Sleeping At 45 Degree Angle

diamondcut

I recently came back from a consultation with a new POTs Dr and he gave me an explanation as to why if i can manage to stay at a 45 degree angle when sleeping, i felt better. This is helping in dramatically lowering my heart rate in my sleep and in the mornings, which at least gives my racing heart a short break for once. My typical waking HR is 100bpm, i can get it to 80bpm now by sleeping this way. Ok it all changes as soon as i am up and about but atleast its something. My nausea and dizzyness in the morning is better too by doing this.

My Dr's explanation was that it helps many people with Syncope conditions, not just POTS. He said it was mostly due to less blood pooling in the abdomen and especially the vital organs like the kidneys especially. He said it allows the bodies autonomic nervous system to re -set its self by sleeping upright. Does anyone know what he means more exact by this?

It would be interesting to see how many of us can benefit by sleeping more upright, even if it makes our mornings more bareable.