plasma renin and aldosterone tests

Radha

have any of had the renin and aldosterone blood tests? online it says that you have to stop certain meds, and high salt affects it and whether you lying down, but when i called the hospital, they said there were no restrictions, and how important are these tests to POTS? thanks for any info, wishing you all a good night, and sweet dreams!!

radha

Hi Rahda,

My endo just ordered these tests and I had them done today. I found similar info that you did online on one website, but other sites did not mention any restrictions. I got the same response you did when I called the testing lab to see if there were any dietary or med restrictions - they said no. I did limit my salt intake the day and night before the test though. I had some salt, but not nearly as much as I normally do. Hopefully it won't skew the results.

My endo also ordered a cosyntropin panel where they inject a natural hormone in your body that stimulates the adrenals and then they draw blood after 30 mins. and then 60 mins. It tests adrenal response.

The endocorine system, especially adrenals can definitely affect blood pressure and other ANS functions. I got this statement from a great website that Morgan recommended called http://www.labtestsonline.org/

"Aldosterone, a mineralocorticoid hormone that is also produced by the adrenal cortex, manages the salt and potassium balance in the blood. Without enough of these two hormones, the body becomes weak and dehydrated, unable to maintain an adequate blood pressure or to respond properly to stress."

Aldosterone is produced by the outer part of the two adrenal glands, located at the top of each kidney; its production is stimulated by a complex pathway that includes several other ?hormones.? The most important of these are renin and angiotensin II, produced indirectly by the action of renin. Angiotensin II then regulates production of aldosterone. In normal people, when renin increases (due to low blood flow to the kidneys, low blood pressure, or salt deficiency), aldosterone increases; when renin is low, aldosterone decreases.

Hope that helps!

Gena

I have had the tests as well but was taking salt when I had them... I was never told to stop any meds or salts.... It came back negative.....

I wonder if it was properly done?

Jenn - A high salt diet, according to the lab test web site can definitely affect the outcome of the test. If mine turns out normal, I'm going to ask my doc if he feels he should run it again and how long I need to cut my salt intake in order for it not to skew the results.

Gena

Hi Gena and Ernie - I am going to mention this to my Dr when I see him too... At least to get it repeated without the salt....

oh boy, they are coming tomorrow morning to draw the blood and i have had my usual high salt intake!! now i'm worried, wish i had read your posts earlier in the day! isnt it terrible that we have to do all the work and cant rely on the doctors to tell us this stuff? but why does the hospital say no restrictions if salt does affect it? thanks for all your replies,

radha