Horrible Head And Neck Sensations

kt42487

For the past month I have been getting these awful head and neck sensations. I have been have such a hard time explaining exactly what it feels like to a physician that they just palpate my neck and tell me they don't think there is anything wrong. I am wondering if anyone else out there has a similar experience, every afternoon around 2 or 3pm I get this whoosh of pressure that comes up my neck and goes into my head. The only way I can think to explain it is it feels like doing a hand stand under water while drunk. There is a pressure feeling both on the inside and outside of my head and my neck feels like someone has there hands wrapped around it strangling me. This sensation last any where from a few seconds to hours and it completely disorients me and is occasionally accompanied by a stabbing pain feeling that travels up along side my neck and I think I am going to have a stroke. My heart rate and bp are completely normal when this happens usually 110/60 and 90bpm. Does anyone experience this? Did you figure out the cause? Find anything that helps make it go away? I feel like I am going insane and am a completely worthless disoriented drunk from 2pm to 8pm. Oh and this is not a medication side effect, I been advised to get off all meds and start over since nothing has worked for me. Thanks in advance for any info!

My daughter has a lot of different strange sensations within her head and neck area but not the sensation that you are referring to. Her symptoms are mostly pain, pressure (feels like her brain is swelling) and "electrical shcck" sensations. We have no idea what is causing this.

Sorry I'm not much help!

I don't have the neck stuff, but for a couple of weeks I had TERRIBLE head and facial pressure. I felt like my head was going to explode. It wasn't a headache either it was just intense pressure. I would also get it in the bridge of my nose, my temple area, and my teeth (upper and lower). No sinus issues what-so-ever. I kept telling my husband that I felt like someone had their fist inside my head or nose or where ever trying push it through. It was literally driving me crazy!!! I couldn't stand it. I felt like I was going insane also. I have no idea what brought it on or what made it go away. I guess it's just another crazy thing with POTS and Dysautonomia. My doc did have me get an MRI ( I was also having numbness, tingling feelings and my mother has MS) but it was clear. PTL! I do have an appointment with a neurologist this week so we'll see if he has any insight.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this and I pray it gets better for you quickly!

Boymommy3, the pressure experience you had sounds similar to mine, especially the bridge of the nose pressure, my glasses suddenly feel like they weight 20lbs. If it went away on its own for you that gives my hope! I am going crazy!!!! I put a call into my pcp trying to get her to refer me to neurology and had no such luck. I also have a lot of numbness and tingling in my face, between my shoulder blades and down my arms. I wonder if the head pressure and tingling are related?

I don't have the exact sensations you describe, but can relate to the pressure. I will sometimes get terrible sinus pain and all over head pressure. I've gone to the doctor for it, but my sinuses are always clear. I've recently developed tinnitus (had it for about 2 months now). The tinnitus and head pressure get worse in the middle of the night. I'm wondering if it has to do with laying down. While my symptoms are exactly like yours, I think it's probably all related somehow. I can't decide if I have inflamation in my head or if there is a build-up of fluid. It feels terrible though! I hope we all get answers soon!

I don't have what you are describing but you may want to Google chiari malformation and see if that seems to for with some of your symptoms. If so, you need to see a neurosurgeon that specializes in chiari and cranial pressure issues. I just saw one and he ruled it ot with an upright MRI of my brain and c-spine and a CT angiogram.

• 7 years later...
On 7/29/2020 at 1:08 AM, Eliza said:

Long shot because I know this was posted in 2013. How are you doing with this, what did you find out? I just started getting this EXACT feeling, I even explain it to my drs just like you did. 

I've also been experiencing a feeling very similar to this. At first I thought there might be something wrong with my neck until I realized how many other symptoms of POTS I had.