Lightheadedness Gets Better During Period (While On Birth Control Pill)

Leigh8

Hi guys,

I have been taking the birth control pill (Reclipsen) for a while now, and noticed that when I am taking the inactive pills and have my period, my lightheadedness gets about 50% better.

I thought that maybe the birth control was making me lightheaded, and so I felt better when I just had the inactive pills, so I stopped taking it. But that didn't work - didn't help my lightheadedness at all.

Does anyone else experience this? Or have any ideas on why this happens? I guess it's good that I have a few days every month when I feel less lightheaded, but I just wish it could be a constant thing!

Thanks!

Thanks Naomi. I too thought it might not have anything to do with the birth control pills, but when I stopped them, I stopped getting that improvement in my lightheadedness during my period. I only get the improvement while on birth control. I don't get it....

Thanks Naomi. I too thought it might not have anything to do with the birth control pills, but when I stopped them, I stopped getting that improvement in my lightheadedness during my period. I only get the improvement while on birth control. I don't get it....

Ohhh, I get you. I would ask the GYN how being on the pill differs from your natural hormones. Maybe being on them keeps things more level and you get less of a drop during your period.... or something like that. I'd still love to know why I do better the week before - I would bottle and take whatever it is.

Leigh, glad you feel better during that week, not sure what the reason though. I'm like Naomi, the week prior to is my best week. I think it has something to do with the increased progesterone, I wonder what it does in the body in regards to POTS, etc.

Same here...once I ovulate the two week run up to period is AWful! Exacerbation of all symptoms and by the time it comes to 2 days before I really struggle to keep going....always such a relief in symptoms when it comes! I get my good week or so just after my period.

Strange how individualised the reaction to different hormone surges are amongst us!

I cannot tolerate any BCP containing Oestrogen and two weeks ago started a progesterone only to curb the crazy rollercoaster of symptoms but I dont think its suiting me much. Migraine headaches and vision black spots have gotten really bad, feeling nauseous all the time and its getting harder and harder to pull my body out of the bed in the morning!

Hormones are a conundrum!!

I feel worse before and during my period, and I react badly to hormonal contraception. I haven't been on the combined pill as they flatly refuse due to my migraine history, but I've been on (and hated) a few progestogen-only forms.

Is there a pattern here?

It sounds to me like some of us are sensitive to estrogen or other hormones and some find improvement with them, that is very interesting to me. I have always suspected that my hormones are slightly imbalanced, as I have all sorts of period related issues but have never had them tested. My gynecologist has told me that it seems like the less estrogen in a pill the better in my case, she couldn't explain why this is though.

I do know that prior to my period my blood pressure also is almost always at its absolute lowest, usually 85/50