Provigil - Modaphinil

I was prescribed Provigil/Modafinil last October. I had to spend a ton of money on a sleep study before a doctor would prescribe it and my insurance would cover it. In the end, I hate taking it. It helps me function and get work done, but I will still be tired and the side effects are really bad for me. I can't take the full dose of 200mg without getting a debilitating headache. A half a dose will get be through 3-4 hours before I need it again, but if I take it after 1pm, I have a hard time sleeping at night.

Now I only take it when I am literally falling asleep at work. Otherwise, I prefer a significant amount of coffee.

This is just my experience, so if you feel like you need it, remember that everyone's biochemistry and reaction to medicine is different.

Last summer was prescribed Nuvigel, (same family as Provigil) it was $1,300 for thirty day script.

Insurance would not cover.

It was very helpful for mental fatigue, brain fog.

And no side effects.

Because it was too expensive, the gp then prescribed generic Ritalin. I did not care for that one, short acting, and not as effective for brain fog.

If insurance would cover Nuvigil, I would definitely request to have it, it was that helpful. Apparently it's only covered for certain sleep disorder and not uncommon to have sleep study first.

Provigil was suggested as other med, at slightly lower price of $700 for 30 days. (again, insurance would not cover )

It made me so sick with with the worse headaches. I still fell asleep taking the med that I decided not to refill it. Coffee is a better choice as long as I only have just one. : )

• 2 months later...

Ack! Drug companies! There is some kind of conspiracy in our country with drugs, costs, and supplies. Provigil is a "no-no" according to the FDA so....drug company develops a "new" version called..."Nuvigil" - conveniently, it is a thousand times the cost of the original drug allegedly because the drug company has to spend so much money to "create" a new drug....yet, it is the same drug as before, just packaged differently! Oh by the way, there is a national shortage of almost every drug so conveniently....it costs more to get a drug because of the "critical" shortage - if you can even get the drug. Somehow, the more common the drug, the more it is in shortage but, the expensive drugs are readily available....just smells of conspiracy and kickbacks.....

Yea, tried it, but only once for one day. It didn't really do much the day I took it. I felt a slight energy boost but definitely not a pots cure for me. Although, I have heard from other, non pots, people that it helps them focus on their work more. If you take it please let us know your experience.

In my opinion it seems to not make my pots any better or any worse. It does however help with my CFS. I usually don't take naps anymore. I lay down and rest but I don't actually sleep.

I'm away with my family at the moment but when I get home I'm going to skip it for a day or two to see if its helping me.

I took nuvigil and had a major anxiety episode. Most likely it was a coincidence but I'm afraid of it so I just stick with the provigil.

It seems to help me a lot with brain fog. The second time I took it I actually had a conversation with my kid's school nurse. I did not embarrass myself and didn't have word recall issues- I was standing up and articulate.

It has been a positive experience so far but I'm leery of drugs due to past reactions.

• 1 year later...

Excellent thanks. I tried it for the first time yesterday and today at 100mgs and it was interesting. Definately increased my energy, my standing time and I did not a higher tachycardia but I felt relaxed. lasted a long time too - from about 1pm to 7pm which is amazing. Today much less response.

As a side effect I found myself having to stop from getting aggressive with people that were talking to me. It was like I was so focused that people talking to me annoyed me because I just wanted to think about what my mind wanted. I dont know it was kinda weird.

Other thing was I woke like Id been run over by a truck today. Really thirsty, out of it and kinda dopey.

It must have dopamine action because everything I look at looks so amazing or something. Weird. Also food tasted much better than normal.

I drank coffee with it and that pushed me over the edge I think.

• 7 months later...

I tried Nuvagil and Provagil and had bad experiences with both of them. The Nuvagil was given to me for CFS as a sample drug many years ago by my then Rheumatologist. One pill gave me three days of no sleep, severe flu like symptoms and a crash that lasted weeks. Last year I decided to give Provigil a try ( pretty ridiculous I know ). It was prescribed for OSA with persistent symptoms despite APAP use by my Pulmonologist. Well the side effects for me were not as severe as with the Nuvagil but they were still very significant. Recently on one of the mast cell forums I came across a discussion on Provogil. I found it to be quite interesting as this drug was recognized as a pro histamine drug and a potential hazard to those with mast cell issues. Left me wondering if that was why I had such a severe reaction to it. Anyway I would just proceed cautiously if considering this medication.

Janet

Personally I've found Ritalin (very low dose at 2.5 mg) to be most helpful. It does a better job at keeping my BP up than midodrine. Adderall (very low dose) put me to sleep and made me cranky. Any higher dose of Ritalin gives me jitters, tachycardia and a migraine.