Weird Symptom... Anyone Else Have This?

I occasionally (2-3 times a week on different scales of intensity) get a burning sensation in my outer ear, the ear itself turns fire red and it is hot to the touch and painful (mostly left ear, occasionally right). Nothing much helps (doc suggested ice though he never heard of this himself). Has anyone else had this as a symptom if so any successful treatments?

Some of the people on this site may be able to tell you if this is some mast cell thing or neuropathy. I just wanted to say I did have this happen before. I used to have both ears get that hot feeling for no reason. It would happen off and on. I never got any answers except that it could be because of anxiety or stress. I am wondering if it was a deficiency in my body, I had lost a lot of weight and was not feeling well overall.

2 of my boys' ears light up very bright after eating certain foods. Not sure if this is the same thing. I wonder about the one having dysautonomia but he hasn't been tested. The other has been allergy tested but didn't react to anything. The allergist said he is probably allergic to the preservatives, or dies in some foods.

I haven't had this recently, but I remember having this as a kid/teenager. It happened quite frequently (not daily, but probably a couple of times a month). I used ice because it was so uncomfortable. That would have been in the late 70s/early 80s so I never really figured out what it was.

DBP4620, Sufilizard, and others:

Did your ear itching start deep inside the ear? I have had lifelong ear problems (pressure, vertigo when traveling, pain when diving, tinnitus) but the itchy stuff started after irritating my ears in the winter when I was in the cold ocean. After getting buried by waves a couple times one day, my rotational vertigo problem started. Then I got terrible itching inside both ears, leaking brown fluid, tinnitus, sounds like being underwater (strange sound effects). I was so dizzy I had to hold on to the walls at work, and got really distressed and confused when standing. After 5 doctor visits that winter – including one to the ER after stabbing pain one night in right ear (entire right side went numb and stiff) – I was unable to get help. My GP prescribed me OTC antihistamines. The ENT said I caused these problems myself with Q-tips (“Q-tip trauma” is what she wrote on my record.) Another one gave me Erthromyacin at my insistence despite getting “all clear” assessment from physician. I also got Ciprofloxacin that year, again at my insistence, although tests were negative for infections. All to no avail.

A couple years later I had itching again deep inside my left ear. It spread to outer ear eventually, then these same symptoms started in right ear.

Last summer my Neurologist prescribed Acyclovir for various symptoms (Cysts in outer ears and bottom; vertigo) and low and behold my vertigo stopped! I almost fell over in relief and shock. I had forgotten what it felt like to feel calm inside my head after 6 years of non-stop spinning sensations and nausea. I acquired a resistance to the Acyclovir after a couple months. I have gone through 2 rounds of Valacyclovir in the last couple months, mostly to keep the Shingles in remission.

The new symptom: Today I got burning “hot” feeling in both ears, and I got really angry and terribly agitated at the same time. I was screaming at my son for no reason (I think he just said he wanted something to eat). I had to apologize to him and tell him I wasn’t feeling well today. I had terrible anxiety, panicking, and general malaise. Felt “numb” and exhausted after this attack. I felt better much after I finally got to lay down today. I got off Valacylovir 4 weeks ago, and am wondering if these ear symptoms are a result of the ear problems creeping back in a new form. Have had intermittent dizziness, and vertigo while traveling, but thank god the rotational vertigo has not come back.

I have had problems with occasional rage episodes all my life which I attributed to Bipolar. But today the combo of acute ear symptoms together with sudden and really bad rage/agitation – I am starting to rethink this symptom. There is an old saying “hot around the ears” and I have often suspected a connection with acute emotional response, agitation, and ear symptoms. Has anyone else had this kind of combo? I know Van Gogh had temporal epilepsy and terrible ear problems, rage. Sometimes these episodes leave me numb and feeling shell-shocked. But I don’t have the other seizure-type symptoms.

I really appreciate the comfort I get from this forum. Just reading all the odd problems makes me feel less alone! Thank you.

Guest maia

I occasionally (2-3 times a week on different scales of intensity) get a burning sensation in my outer ear, the ear itself turns fire red and it is hot to the touch and painful (mostly left ear, occasionally right). Nothing much helps (doc suggested ice though he never heard of this himself). Has anyone else had this as a symptom if so any successful treatments?

Yes, though it only happens a couple times a year for me. Usually it wakes me up from sleeping. Its like ive been stung by something but havent. burning like a match is being held to it, bright red, swolen feeling and absolutely can not be touched. No idea what it is and its usually my left ear too.