POTS and diabetes

dizzygirl

:P Hello all!

Well I am very frustrated at the moment. A few weeks ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I was overwhelmed but in a sense relieved too.

I also have pots.

Yesterday I went to some educational classes on diabetes, and I decided to talk to the nurse about the double whammy of haivng pots and diabetes.

Well to start off with she didnt even know what pots stood for for or what is was. SO I had to explain it to her. :)

It just infurriates me that people in the medical community are just clueless when it comes to pots. It makes me mad

But anyways my point is that I learned about diabetes, but nobody seems to be able to tell how I can better control having pots and diabetes.

I am very frustrated!

And to top it all off, I am having a problem with weakness/heaviness/pain in my legs. It is becoming increasingly difficult for me to get around on my own to feet. My legs feel like they want to just give out, like there is no strength in them,

it happens all the time. I am considering asking my doctor for awheelchair or something, scooter anything. Aside from the normal feeling of pots.. there is now this!

I feel that my health is getting worse, instead of better. ANd you know I sleep so much that I feel as if I am sleeping my entire life away! Its no way to live, but I cant help it...

AGHHH!!!!!! I am in a "potshole" help!

Linda

Sorry you got the double whammy of POTs and diabetes, but on the upside Type 2 diabetes is totally treatable and involves some of the same eating patterns you would follow with POTs. This includes keeping your blood sugar even by eating smaller meals and cutting out refined sugars and refined carbs (i.e., snacking on a handful of almonds or some celery, instead of a cookie, and staying a way from piles of pasta and white potatoes, white breads etc.!) Try adding fiber to your diet as well, which also stabilizes blood sugar not to mention provides a whole host of other healthy benefits.

Don't be discouraged that the diabetes educator didn't know about POTs. The main thing you need to know with diabetes is changing your diet. A large majority of people with Type 2 diabetes can completely control or even eliminate this condition simply by eating foods off the low to moderate glycemic index. There are supplements such as chromium that also regulate blood sugar/insulin, but I would try changing your eating habits first.

I'm sure you probably learned most of that in this diabetes class you went to -- at least I hope they taught you that! :)

I hope you find relief for your pain soon for the pain in your legs - you may want to discuss that with your doctor.

Hugs,

Gena

Gena's got some great advice, Linda. One question: are you wearing medical compression hose yet? 30-40 mmHg? If not, you might try them and see if they help the heavy/weak feeling in your legs. This is, in fact, one of my most icky pots symptoms ... I feel like I have no energy and strength and that my legs could give out any time--when I'm NOT wearing my hose. I don't complain of this symptom when I'm wearing them ... so I know they're doing something right. Most people say that exercising and strengthening the legs helps enormously... it's important to not get deconditioned.

Anyway, welcome to the crowded potshole; always room for more. But we gotta get outa this place!

best,

merrill

thank you gena and merrill,

I do wear compression hose, I find them to be uncomfortable LOL but wear them none the less.

I did not learn of the supplement chromium yesterday. I will have to look into that.

I am trying to cut my diet and calories back bit by bit, breaking old sugar attacks!!! And eating more healthy.

I do thank you for the supportive ear, I was feeling very frustrated and needed to get it off my chest. And I have been feeling so crappy most of the time..I feel better now that I vented.

Merrill... I cant wait to get out of that pots hole myself, hopefully it will be soon!

thanks a bunch!

Linda :P:D

dizzygirl

I don't know much about the interaction of diabetes and POTS, but I just want to add my words of encouragement to you. I would suspect that if you can control the diabetes that your POTS would also improve. Hopefully the education you are getting on self-care will help to that end.

I know it is very frustrating when medical professionals don't know anything about this condition--it's all too common a complaint among us.

I am sorry you are feeling so badly now! Now that you have a diagnosis and are working on improving your health, it is likely that you will start seeing some slow improvements.

If you need to sleep, you need to sleep! I know what you mean about feeling like you are sleeping your life away, but your body is telling you what it needs, I suspect. Do try to start an exercise regime though, if your doctor says this is ok. By exercise, that would mean to start with whatever you can tolerate--even just a few minutes a day of floor exercises, and moving up from there. This is very important for recovery.

Take care,

Katherine

Katherine hi:)

I am looking into getting a stationary bike, I dont do so well standing upright and walking (as I am sure most of you can relate to that!)

I remember reading on a post a while ago about somebody using a stationary bike, because they could sit down and exercise.

So I am going to start pricing them.. I also will be starting aquatic therapy.. i am hoping that doing these kinds of exercises in the water that it wont stress my body out to badly, and that I can handle them.

SO here's to exercise or atleast an attempt.

thanks ! your guy's support means alot! and it helps the blah mood too...

Linda

Linda, looks like you have gotten really good advice. I just wanted to say that while I am very exercise intolerant, I can ride the stationary bike -- just be sure you get a recumbent bike where you legs are out in front of you and don't hang down. If you haven't been doing any exercise I would suggest starting at 3 minutes. This is what my PT started me on and then as you are ready you can add minutes. It may not seem like much but starting slow gives your body a chance to get used to the change. Aquatic therapy sounds great and fun!

good luck with managing diabetes and starting an exercise plan.