Wisdom Teeth Removal

I'm curious to know if anyone has gotten their wisdom teeth pulled while with POTS. Mine are starting to ache and I'm assuming if I got them checked out they'd tell me to get them removed.

I'm dreading this because of all the horror stories I hear. Out of about 15 people I've talked to, they all say it was one of their worst experiences (they all had them removed as adults). One friend came home, passed out and ended up the hospital. Another girl who had hers out last week ended up in the hospital, too. My step-dad said it was the worst pain he's ever been in in his life and could hardly take it. On and on with all these bad experiences.

I just don't think I could handle it with my heart problems...

My experience wasn't good either. Partially because of reaction to meds. But, was in my teens and I still remember it.

Sorry, you have to do this. But, if you don't want your teeth to move around too much as an older adult --good idea to get them before they start to move things. I also learned a lesson the hard way --I thought that when I was in my early 20's I could stop wearing my retainer from wearing braces as a teen. I stopped and my teeth started shifting as an adult and I had to wear them again. I have really bad TMJ because of EDS and it was very necessary for my bite to be okay for my jaws to stay in place. It was NOT fun wearing braces as an adult. I will guarantee you --I'll forever wear my retainer so I don't have to do that again. :)

Issie

Wanted to pitch in my 2 cents - I had 2 wisdom teeth pulled by a really good dental surgeon and it was really quick and much better than expected. (As compared to another tooth pulled by my regular dentist - worse than childbirth....) You can have a good experience!

Getting my wisdom teeth pulled is actually what started my dysautonomia. But since you already have it, maybe the wisdom teeth removal will shock your system out of it!!

I was terrified when I got mine out, but it' really not that bad and the pain is over in a few days. And then they're out and you never have to worry about them again!

Well, I have a good story. I had all four of mine pulled and was eating normal foods by that night (probably wasn't supposed to be). I had some swelling and a little pain, but it was controlled with OTC meds. I'm sorry for all of those who had bad experiences. I was lucky and only had to be numbed to have mine pulled. Both of my siblings had to have general anesthetia and have theirs cut out. They had a little harder time recovering but still nothing too traumatic. Good luck to you! I hope everything goes well!

Are they impacted? Or is there a chance of that? If so then you should probably consider having that done and not put off.

I'd make sure the oral surgeon is aware of your case and precautions in using anesthetics in your case. There is a whole chapter in the medical text, "a primer of the Autonomic Nervous System." written by Robertson, et al. Published nov 2011

Here is an article you could share. It's a bit dated but still some good info.

http://www.dynakids.org/Documents/Brooks_April_2006_JADA.pdf

Well, I had my wisdom teeth removed prior to POTS so I can't really speak to that part of it.

I agree with Kellysavedbygrace.....you need to have x-rays to see whats up with them. If they are impacted they really do need to come out somehow. My top two teeth had come through but the bottom two were completely sideways in my gums and had never come through. They were pushing on my other teeth and beginning to decay under the my gums (crazy!), so I they had to cut those out. I also had another tooth pulled at that time.

The procedure itself went fine, but the pain afterwards was more than I expected and lasted longer than I expected. I was a good 7-10 days before I really felt like I was going to be able to eat again. I also had a decent amount of swelling.

So, my experience wasn't horrible and I don't feel I have had lasting issues from it, but it was't a walk in the park either.

Again though, you just need to confirm what's going on with them. You could be in a situation that it's not a big deal if you can deal with the pain, but if it's something more it could end up causing you even more issues in the future.

BTW, I was 31/32 when I had my removed. Ever since then I have told my husband that at the first sign of those things in my boys mouths I am going to have them removed immediately before they get so big! Mine were HUGE!

Thanks for the responses everyone. I guess I'll be getting x-rays some time to see what's going on with them. I'm most concerned about an infection that could spread and become systemic. Past that, I can deal with the pain so long as there's no real threat to my overall health. I had the same sort of pain right now that I did a couple years ago when they were coming in. It eventually went away and that was that. Now it's back and being a POTS worrier again I'm concerned about infections and stuff...

Infections are a potential complications but they're very rarely serious as they tend to be with common, easily treatable bacteria. One of mine became infected about week after surgery - it was uncomfortable for a day or two but I was put on antibiotics and it went right away. And wisdom teeth removal is usually done in office so you won't even be at risk for some crazy hospital acquired infection. Maybe you could ask about prophylactic antibiotics if that would make you feel better.

And to add another positive experience...I had mine out pre-POTS and was only in pain for a day or two. I was 19 so they hadn't fully grown in but they were all impacted. I had another surgery under anesthesia with POTS, but pre-diagnosis. I'm extremely medication sensitive but tolerated the anesthesia and pain meds just fine. I'm pretty ill - home bound - but recovery wasn't bad at all. I know everyone is different, just letting you know that it doesn't have to be too scary!

And a few more things about wisdom teeth infection - they are often dependent on how careful you are after the surgery (yes, I'm admitting I probably didn't take the best of care!). And when you hear those crazy stories about tooth infections getting into the brain, it's almost always because the person doesn't take antibiotics in time. If they're caught early, the treatment is simple.

Def need them looked at.

I had them impacted and taken out with pots. I talked a lot to the surgeon before and they were very careful. He didnt want to put me to sleep even though they were impacted so I ONLY had novacaine was a completely awake. I had an EKG & bp monitor,iv fluids, and extra nurses. It wasnt fun and I felt a lot of pressure during it but I survived and then was super diligent with antibiotics and cleaning afterwards. The dr also asked me himself if I would try and not take anything more the ibuprofen because he wasnt sure about pots & pain meds. He said he'd call me the next morning see how I was and if couldn't do it then he'd give the script.

I wanted more than ibuprofen but I toughed it out with ice and ibprofuen. It took longer to heal but ultimately I was ok with precautions.

Be honest about your problems and if they push you find someone else.

• 9 years later...

Hello, I just got my wisdom teeth out on Tuesday. I have POTS, syncope, vertigo, PVCD, and a few other minor medical issues. I was worried that any of my medical problems would be problematic with my surgery. So far so good. Although, it does mean I am on uncharted territory when it comes to post surgical routines. They say you can't resume physical activity for 4 days after because it can cause increase in blood pressure and cause the site to bleed again and have trouble clotting, well I have POTS so this can happen with me simply standing up, so what then?. I have received no guidance or tips for after surgery. I'm just winging it and hoping for the best. But as I said, so far, so good. I'm still not driving, still eating soft foods, putting salt water in my mouth and letting it drain out after each meal, lightly brushing my teeth twice a day. 

• 1 year later...
On 3/14/2013 at 2:05 PM, Kellysavedbygrace said:

Are they impacted? Or is there a chance of that? If so then you should probably consider having that done and not put off.

I'd make sure the oral surgeon is aware of your case and precautions in using anesthetics in your case. There is a whole chapter in the medical text, "a primer of the Autonomic Nervous System." written by Robertson, et al. Published nov 2011

Here is an article you could share. It's a bit dated but still some good info.

http://www.dynakids.org/Documents/Brooks_April_2006_JADA.pdf

https://www.dynakids.org/docs/Documents/Brooks_April_2006_JADA.pdf is the new link as of Sept. 2021

• 2 weeks later...

Over the last three years ALL of my teeth became accessed and were removed in groups of 2-4 per procedure. This went smoothly (although certainly not fun) and I’m glad I don’t have infected teeth poisoning me anymore.

My biggest oral issue is very aggressive Tori. I had 4 failed surgeries to remove these, became infected each time and broke through multiple antibiotics. Also the Tori returned and are now growing sharp spikes which puncture my gums and abrade my opposite gum! Just shoot me now! 🥴