Problems With Edema

clairc

Hi!

I'm having trouble coping with edema at the moment. My lower legs are swollen up so much that I can't wear my knee high compression stockings because they roll and dig in. They fit me fine 2 weeks ago and I'm really struggling without them. I don't know what to do. I have yet to find a pair of thigh highs that fit because I'm short and fat. I can't afford to buy made to measure and the ones I got on prescription didn't fit and the fabric made me itch like crazy. I tried ankle braces but the swelling in my lower legs bulged over the tops. I don't know what to do!

I'm having trouble with my right hand swelling too. Every time I use it to do anything it swells up and my fingers are stiff. It's not painful but it is quite uncomfortable. The swelling goes down after a while so every time I show my GP she said it isn't swollen.

Does anyone else get swelling like this? I manage my POTS with increased fluids and salt but I'm not sure if this is making the swelling worse.

Clair

Clair....I have a few thoughts. Take pics of your hands and ankles while swollen and while normal. On the back of these pics, write the measurement of how big around that ankle/hand was at the time of the picture. My second thought is if you have a cardiologist, consult with them. Edema can be an indication of something serious. As for finding some more immediate relief, try using ACE bandages wrapped with light compression around your feet and legs below the knee...that's what a wound care center had me do for a family member that had edema (along with a wound). You'll have to buy the really long bandages to cover that whole area and you want the ones that are 3-4 inches wide. Be sure not to cut off circulation. But take your pics and measurements of the swelling before bandaging and then right as you take them off. As with compression stockings you shouldn't wear them at night.

I have trouble w swelling too. Especially my left side--both hand and lower leg. I have mentioned this to my cardiologist and my endo. Neither were concerned b/c the swelling comes and goes--and is almost completely relieved after a night's rest. I think edema could be concerning when it does not fluctuate like this? For me it will be much worse on days I am either less active or very warm (eg summer). My ankle can really get quite large but like you it of course never is when I am in to see a doctor.

Guest Alex

It's possible that the extra fluids and salt cause the swelling. I complained about edema when I was on florinef and i was salt and water loading, but it was coming and going in my case. Also it was usually worse whenever I was consuming more salt.

Katie gave you some really good advice - some pics along with measurements for comparison purposes.

Are you on any meds, supplements that you can blame for this? Can it be an allergic reaction to something?

If i were you I'd take keep a log, take some pics and measurements and I'd go see a dr about this.

Hope you figure things out soon.

Keep us posted.

Alex