Chapped Lips

Ok I know this is probably a crazy question to ask. I know my Dr laughed in my face when I asked him about this, but here it goes..... I have the worst chapped lips, I have been dealing with for at least 3yrs or so. I have tried everything imaginable. Even when I think I have found something that works, I seem to develope an alergy to it. I have not been able to wear lipstick for years! (vain~I know) I will be fine for a wk or two, then my lips feel inflamed, and start to peel. Its very painful, and just keeps happening over and over again.

Does anyone else have this, or am I alone on this one? :wacko:

I don't know, maybe I just gave everyone a good laugh for the day. :D:(

For me this is not pots related. But I've had chapped lips for years. I hoard chap sticks- all different kinds. My favorite is the original Burt's bees- the menthol does something great. If yours are super bad- have you tried aquaphor? Also, if yours are in any way related to cold sores (the coming and going, feeling inflamed, etc) you might look into taking the supplement l-lysine 1000mg/day for a while and see if it helps. Another thought- have you been tested for sjogrens?

Jupp. I have had This, well for ever. So i am aditcted to my chap stick. I have difrent types, and try to use the once that are prefume and fragrence free. If i find Whit beewax i buy Them. Also so very fat facecreams can be good.

I tryed to stop using Them cos i read using Them worsen the problem. That was a mistake. Then it ust got very much worse. But i try to use the facecream when home and not chap sticks. And not use all the time.

And in the summer the once Whit sunscreen is importan to find:)

I can't use any moisturizers due to allergies. I am also now allergic to makeup (even mineral makeup). So to moisturize my face and lips I use coconut oil. Olive oil feels too sticky for me and I'm allergic to avocado oil. The coconut oil works well and doesn't feel sticky and soaks in so your not oily relatively quickly. You can get the extra virgin coconut oil just about anywhere these days. My pharmacy sells it in the supplement section. It comes in jars. It's the same coconut oil you can cook with. I buy a large jar and scoop out about 3 heaping tablespoons out and put that in a jar for moisturizing then use the rest of the big jar for my cooking. It is solid at room temp but will turn to liquid as soon as it contacts your skin.

Katybug, are your allergies due to mcas. I suspect I have that, I have so many allergies. Meds, foods, food additives, cleaners, and on and on. ( Of course many Other symptoms)That's why I went ahead and did this post, thinking there might be some connection. Just searching for answers to all this craziness. Thanks

UGH. This is one of my worst problems. I think it's exfoliative chelitis, actually.

https://www.google.com/search?q=exfoliative+cheilitis&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Not as awful as the poor guy in that first pic, but it can get pretty bad if I don't literally peel the skin off ever two days or so. Only on my bottom lip. I've tried literally everything, from steroids to prescription chapstick and most recently a prescription meant to slow the growth of keratin plaques. Very little helps. Blistex for cold sores (which i dont get), surprisingly, does. Also Alba's organic chapstick does a decent job at moisturizing the skin enough that I don't rip my lips to shreds picking at them.

But I don't think this is exactly related to POTS. I blame the accutane I took as a teenager.

I have severe classical allergies (per testing) and also mcas (per clinical dx). The fact that I can't use any lotions/moisturizers is from ?? which one?? My immunologist doesn't really believe that mcas and classical allergies are totally separate entities as your mast cells are going to be involved in the reaction no matter which thing you label it. He does not dismiss mcas, quite the opposite, he just knows that any allergic reactoin no matter where on the chain it originates is going to activate mast cells and that they are nasty little buggers if they are being activated too often or in abnormally large numbers. I'm like Dizzy, no matter how much I drink, I'm never hydrated. My skin is always dry and my lips are always chapped (although not as bad as what you describe). I can't even use anything to shave my legs or underarms...just straight water, no shaving products or even soap or I cause myself to get folliculitis.

I'm glad you found it useful!

If you do think that EC is what's going on, unfortunately (that first link on google not withstanding haha) very few people seem to have 'cured' it. I've searched journals for ANYTHING that seems to have worked and I've found only one paper that even tries to suggest a treatment (I really need to stop getting rare diseases...). One patient in Brazil was 'cured' after using 10% Calendula officinalis (marigold) ointment.

It's a non-prescription holistic ointment used on cuts etc, so it's not difficult to find. I used it for a few weeks, but I didn't see any difference. But I thought you might want to give it a try.

http://www.casesjournal.com/content/2/1/9077

My next step is to cut out gluten. But, as I'm sitting here eating pretzels at the moment, it's not something I'm really motivated to do.

I have actually tried calendula. Unfortunately it did not help me either. Guess this is just one of those things we live with for now.

Did you notice the one link on google that had the special diet, that claims to cure EC? I would love to try it, but wow, not an easy thing, especially when you have a family to feed. And pretty expensive too. But it sounds so healthy. Oh well.

As far as gluten free diet. I am anxious to ask Dr at Mayo about that. Maybe that would help the POTS.

I have been having a similar issue the past few months. I notice it is worse when i am working at school, maybe all the talking/movement and the dry air. I try to run a humidifier at night to help.

There isn't a chapstick that really hyrdrates my lips and feels nice-except vaseline (i use the cocoa butter one) Sometimes they itch too.

I was beginning to wonder if it wasn't from the high salt diet, and it is drying out my lips, since its on most of the food i eat.