New Studies On Pots - Gastrostuff Etc, Diabetes Type 1, Etc

With type 1 diabetes, there are autoimmune diseases associated with having the condition. A person with type 1 diabetes has a 50% risk of developing autoimmune thyroid disease and a 30% chance of developing celiac disease.

AAG could have caused my diabetes, by messing with the signals that innervate the insulin producing cells of my body, thus causing type 1 diabetes. Autoimmune dysautonomia and autoimmune endocrine problems are linked with the anti-peripherin antibody.

I would be likely to believe that the POTS in type 1 diabetes in a child has more to do with autoimmunity than autonomic nervous system damage due to diabetes.

Diabeticgonewild - maybe you can answer this question. A neurologist I saw recently who specializes in neuropathy wants me to have a several hour glucose tolerance test to look for diabetes. I had this test done years ago and it showed the glucose didn't really rise, stayed lowish/normal, but on a flat line over the hours. I've had SO many tests done over the years, I'm thinking if blood sugar was an issue, something would have shown by now. I have occasional low blood glucose, but have never seen a high reading and I've had the A1C test which is always normal. She is insisting the GTT is the best test for diabetes. Is that correct? The drink makes me dizzy and I don't really want to do it if she's wrong.

I have had type 1 diabetes since the age of 11, when i look back thats when i can first remember all the POTS symptoms starting, at the time and all through my teenage years i put feeling sick and poorly down to the diabetes or nueropathy cause by the diabetes. Now years later i have had many tests in many parts of the body looking for nueropathy and unbelievably i dont appear to have nueropathy of any degree. So i believe a lot of it in my case is EDS related and autoimmune that happened when i hit puberty and 11, some complex auto immune issue happened, attacked my insulin cells and set off the Diabetes and POTs. The route cause is the EDS that somehow sets the autoimmune issues off i think.

I strongly believe if i didnt have EDS, I wouldnt have Diabetes even though they can not prove that link yet.On my mothers side there is a history of both Diabetes type 1 and EDS, in fact my relative was the first person to ever have insulin in the UK years ago, so they were extremely lucky to have lived, this person also had EDS i think.

At present i dont have celiacs or thyroid problems..........watch this space though..... :rolleyes:

Oh and Niomi

I would say that if your HB1C as they call it in the UK or use to, is normal, and you have bought yourself a cheap glucose monitoring machine from the say the pharmacy and tested yourself through the day and night and all is normal, what would be the point in further testing if it is only going to make you ill?

I think in a non diabetic, after a meal your glucose levels shouldnt go above 10ml i think, so if you are only getting low blood sugar levels, this does not mean you are a type 1 or 2 diabetic.

If you diabetes i think you would recognise the symptoms more, drinking uncontrolable amounts of water and never quenching your thirst, weight loss, acidic breath, and feeling generally terrible, although thats hard to distinguish for a lot of us i know!!

Just my opinion.

Interesting enough i did have a gastric emtying scan, and it was slightly delayed, however its believed to be a result of the EDS not being able to hold the presurre in the stomach and intestines and is slow at pushing the food through, that cuases the delay in emptying, not nueropathy in my case.My Dr explained it as having a rubber water pipe for a tap instead of a mental one, when you have EDS! It cant sustain the pressure.

I'm one of those weird POTSies that does not really have gastro problems. I am very lactose intolerant though. I ate gluten free for years and at some point I thought maybe it helped, but after being back on gluten for a while now, I have not noticed any changes in my stomach or in POTS. I just have to avoid dairy or I will have bloating, nausea and all of those symptoms.