Fingernail Moons? Yes Or No

Christy_D

I was watching some of the videos on Prettyill.com by Dr Diana Driscoll and one was about the fingernails moons, or lack thereof. So I looked at my son's fingernails and he has no fingernail moons. The video didn't really explain what that meant, she states she now has her moons back. Anyone else not have their fingernail moons? And can anyone explain what that means? Is it tied to POTS or MCAS? I googled it and it said underactive thyroid. Is this something I should point out to his doctors? Just curious.....

Christy

I saw the same video and it got me thinking as well. I only have moons on my thumbs as well, however used to have them on all nails. One thing I have noticed is that I don't wash dishes that much anymore. What does this have to do with anything you ask? Well, my mother always taught me to push my cuticles up when ever I was drying my hands, over the years this has become a habit. Not washing dishes frequently or washing much of anything really, I don't regularly push my cuticles up. Since this discovery, I've been conciously doing this every time I wash my hands and low and behold, my moons are back albeit small. Not in any way discounting Dr. Diana, but just some questioning going on on my part. Also, she talks about ridges in our nails. I have always had these as did my mother and her mother. Who knows? Wish I had some answers for you. Best of luck in your search :)

My PCP looked at my nails at my first appointment and noted at I had lunulas (that's what the half-moons are called), among other things. He's a very mainstream doctor, so I suspect there is a genuine reason to pay attention to it, although I didn't ask why. Nails can tell a lot about your overall health.

Maybe look at your son's thumbs and see if they're there? I think they tend to be more noticeable on the thumbs (mine certainly are). If not, maybe ask your doctor? Or it may be nothing, maybe your son's have always been faint.

I'm not familiar with the video you've mentioned but a while back I read an article (non-scientific though) about the lack of lunulas being caused by one of the following: vit B12 deficiency, iodine deficiency, so thyroid issues or carbon monoxide exposure.

Alex

• 1 year later...

Just found this (old) thread - and checked my fingernails immediately. My moons have totally disappeared too, except on my thumbs.

However, I don't have B12 deficiency, no thyroid issues, etc.

A quick search on the net didn't help me either - anyone already has some knowledge about the fingernail moons..?

In fact I was not sure, whether I had moons before I got Pots - I searched some old photos (~5 years, before I became ill) and I definitely had moons on all fingernails.

And I too have prominent, vertical ridges on most of my nails - they all suddenly appeared about one year ago, shortly before I was diagnosed with pots. I am absolutely sure, it has nothing to do with ageing...

Maybe something connected to (small fiber) neuropathy?

Have moons on my thumbs that I can see easily, and what looks like very small moons on some of my fingers. I need my glasses and strong light to see them they are so small.

The very small moons on my fingers are new. I just noticed them. They weren't there a month or so ago.

My thumb moons were absent until a year or so ago.

I also have vertical nail ridges. One of them is white. I put this down to aging - sadly, nails age too and can end up looking not so good.

I've no idea what any of this means. But the return of some of my nail moons does not coincide with me feeling better. I'm having a pretty crappy time now, pots wise. Just when I think I've hit my rock bottom it gets worse. I'm used to ups and downs with POTS but can't remember last time I had an up.

I've seen doctors on tv comment on presence of moons but they never say what they indicate. Totally perplexing.

blue

I only have two moons on both of my thumbs. On the rest of them I don't have any. From what I remember I used to have all my moons before becoming sick with POTS. I'm not 100 percent sure though. Anyway, based on what I am experiencing and what others are saying and experiencing, I think it might be linked to POTS. Interesting....

• 1 month later...

This topic has always interested me because I noticed that my moons on all my fingers went away when I became ill. I even went back on pictures and I had moons on all my fingers. As I got better a year and half later My thumbs were the first to come back. Now they are all slowly coming back except for my pinkies. So weird.

I watched dr. Driscoll's video a year ago and immediatelly checked if I had moons. I had only one, on my left thumb. Now I have them on both thumbs and tiny ones on my index fingers. I used to have them on all of my fingers just few years ago. I also have vertical ridges on my thumbs now. My vitamin B12 is normal, thyroid is ok, too.

• 2 weeks later...

I have moons on my thumbs (more so on the right one) and my right index finger. My nails always have a blue-purple cast and a brownish band below the white part at the tip (it's not dirt! :P below where that would be). I wonder why.

that's so bizarre,I am sure i used to have moons on my fingernails also but do not have any now?

Also for those of you with ridges here is an interesting slide show from Mayo clinic that might be worth checking out...some conditions can be indicated although mostly it seems to be just a feature for some people.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/adult-health/multimedia/nails/sls-20076131