Why Convulsions

CarrieJessica

Does anyone have some info on why some people with dysautonomia have convulsions? It happens to me after a busy few days. This weekend was fun and busy (I felt kind of normal leaving the house) We went shopping, a birthday party and out to dinner (not in a row) Than last night I got up to get a drink and my arm started twitching then it went down my back and abdominal area.

I am conscious and can talk (as long as my face doesn't get too tight) and if it isn't too bad I can even walk slowly to get to a place to sit down.

Thanks,

Carrie

This might be weird, but do any of you have thyroid issues by chance? My sister has myoclonus, her seizures or twitches sometimes look like she gets a strong shiver when your cold. Her legs twitch and convulse as well. Yesterday, I took her to the Amish doctor I've been seeing and he reviewed her med history, and did a blood analysis. Long story short, her thyroid wasn't working properly causing her parathyroid to over produce a hormone and not metabolize calcium correctly. Since the calcium wasn't being metabolized it was depositing causing bone spurs and giving her a calcium deficiency. If you look into severe calcium deficiency may cause twitching, spasms and convulsions.

http://www.innerbody.com/image/endo04.html bottom paragraph at this link describes convulsions etc.

BTW she has been to Mayo, Rush and many other hospitals across the country for this. While she was told she had an enlarged thyroid the docs assured her it had nothing to do with her symptoms. The Amish Dr.s take on it is that just as an enlarged heart is a sign of it overworking because something is wrong the same thing can happen to the thyroid and if it is enlarged that should be a signal that something is wrong. She is starting a treatment regime for what was attacking her thyroid and I am anxious to see if it stops her convulsions.

Nicole,

I PM'd you.

I've known for a long time that there is something wrong with my thyroid --but the actual numbers come back within normal range. I have nodules and have to have "another" biopsy next month. So, not looking forward to that. I've also known that my body has trouble with metabolizing calcium. What did the doc tell her to do for it.

Issie

Issie - wouldn't you know it goes back to what we're discussing on your other post. We saw a few lyme spirochetes under the microscope, not as bad in her blood as they were in mine (which I now know a lot more about and will post on the other thread) . The lymes attacked her thyroid. She has had her tail bone removed due to spurs, surgery on her neck vertebrae due to spurs and fusion of the lumbar spine. She suspected thyroid years ago after she had weight gain etc. but all of of her thyroid tests came back normal. They just told her it was enlarged. She is starting a similiar med regime as me, Samento (Tao free cats claw) to kill spirochetes, grapefruit seed extract to destroy spirochetes cysts and he gave her a particular calcium combination that she would be able to absorb even with her thyroid mess. He explained she had to treat the lymes first, which was the underlying cause and then they would set about repairing damage. I will continue to post of her progress as far as her twitching and myoclonus.

I'll look forward to the updates. When I have a die off - I can feel issues in a few organs ---so I know that is possible. My doc said that he thinks my hair will maybe get better and for sure I'm losing weight ---when nothing before has helped that.

I have periods of tremors and hope that they will get better with time and treatment of my protozoa. and co-infections.

Issie