Hair Color...

Hope

Does anybody feel worse after using hair color? I use Natural Instincts because there are suppose to be less chemicals, but I seem to feel dizzy, vibrating, and more fatigued after I color my hair! I don't like to be gray, and my husband really hates my gray but I don't feel like it's worth it to increase my symptoms just to get rid of the gray. Just wondered if anybody else encountered this.

YES I have the same problem. I am afraid honestly to use any home-use coloring products b/c the last couple of times I did I felt very poorly right afterwards--almost like a reaction, but the symptoms were POTS symptoms. I do not have a reaction like that if I go to a salon. I believe it is b/c there is less of the chemical on my scalp. The scalp is so rich in blood vessels and easy to transmit a chemical via contact for that reason?

I've used several different brands of haircolor since my POTS dx with no problems whatsoever.

I might be off here, but have you ladies looked into chemical sensitivities being responsible for the issues with hair color products? Also, there are henna based products you can use with similar results and less/no harsh chemicals.

Alex

I will never put color chemicals on my hair again...I used to feel terrible because I was brain washed that blondes had more fun...I don't call this fun! I have naturally beautiful hair that is just fine without the color now. Woman now are embracing their grey hair...I give them more power : ) I think they look great. Why is it men can have grey hair and they look distinguished, but their is more pressure on woman to color their hair? Also,if you read about coloring your hair, it will tell you how those chemicals are going all over your body. Most woman color their hair in the shower.

I also feel worse with shampoos with chemicals in them... I have to use all natural shampoos or my symptoms are worse too.

Embrace your gray and throw your color away ~ : ) " Hubby will still love you.

I'm embracing my silver streaks. They are a pretty color and I tried the hair dye thing and it never turned out the color I wanted --my hair would always grab the red color in the dye and it didn't turn out the way it was supposed to. Since I have vitiligo - you lose pigment color in your hair too. So, when the spots where I lost hair in chunks due to alopecia - what came back in is a beautiful silver color. I asked the hair stylist about putting in more silver streaks - but, they said it would be hard to match the color and it is naturally coming in --so just wait a little while longer and it will happen on it's own. Everyone loves the way my hair is coloring itself. So, got to accept it and go with the flow.

Issie

I thought my hair color was making me worse, but it turned out that it was because my hands were above my head too much while trying to do it myself. Now that I have someone else doing it for me, I have no more issues.

^This. I was going to post that my sister and I used to dye each others hair. Simply standing on my feet in a single spot is what was the issue for me. I do miss my dark cherry brown hair though. :)

There are natural hair colors available. I have a friend who uses them and says they work just as well as the others. I wish I looked good in grey, I do not. I look old and sallow, and its not just my opinion. I think everyone is different, but I think I will be fighting the grey, as long as I can.

I will say when I am feeling extremely bad, I could care less how I look and let it go.

The health food store color product smelled even worse to me than the regular.

I sometimes feel sick after hair coloring. I will only have some highlights and some grey colored. No all over color and I have found someone to come to my house as I think the salon sink was really bad for my neck and headaches and POTS.

It is a big pain to do it, but like so many above, I just don't like the grey. It is aging and makes me look even more pale.

I found the same thing..symptoms worse after coloring and even migraines... I don't like the way I look with grey either but feel like I have no options. It is coming in grey at the top..wish it could change over more quickly. Tried henna..it is very drying and a huge mess.

Most hair dyes give me headaches and mild skin reactions, any dizzy type reaction I've had I would attribute to the fact that dying my own hair requires me to stand up with my hands on my head for a long period of time.

That being said, I would highly recommend the henna hair dyes from Lush. They still have a scent, but at least for me I do not find it irritating. Its just an herb-y type scent. They are fantastic for your hair as well. With how sensitive I am I just prefer to avoid chemicals with crazy names alltogether. Also if you can, what I do is find a helpful friend who wants to come have a "hair dying party" aka come apply dye to my hair while I sit down haha.

I am 20 and already have gray hair so unfortunately I have deemed all this necessary <_<

I have had Issues with this since my Dysautonomia onset but suspect as someone else mentioned that it is more of an issue with chemical sensitivities/ reactions. (I suspect for me it is a mast cell activation issue.)

During my last hair coloring at the salon where they used the most sensitive product they have my BP dropped to 80/50 for 5 hours and was the startof another bad crash. No amount of salt or fluid helped raise my BP. I had the coloring mid day and that evening my nine yr old came in my bedroom and asked me if I was ok. I told him how I had a reaction to the hair color and that I was thinking I might have to go grey. He said, "no mommy. Don't do that. Just have your hair color appt at the end of the day and then you can go home and go to bed.". - so sweet.

This mama won't be embracing grey anytime soon but I will be sure to schedule a late day appt and a day or two of recovery afterwards.

This mama won't be embracing grey anytime soon but I will be sure to schedule a late day appt and a day or two of recovery afterwards.

:D

Yes, I have the same problem. It definitely makes me sicker. I've been avoiding coloring my hair for weeks because I don't want to go through it, but my hair is in serious need of some love. I never thought about checking my BP after - I'll have to check it out.

I actually have been researching this very topic for the last month after having a very serious reaction last time I did my hair.....never had a lot of problems before. Apparently there is a chemical known as PPD in hair dyes that many people are starting to have allergic reactions to.(FYI the darker the hair dye the more PPD) Unfortunately they have even had fatalities (rare but still scary!) It is becoming a huge issue in the hair colour industry....and you can build up a sensitivity to this chemical so that every time you dye the reaction becomes worse and worse. After my last go around I have decided to only go with PPD free dyes like manic panic or Cosomo Love Your Colour (they don't last as long but atleast I don't have to be worried about being rushed to the ER ;) also, going with dyes that are ammonia free is a good idea as it can also being pretty toxic.....if anyone is interested just do a google search for PPD in hair dye....there is a ton of information on it

Bren

I use Frost and Glow (I think that's what it's called anyway) and it sometimes seems like an all day affair. I am with dani on this...I think for me it's the amount of time standing with my hands raised that does me in. So, I have to do it in sessions. I walk around my house looking like a pin cushion for a while. No worries though, since I really have nowhere to go and no one to see (except when the gardener comes while I'm in the process :blink: !) Plus, I think that because I use a cap, it might help somewhat. I've never really have a problem. I have bits of grey, but they don't bother me, I truly believe that women should grow old gracefully!! I just do it because I like the look and so does the hubby!!

Hope you find some alternatives!! Great suggestions so far :)

Best of luck!

Be well,

Bebe

All this hair talk - made me want to go cut mine. And I did ---myself. I know BRAVE - right? It turned out really cute. I have a chin length layerd bob --that I flipped out and cut bangs. I really like it and it looks thicker being a little shorter. What us women do sometimes. LOL! I could've been coming on here crying that I'd messed it up --but, I DIDN'T :) WHEW!

Issie

Haha you are brave issie! The only times I have issues at the salon are when I'm having a hard time being upright for too long. I'm happy because I like my red locks! I'm a natural blond (shh don't tell! :P) but once POTS wreaked havoc on my life the ashy blond was making me look so washed out and even sicker. The red adds some color to my face so I don't look so ill when I'm feeling bad!