I Was Diagnosed With Sjogren's Syndrome Yesterday

I have a good friend with Sjogren's and Crohn's. She got the Sjogren's diagnosis first and then started having terrible diarrhea which led to the Crohn's diagnosis. She mainly just takes immunosuppressants--prednisone and humira.

Good luck to you. I hope you can find a tolerable treatment. I know my friend had a rough time finding medications that she could take that didn't make her feel worse.

Rich, I'm sure hoping this will make a difference for you. Finding the pieces of the puzzle and getting things put together makes for a lot more peace of mind. Sort of lifts a heavy burden - because, now you are starting to figure things out. Hoping that there will be some sucess in your treatment, now that you know more what you're dealing with.

Issie

Guest Alex

Rich,

keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Hope you'll be able to figure out the best course of treatment, now that you know a bit more about whatever it is that you're facing.

Keep us posted.

Best of luck,

Alex

Seems strange to say that it is great to have a dx like this, but guessing your quest to find primary cause is closer??

I admire your strength to not give up Rich!!

:)

This also gets me to thinking about some things have seen Issie post in regards to auto immune at the core of a lot of this.

I had dry mouth but I always chalked it up to pots because I never had it before my pots flared up bad. And My eyes aren't dry at all during except in the morning when I wake up. I still have to go for a salivary scan and eye testing to see how bad the damage is..

Interesting. We have similar symptoms and I've always had dry mouth and eyes since this started. Maybe I should be tested. Of course I couldn't even get a skin biopsy for SFN so I doubt I can get anything else here.

Well having one of either of the two Sjogren's antibodies is the most definitive. If you are negative for them like I was, then they do three other test. They do a salivary scan, eye test and biopsies. There are 2 types of eye tests; one for tear production and the other for dry spots. They have two types of salivary scans. And usually they do both or either a lip biopsy or a parotid biopsy. Out of these 3 types of test the biopsy is the most definitive. So I would say many ppl classified as AAG actually are seronegative other autoimmune disease. In a study Mayo published about the outcome of 6 AAG patients half were seronegative AAG antibodies, yet the same therapy helped those patient who were negative and Mayo hypothesized that they probably have some other underlying autoimmune disease. What I don't understand is why other autoimmune cause neuropathies isn't FDA approved for the same treatments. Even AAG isnt approved for IG and Plasma yet..