The Symptoms We Get From Pots

376 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I was just diagnosed a few days ago. My cardiologist wrote down "Dysautonomic" on a business card and told me to do my own research at home after he'd explained the general idea. He bet me that I'd identify with all the symptoms I'd find listed... well he won that bet!

For the first time in years, I know it's not in my head. And I'm not being an "oversensitive female"(direct quote from another dr.!!)

Someone wrote earlier that they read through that list and just cried knowing they weren't alone. I'm not an easy cryer. But the past couple days have been world-changing for me and I admit...I cried too.

54 minutes ago, Lainy said:

I was just diagnosed a few days ago. My cardiologist wrote down "Dysautonomic" on a business card and told me to do my own research at home after he'd explained the general idea. He bet me that I'd identify with all the symptoms I'd find listed... well he won that bet!

For the first time in years, I know I'm not crazy. It's not in my head. And I'm not being an "oversensitive female"(direct quote from another dr.!!)

Someone wrote earlier that they read through that list and just cried knowing they weren't alone. I'm not an easy cryer. But the past couple days have been world-changing for me and I admit...I cried too.

Hi Lainy, can I ask about your Dysautonomia being related to seeing a cardiologist please?

I am under a cardiologist or two for Ventricular Tachycardia and it was I having to inform the cardiologist that all the symptoms I suddenly got as soon as they put me on beta-blockers, were not, "anxiety" but due to beta blockers disrupting the autonomic nervous system by blocking adrenaline receptors.  Thankfully he considered I was probably right and apologised for having said anxiety, got my GP to refer me, and I have right away been given an assessment of "Autonomic Instability" from the neurologist.

1 minute ago, Peter Charlton said:

Hi Lainy, can I ask about your Dysautonomia being related to seeing a cardiologist please?

I am under a cardiologist or two for Ventricular Tachycardia and it was I having to inform the cardiologist that all the symptoms I suddenly got as soon as they put me on beta-blockers, were not, "anxiety" but due to beta blockers disrupting the autonomic nervous system by blocking adrenaline receptors.  Thankfully he considered I was probably right and apologised for having said anxiety, got my GP to refer me, and I have right away been given an assessment of "Autonomic Instability" from the neurologist.

I was referred to a cardiologist for tachycardia, palpitations, and very elevated blood pressure that started getting more severe 8 months ago. After a long, long list of tests we determined my heart function is fine and the cardiologist said that it was just stress or anxiety(like you mentioned.)
But then I started talking about all my other symptoms. I met with a second, more experienced cardiologist who has treated a number of "people like me" and he was able to look over my medical history, tests and symptoms and determined it was all tied to a dysfunctional/overactive autonomic nervous system. My cardiologist started me on beta-blockers, a high salt diet and physical therapy two days ago.

I've been searching for answers for over a decade and had given up... I only sought out help again after hypertension, tachycardia and palpitations became daily,  completely debilitating issues on top of everything else on that list at the start of this thread.