What Hyrdating Solutions Do People Use?

What do people think is the best type of hydrating drink that is high in sodium and can replenish electrolytes? I know some people like Gatorade however that seems high in sugar to me and not very high in sodium.

I have seen something called Pedialyte mentioned however I have never heard of that.

I'm using a mix of half sea salt (nothing fancy, though) and half low-sodium salt. This way I get a fair amount of potassium too. Sometimes I add a little bicarb of soda if I feel I need it. I don't think I need extra sugar, I already get carbs in my diet. Remember that Pedialyte isn't marketed at people with POTS, it's for dehydration caused by severe diarrhoea and/or vomiting, and we have different medical needs to that.

If you're really just looking for salt, then make homemade "gatorade". You can look up recipes online, but it's basically just salt, water, and some sort of juice/sweetener. I usually use 1/2 teaspoon salt per 6 cups - saltier than gatorade but not so salty that it tastes bad. And then add juice just until it tastes bearable to drink - I try not to add much since I drink it every day and don't want the sugar, so it's no where near as sweet as Gatorade. Pomegranate juice and prune juice have a lot of potassium, if you want balance that out. I've been using tart cherry juice concentrate lately and it tastes really good.

Pedialyte is good if you need a lot of electrolytes, not just salt, maybe if you're sick or something. It's a oral rehydrating solution aimed at kids with diarrhea/vomiting. If you can't find that brand in Australia, you'd be able to find some version of it at the chemist, probably in the kid's medicine section. I've used it occasionally, especially if I'm sick and not eating much, and it works pretty well - much more sodium than Gatorade and other electrolytes too. But it's not really mean for every day use and it's about $6 a liter here. It tastes pretty nasty and has artificial flavoring, colors, and an artificial sweetener. If you were to try to it, I'd look for the unflavored kind to avoid all of that and add juice if you can't stand the taste.

I use unflavored Pedialyte sometimes. Sweet drinks always make me nauseated, but on my bad days I can't have any sugar at all. I never liked Gatorade anyway. Unflavored Pedialyte is clear, without any artificial colors and tastes a bit salty, not bad at all. It is quite expensive ($5 for 1 l. bottle). I also use NUUN tabs. They came in many flavors and you dissolve them in water. They can be handy to take with you when you go shopping or travel. You can buy them online. I found them cheap on Amazon. They make a slightly sweet drink. I also drink simple solution of water with salt. I don't have a recipe. I just add a pinch of sea salt to a cup of water.

I like water and potato chips and/or beef jerky. Potatoes are high in potassium, and the amount of salt they put on them gives me my sodium. 'Jack's Links" beef jerky is pretty high is sodium too. And it gives a bit of protein

I've always had trouble with the sports drinks though. They don't have *that* much electrolytes and they usually end up being closer to sugar water than they do a replenishing solution. Plus I have sensitive teeth and the citric acid they put in there for flavor is just murder for me.

I also go by how I feel with salt. I only watch that I drink enough. I always have an electrolyte drink with my Florinef x 2 day.

When I feel crappy I check my blood pressure. If it's low I increase salt. When it's close to normal I drink water and eat home made soups.

I drink G2 and propels but like Snow Drifter, I have found that eating beef jerky and drinking regular water(or G2) helps too. If we are planning a trip, I always make sure to pack beef jerky. It has become a sort of joke with people we travel with, that if anyone gets hungry I am the person to go to because I have jerky hidden everywhere. It seems to help me even when G2 doesn't help. I was thinking it may be combination of salt, water, and protein. Beef jerky has helped me many times. We even make our own deer jerky because it is leaner. I am going to start trying home made sport drinks too.

Have you tried coconut water? Walmart is selling it in the beverage department. It's a little pricy but my son would rather have it than G2.

I seem to recall that the amount of electrolytes in commercial electrolyte drinks, sports DRI ks, coconut water and the like is pretty low. It's worth checking how much sodium etc. you're getting and thinking about how it compares to the amount you reckon you need.

Does anyone else find that exactly the same drink will taste particularly salty one day, and not salty at all another? What's that about?

You know how sometimes we discuss whether we actually need the sugar common in rehydration drinks? What about using d-ribose? It's a popular supplement in the ME/CFS community, and it's a form of sugar. Don't put it in a water bottle, though - I did that and ended up with the most revolting black mould! I'm trying the odd glass of water with a couple of scoops of it, though, as I still have half a tub sitting around.

I drink G2 for both the salt and extra calories ( sometimes I'm too nauseaus to eat but by drinking gatorade the sugar it has in it doesn't make me feel horrible from not eating). I also drink plain water and any juice. I take salt tablets to get salt. Sometimes I put extra salt in things like hot chocolate, smoothies, or flavored milk because you can't really taste it and it feels like a more natural way to get salt than taking salt pills. I don't like putting salt on my foods.