Multiple Sclerosis

I agree about having the mri done. Before my son was diagnoised with POTS, they did this to rule out ms.

Here's an article about people with POTS and MS: http://www.medsci.org/v07p0062.htm

I was nervous about this too and had a brain MRI to rule it out. When I talked to my neuro about it he said that MS can initially present as POTS but it's very rare in the absence of other more specific MS symptoms. He hadn't seen or heard of any such cases but since MS can cause autonomic dysfunction it is possible, and he still checks all his POTS patients for it.

Pots can be a presenting sign or a secondary manifestation of MS although in most cases people with POTS dont have MS>

Rama, This is an important distinction. Many MS, Parkinson's and CFS patients develop pots, yet few people with pots develop MS, Parkinson's or CFS.

Mayo's newest paper published this year notes that 50% of pots patients have a viral onset.

CFS patients have a high viral load to CMV, EBV and HHV6 as well as Coxsackie viruses. Not necessarily to all those viruses, but often to at least 3.

Researchers have long suspected that a retrovirus is the possible etiology of MS, and CFS researchers continue to believe that a retrovirus may be the cause of CFS.