Does Anyone Have Weight Gain And Problems Losing Weight?

Kris4444

Before all of this started I was a professional horse trainer who was very fit. I also used to run 5 miles a day. I am having a hard time with exercise due to the flushing and dizziness and have put on a TON of weight. I don't even recognize myself. I have tried dieting with no success. I have been to a nutritionist have had testing done. I just CAN'T lose the weight.

I gave up for a while and now I am back on track, going to Weight Watchers and getting on the treadmill daily. I don't know if I will lose or not and now I am 30 pounds heavier than I was when my body first started not allowing me to shed the weight so I need to lose about 50 pounds! UGH!

Is anyone else going through this? Have you found things that have helped you get body back in shape? I feel like my body needs to be jump started or reprogrammed.

Kris,

for me it's probably the florinef and the propranolol that I should blame for my 22 extra lbs. I gained them in the 2 months after I started taking the meds, without any significant changes in my diet. My weight has been almost constant since high school, then I lost some weight prior to being diagnosed with POTS, and now that I'm trying to come off the florinef after a year I can tell I'm going back to my normal weight...or so I hope. I'm not vain, and I'd happily live with the extra weight from the meds if the meds were to help, but they don't.

The other thing I suspect is my lack of physical activity - I have days when I can do a lot, but most times I'm pretty much stuck in bed (not necessarily because of tachycardia) and I'm guessing that may play a pretty important role as well.

Are there any meds you're on that may be responsible for this? Did the nutritionist offer any advice/explanation?

I'm sure there has to be an answer, and I can only imagine how frustrating this must be for you.

Hugs,

Alex

Hey Kris. I am/was with you for 3 yrs I was unable to loose the weight and despite dieting I just kept packing on the pounds, then last year I started weight watchers, and with NO exercise I went from 159 to 117 lbs. it wasn't easy I had tried weight watchers before and hasn't been successful, but one thing I learned when I was actively trying to loose weight was to count EVERYTHING (even points for Gatorade) the difference between loosing weight and maintaining weight with the ww point plus program is 6 points (which isn't a lot when you really think about it) I stopped measuring this summer when I hit my goal of 125 but had continued to loose just by sticking to about the same eating plan, I just stopped measuring everything (I mean everything, even if it was only a TBS because it adds up) I am sure being " sicker" this last year has helped some as I have a lot of GI issues and was super nauseas a lot after eating (however, this last month I can't stop eating, I feel like I am starving all the time). But hang in there! I gave up so many times because the weight wouldn't come off, and when I first started to want to loose weight I looked at all the weight I had to loose and would get overwhelmed, so I started setting 2lb or 5lb goals and being able to reach those smaller goals in a few weeks (like one month I only lost 5lbs, but I was happy because that was my "goal" and I had done it,not sure if that makes sense or not) but it kept me motivated to keep going. My new goal is to build muscle, because although I weigh less I am still all fat because I am really not able to exercise, and I would like to be able to be strong not just skinny and I know it might take time, but I know in time it will happen just have to keep going and be a little more creative with my exercising.. Like you before getting sick I was very active, out doors person, helping on the ranch. It was nothing to help brand calves all day, stack hay, ride pastures, and fix fences, now I am lucky if I am able to get outside to feed the horses or brush them. And stacking hay or branding calves out side in the heat is no longer a possibability which *****, but I am hopeful one day it will happen again for all of us, we will get our life back. So hang in there and please know your not alone :) Oh also allow yourself o use your extra points every now and then too. I actually found the weeks I ate all my points I lost more, then the weeks I maybe didn't eat all my daily point allowance..not sure why, but I feel like maybe because I was munching more throughout the day it kept my metabolism jump started.

Yes Kris, my son is going through this. He is 70 pounds over weight. His doctor said to do an 1800 calories diet plan with him. He only wanted him to lose a pound a week. The doctor was concerned how this would effect the POTS. However, when he got the flu it took 10 pounds off him. So far he has lost 24 pounds. He is on a protein shake 3 times a day. This shake does replace one meal only--breakfast. He gained his weight from meds also. Before he had POTS, he was a healthy active boy. Something else we are doing, is using a nutrabullet. Green drinks are wonderful and full of nutrients. He drinks one after lunch. My son's appetite has not been that great since the flu, which can be a plus, but I worry about getting the nutrients that his body needs. Right now he is able to ride a stationary bike and doing core strenghting exercise. Counting calories can be a pain, but it does allow for a variety of different meal plans.

It's so frustrating!

Funny you should mention Weight Watchers. I just joined again this week with a friend and weighed in yesterday. Biggest number of my LIFE! I am heavier now than I was after having my kids. Unreal.

I am back to working out daily. Although I can't get too carried away I am up to 1.60 miles on the treadmill. Mostly walking with a little jogging (.10 of a mile). I'm so flushed when I'm done, it's crazy. I took pictures of my face and sent them to my doctors. I saw my GP today and he commented on how swollen my nose and eyes get. It's just bizzare.

I really want to put this behind me and get my life back. I want to ride my horse and not feel like I'm going to pass out. I NEED to lose weight!! I'm praying WW works for me.

I wonder which, if any, of my meds might cause weight gain...

hi,

I put on weight as well when I first got sick with pots. Initially I put on 30lbs after losing that 30lbs the previous year. I stayed that weight until I was put on steriods due to the drs believing I had maysthenia gravis. I then put on 40lbs in the space of 6 months. Having steroids was awful I was constantly hungry and nothing satisfied me. I just ate and ate. I came off the steroids about a year later weighing the heaviest I have ever weighed.

I went on a liquid only diet and lost 40lbs in a few months but have kept the 30lbs (and some depends on the time of year). This year my husband and I have returned to Slimming World which is a group in the UK its food optimising and instead of points there are syns. My aim is to lose a lb a week. I cant exercise a lot of my time is spent between a recliner downstairs and my bed. I can do a few bits around the house but this will wipe me out for the rest of the day. Exercise causes me immense hip and back pain and as soon as I start trying to exercise my POTS goes crazy not just during it but the rest of the day.

So far since January 8th I have lost 9lb (approx 5 weeks) which is more than I ever expected. However as someone else posted you have to count everything you eat. I have started keeping a food diary to try and keep me on track. I will be honest I have been off the diet reservation twice and I have still lost weight.

I didnt think it would be possible for me to lose weight without exercising but I have done it. I only expected to lose a lb a week the first week I lost 3lb (Ive stayed the same some weeks) and my highest loss after that has been 2lb. I am thrilled but it is hard when you are feeling rough to make sensible choices or try and cook! Thankfully my husband helps where he can.

Dont give up you will do it.

Rach

I was overweight by about 50 lbs. when POTS hit 7 years ago. I have a hypoglycemia issue, also, so I had been incorporating sugar here and there in my daily diet...not like eating dessert every day or anything drastic. I just would have a large tea with a couple of teaspoons of sugar and the like.

Three years ago I gave up ALL sugar and did not add in artificial sugars. I still ate carbs, just used common sense and ate less. I did not alter my fat intake or protein intake. It wasn't easy, but I got used to eat. It was not a diet for me, it was a way to try and get a grip on my rollercoaster glucose levels that left me in hypoland almost daily. I was still left with low glucose, but I did lose 45 lbs. over two years with NO exercise. This year I am going to incorporate some exercise and see if I can lose that last 10 lbs.

I must warn, though. For me, with no to very little sugars, I spent a year with no energy. I have recently brought a small amount of sugar back into my diet and I feel more alert and energetic. But it's a fine line between getting enough for energy and gaining weight. I have a feeling others here don't process sugars correctly either, and that could be some of the weight issue. It seems I can eat all the fatty stuff I care to and it does not affect my weight at all. By this, I mean nuts and other similar stuff.

I'm losing weight for the first time in 3 yearst. It is coming off about 1-2 lbs per week and I'm not at all hungry. I'm doing a whole food plant based diet that is low fat. Totally vegan. I'm enjoying it and don't find it to be hard. It has not decreased my energy levels either. My blood sugar is better and things seem to be improving with my labs.

I agree, you have to write down everything that you eat and drink. I found a site on-line that I enter my foods into. It lets me know how much I'm eating and what my vitamin, mineral, fats, carbs, proteins etc. are. I think it helps you make wiser food choices. You will be surprised when you start writing everything down - how much you are eating and not realizing it. The website is www.sparkpeople.com

Issie

That's great Issie! I just rejoined Weight Watchers. I'm hoping that by journaling everything I will start to lose. I was doing this on line as well on myfitnesspal.com. I really like the site I actually prefer it to the online Weight Watchers site as it is easier to navigate and understand. Even with tracking all of my food I wasn't able to lose much. I fought with the same 5 pounds or so. I need to lose about 50 pounds...it ***** lol.

I tried doing the Atkins diet on the recommendation of my GI doctor. I lost about 7 pounds but that was it. I do think it helped the GI problems a bit so I'm toying with doing the Weight Watchers and really watching carbs, keeping them at a minimum but not eliminating them either as I know they do help with energy.

Fingers crossed!

That's what is so wild about the diet I'm doing. It goes against everything I thought I knew about nutrition. It is HIGH in carbs - as you can have whole grains, potatoes, starchy veggies etc. I eat fruits and even have a little sorbet once in awhile. I'm losing and it has continued with very little trouble on my part. Amazing what cutting out animal products has done for my digestion, elimination and body in general. The hardest thing about it is keeping it low in fat. Since it's not hard being vegan ---but, it is hard being low fat vegan.

Issie

I put on a lot of weight, and couldn't lose it until I learnt how to lose weight properly. It's something you do need to learn, as it's very easy to get wrong. A lot of people don't realise that they're underestimating how much they eat, for instance, and apparently correct portion measuring can be surprisingly tricky. The book "Thin For Life" is excellent. The forum 3fatchicks.com is really good, though if you can't exercise (much or at all) for medical reasons, it's a good idea to say so firmly. I lost a quarter of my body weight while unable to exercise, so it's a myth that exercise is necessary. But not everyone with our medical conditions can lose weight, and I realise that I was lucky.

Issie, are you following the MacDougall diet? I'm vegan, and I've had to be on a low-fat diet due to gallstones, but I must say I'm not keen on Macdougall. There's an awful lot of bad science in there.

i am lowfat vegan too tho don't notice much weight loss after over a month of this diet, maybe like a lb or 2. I am not comfortable in my body right now since I gained 20 lbs in the last year, and am used to being superskinny/toned, only exercise needed was 1/2 hr vinyasa yoga for toning not weight loss, but according to all diet sites I've looked up my weight is ideal with my height. I guess just not comfortable for me:) McDougall has recently changed his theories re: eating soy based products and tofu, if that is what you are referring to Batik

am going to start yoga again as I havn't been practicing for some months and need to tone up abit. but here are the benefits of vinyasa:

Vinyasa

Much like Hatha, Vinyasa covers basic poses and breath-synchronized movement. This variety of Hatha yoga emphasizes on the Sun Salutation, a series of 12 poses where movement is matched to the breath.

• Purpose: To link the breath with movement and to build lean muscle mass throughout the body
  • Benefits: Helps improve strength and flexibility, tones the abdominal muscles, and reduces the risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, and type 2 diabetes
  • Good for: Beginners and advanced yogis alike seeking to strengthen the body