A Conversation With My Son

HopeSprings

We're in the car on the way home from school and I have the heat blasting. It's in the 40's here and feels so cold to me. My son (9) says, Gosh Mama it's sooo hot in here, are you cold? Yes, I say, I'm always cold. Why - do you have low blood pressure or something? I was taken aback - the kid's smart! Yes, I do. Why is it low? I don't know, I think it's because of the POTS. He knows I have "POTS" - doesn't really know what that means. He said, wait so is your blood pressure low because of the POTS or do you have POTS because your blood pressure is low? Had to think about that one, right? because if POTS means tachycardia while standing then it could be because my blood pressure is low, but if POTS means the overall syndrome then low BP would be a part of that syndrome and therefore because of POTS. So I said, I don't know. He said, don't worry, I can guarantee you they're going to find a cure for POTS. He said, they have to because the future is coming and everything happens in the future. So innocent and simply optimistic! It made me smile. I said, well, I hope it's before I'm 80! He just laughed. The End. :D

My barely 12 year old diagnosed me!! We were watching the Mystery Diagnosis episode on Orthostatic Intolerance the day before my autonomic testing. He had no idea what my testing was for and I barely did either. I was half paying attention to the episode and he was kind if reading a book too. All the sudden he looks up and goes that's you mom. I told him it didn't really seem like my stuff and then they explained the tilt table test and I almost fell off my chair. Sure enough my testing was positive for OI. I had seen more than a dozen doctor at that point!!

Great story Naomi!

My son (18 now) at age 8 or 9 told me that when he would be a doctor he would do everything to find the cure for me. He now is in his first year at uni studying Health and Life and trying to get into meds (which is quite difficult over here!). I'm sure that whether it will be Meds or Health, he will be working in the medical field!