Flushing

Hi,

I have several episodes of night sweats that were being blamed on menopause for over a year, and also worse and worse flushing during the day which do not produce any sweat. My rhumatologist recently suggested that I am having autonomic dysfunction that is causing this in addition to pots. I recently did a few tests for the histimine issue and will get the results later this week. Has anyone had this 2 type of flushing at 2 different times of day? thanks

I have that flushing also. It's horrible. I am also just in menopause, so I'm assuming doctors just brush it off as that. I flush immediately to heat, but also out of the blue when temps are okay. Let us know what you find out labwise and what more your doctors say about it.

I flush multiple times a day. I do have POTS, EDS, and MCAS. Yesterday, the rest of me was shivering and my face was flushed and hot. Every evening between 8-10 pm, I flush on my face, neck, and chest. I also am often flushed and having hot flashes in the morning until about noon. There doesn't seem to be any trigger I can identify. I think its just an unfortunate effect of mcas and POTS.

Katybug, do you know what causes that exactly? I've had some flushing episodes like what you describe - really red face and shivering all over. I was at the doctor once when it happened and the nurse thought I was having a seizure because it came on so suddenly and I was shaking so much. I also feel really out of it and exhausted when it's over. I don't think I have MCAS - never been tested but I don't think I have the symptoms and the flushing only occurs every few months during bad POTS flares. I've asked a couple of doctors and none of them had any ideas what would cause them, but I'm very curious!

I haven't been able to pinpoint what causes what. POTS/dysautonomia can commonly cause temperature dysregulation, so it could be that. But, MCAS commonly causes flushing and shivering/chills. If someone was going to make me choose, I "feel" like the hot flashes in the morning are more related to POTS as that when I have my worst POTS symptoms and I "feel" like the late evening flushes are from mcas because I often have some chest constriction and itching along with that.

I went through surgical menopause a few years ago. In the past few months, I have started having weird episodes of "hot flashes" - it starts in the center of my chest and radiates outward - I get extremely hot all over - no sweating - occasionally turn red - most of the time, my heart rate drops out and my pacemaker kicks in along with multiple arrhythmias. It is especially worse at night when I turn over. It occurs every--now-and-then during the day and when it does, everyone looks concerned that is around me. I do not think this is anything related to menopause. I never had any hot flashes after my hysterectomy and they would not be starting now, years later. It is definitely related to position and that's why it occurs at night: I'm lying down and flip from side to side. I'm chalking it up to the weird and annoying world of dysautonomia.......

Thanks for all the replies, I see that I am not alone with this symptom. Honestly I had not thought it was related to position but the ones that cause me to sweat are pretty much all overnight, thus the confusion with hormones being off for over a year. So a new consideration for me, thanks. I am still working on adjusting hormones just in case. I also feel flushed and cold at the same time sometimes. I just recorded my overnight sleep breathing and found that the time of night I start in with the hot flushes, my breathing is significantly more intense, not the shallow breathing of my early sleep hours, so maybe something is reving up that gets my breathing elevated and overheats me. My heart rate from my pulse oximeter changes around a bit during the night, but dosent go even to 90 but a few times ususally. No way to know my overnight blood pressure with the equipment I have. The daytime flushing is exacerbated by heat, warm shower, rubbing my face with a wash cloth, putting on olive oil (my moisturizer), sunlight, sometimes a clothing seam can do it. A cool breeze is uncomfortable on my face also.These are things I never had before. I am not looking forward to summer!

You may already know about this but just in case, Niacin is a primary trigger for MCAS related flushing.

Interestingly when tested for nutritional deficiencies I had significantly depleted levels of Niacin in my blood work. After taking a niacin supplement I started getting bouts of cutaneous flushing. Now that I am no longer taking the supplements I still flush but it is not as severe and does not reach the cutaneous level (meaning I get the severe chemical burn feeling in my blood and bones and all the associated symptoms of deep mental fogging, fatigue, etc without the bright red upper torso.). So now I am deficient in Niacin but now don't turn bright red when I flush.

Don't know much about hot flashes but suspect they are different in their chemical/hormonal trigger.