Pots Vs Nmh

AussieOI

Hello Guys

I wondered if anyone could explain something to me. Why is it that there is a lot of studies and literature on POTS but not much on NMH?

I was told I have NMH as my blood pressure goes down quite a bit on standing and that I also have POTS as well as my heart rate goes up.

Is it that most people have POTS, do not experience NMH (ie a lowering of blood pressure)?

Does POTS account for most cases of OI and NMH is only experienced by a small portion of people?

Aussie

Did you include the many different names and variations for "neurally mediated hypotension" while doing your searching?

I experience similar, bp drop with a racing hr. It is my understanding that the drop in bp is causing the increase in hr to try to compensate. I have read articles that state people dont meet the diagnostic criteria for pots if they have a bp drop of more then 20mmhg. Going by this, I dont think pots accounts for any cases of nmh, although technically, a person could have both conditions caused by the ANS. If a persons bp dosnt drop as much at times, yet their hr rises the required bpm, then technically they experienced pots that time, and nmh at times when their bp crashes.

I think this might be one of those blurred lines that is really confusing.

What do they call it if your BP goes up and then down after standing? Mine often does that, though not always all that dramatically. What is more noticeable is that my pulse pressure goes all over the place, and will go from 40 to 60 to 15 after standing.

I think the overlap is actually quite common. I also have both - on my TTT my BP didn't drop until 40 minutes in so it didn't contradict the POTS diagnosis. The way my cardiologist explained it, the NMH is kind of secondary to the POTS - the heart races to make up for the blood pressure is trying to drop, and then if I'm up long enough it just can't make up for it anymore. He said having both conditions is pretty common and from what I understand NMH is probably underdiagnosed for POTS patients - I wouldn't have known if I hadn't stayed up the full 45 minutes and I know lots of tests aren't that long. I'm not sure how much it matters for treatment though, especially if there's a big delay in the BP drop - I think they're treated pretty similarly.