Bad Blood Pooling In Legs - Anyone Ideas?

Soap

Hello

I've got POTS, had it for years. At times the blood pooling in my legs gets really bad. My skin hurts, my lower legs hurt and are swollen. I try to put them up but one cannot get much done with your feet up ;). More exercise (I try cross-trainer or just walking) often helps (although not straight away) and more rest does too. But sometimes, like now, I can't seem to get it to go away.

Anyone got any tips? Keep on walking the dog till its gone? Sleep?

I once tried pressure stockings, bought at Boots (pharmacist) but hated the tight feeling.

Suggestions very welcome (while I try to cook dinner with my feet up, LOL)

Sophie

Hi Sophie, I'm sorry you're dealing wit this. I had my compression hose measured to seize and really love it. Thanks to the octreotide I pool much less (both in stomach and legs) but now and then wear my compression hose when driving or when I have some pooling (I'm on octreotide LAR which has some little dips in between the good days!). Maybe a well measured hose would be of help for you too? Can't really think of anything else that could help.

Hi Corina, thanks for your reply! Its a real pain (litereally, I suppose), so yes, perhaps I should look into these stockings again....sigh. I am not on octreotide (just beta blockers). I know that when I exercise a lot (every day) I don't get it so much, but because my overall health doesn't improve much and it is sooo hard to make the time to exercise I tend to slack....and not exercise so much...or tell myself walking the dog is enough. But after a few weeks I get really bad blood pooling....so while thinking tonight I suppose I just HAVE to exercise again and will look into stockings again too!!

Hi Soap,

I hate the compression stockings that are like tight pantyhose type material. But if you search online (I use a sight called Discount Surgical Stockings) you can get compression knee highs that are more like a sports sock material. I can wear those all day without getting irritated. They are a lot cheaper than the other type as well so it might be worth trying a pair.

I also can't afford a full recumbent bike, so I bought one of those pedalers that you can use sitting in a chair. I have much less pooling since using this tool. And you can use it when you're sitting at a desk or sitting and watching TV, or writing on the computer, or paying bills. It helps to pump both blood and fluid out of your legs and will also tone those calf muscles (slowly but it will happen) which in turn helps keep the pooling to a minimum. I spent less than $50 on mine and it works just fine. I do it for an hour each night by using a choosing a TV show and doing it for the length of that show. I do not pedal vigorously...just slow and steady so I get the benefit without triggering other symptoms.

Hi Sophie! Have you tried midodrine? That has honestly made the most difference in my pooling. I can tell when it's starting to wear off, especially at night, or in the morning before it kicks in, because my legs ache when I stand. With every step, there's a jolt of pain. Turn some really fun colors, too. Midodrine tightens those blood vessels up.

The stockings work too, but my feet and legs just cramp up too much when I wear them.

Hi Sophie,

I have found compression leggings to be extremely helpful for pooling. They are 20-30 mmHg. Like Katie, I discovered the Discount Surgical website and order them from there. I am fortunate in that inspite of salt and fluid loading I do not have ankle or foot edema which of course would prevent one from wearing them. The leggings are also nice in that you can wear sandles with them.

I also recently went back to a Physical Therapist for a few sessions to learn more skeletal muscle pump exercises which I believe should be helpful for pooling. As much as I do not enjoy it walking does help. I would love to try midodrine but I have too labile of a blood pressure. I hope you find something helpful.

Janet

thank you all for your helpful replies!

Katybug, I'll have to go and look for those sporty stockings you mention. thanks for that. Sounds a lot better!! We do actually have a cross trainer at home, so I suppose I should just visit it a bit more often....:(

Libby, no I haven't tried midodrine. I am a bit reluctant to try medication (besides the beta blockers I'm on) but I"ve heard that it does help. So unless I manage to stick to a regular exercise regime, midodrine is something I might want to consider.

Really grateful to always find helpful answers here on this forum. Thanks so much guys/girls. I suspect the simplest solution is just exercise....trouble is I don't enjoy exercise and for some reason already find the days are just too short. I try to work, do the housework, rest and play/work with the kids and an hour for exercise just never seem to fit in. But I know they are just excuses as its a matter of prioritising and I'll have to find time. Last year I exercised 5x a week (an experiment to see what it would do) and found that my blood pooling was a lot better, although my overall health was no different. I felt the investment of time and energy was hardly weighing up to the benefits so I stopped exercising so regularly. But now, whenever I don't 'move' for a few weeks, I get these really, really bad blood pooling legs. So perhaps I am just not listening to my own body.....

I was looking into leg compression devices the other day, not sure if it would be counter productive but it might be helpful. If you have a good relationship with your GPm maybe they could contact the local lymphedema clinic and see if they have a machine that they might be willing to let you try!

I found an article that might be of interest.

http://www.longmafutu.com/pdf/2/9.pdf