Pressure In Blood Vessels In Neck And Esophagal Pain

Hello All, So I've been getting this pressure on either side of my neck where the major blood vessels are, mostly after being upright. The pressure lingers for a couple of hours when I do rest. It is worse on the left side. Would anyone know what this is attributed to? Also, I had been doing really great (for a POTSIE) for quite a few weeks until late Sunday night. My husband fell on ice and injured himself Saturday, so I really had to step up to the plate. Well, overdoing it set me back a bit and now I have this incredible pain when I eat. It is like my esophagus can't manage to move the food down to the stomach. Fluids seems to have trouble trickling down also. It basically feels like when you take a large bite of food, don't chew it enough and then it pushes against the walls of the esophagus. It is so painful and remains for at least one hour after I've had something to eat or drink. The rest of my GI system seems to be slowed down as well. Has anyone experienced something similar? I HATE going to the doctor, so I'd rather ask on the Forum first. I'm going on 4 days of the esophagal issues and at least a month of the neck blood vessel pressure. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I had something similar, because it started with some reflux problems my GP and I initially assumed it was a hiatus hernia, but endoscopy didn't find a problem or any evidence of long-standing reflux. Since then I've developed lots of problems with involuntary muscle spasms, so my guess is that it was some sort of oesophagal muscle spasm related to the more widespread dystonias / lots of general nerve damage. I also have intermittent hoarseness, which is consistent with laryngeal dystonia.

I'm not sure what you mean by neck vessel pressure. Do you mean the veins in your neck appear distended, that your blood pressure is high, or just that there is a sensation of pressure in your neck?

I get the esophageal spasms (I believe they are called cardiospasms but they're not heart related) because of the mestinon - it's one of the listed side effects (and... lucky me I get them). You've described them really well, and yes, they are quite painful but I've almost learned how to live with them, particularly because I know what's causing them.

If you can't blame this on any meds you might want to look up ' nutcracker esophagus'.

The neck blood vessel pressure - I have only dealt with that for seconds at a time during my bp spikes caused by too much florinef/salt/water, so it may be worth checking your bp when this happens and compare it with your baseline, eventually keep a journal of this for future dr appointments.

Sorry you have to deal with these problems.

Hope your husband's injuries are only minor and wishing you and him to feel better soon.

Best,

Alex

I get the neck blood vessel pressure too- feels like the veins overdilate I've never looked at them when it happens, but if I touch them, they feel puffed up. I feel pressure in my chest all the time which I think is sometimes esophageal and not heart related, but it's hard to tell sometimes which it is. Never pain though. I don't like going to the Doctor either, but if the pain continues, maybe you should.

Hey I am not sure what causes it but the last few weeks I have noticed the same thing. Today at work it was really bad, I got this sharp pain up my neck where the vessel on the left side of my neck felt like it was going to explode(i didnt look at it but it felt really swollen)and it went down into my left arm and in my chest. I am seeing my cardiologist tomorrow and was going to ask him, so I will let you know what I find out. I am glad others have experienced it as well it was beginning to scare me a a little. I am also sorry about your husband, I hope he heals quickly. : )

Its possible to have esophageal spasms or an abcess in there from reflux. They have to do a scope to look at it.

It can affect the muscles that push the food down sequentially. You might want to eat softer foods until you

get it checked.

Also prevacid OTC may help.

There is something called laryngeal reflux which is different from acid reflux too.

It can cause shortness of breath because the vapors go higher into the es. and down into the lungs.

I do get these feelings also. At first I was told it had to do with reflux, but now I believe it is just a POTs thing.

When I am having flares I get pressure below sternum and the throbbing on the side of the neck, like its the arteries/veins. I also can get the same throbbing on my left side of upper jaw near ear and near left temple. It can go into my left arm and the back of my head mostly on the left side of the spine. That is why in the beginning I kept thinking I was having a heart attack or angina and I kept being told I wasn't.

I get them the worst when my bp is spiking high, but now that I am on medication I can get them to lesser degrees when my bp is being controlled. So far no one has been able to tell me why. One person told me she thought it was common with Pots. So? Just more fun things to worry about

Thank you very much for your answers. After reading up on the nutcracker esophagus, I believe this is indeed what I have. I decided to book an apt with my GP next Tuesday (UGH!) and bring it up. As far as the pressure in the blood vessels of the neck, well, I guess I'm relieved I am not alone to get this but sad it seems to happen to others with dysautonomia. I checked my BP yesterday. Everything was fine. However, I was sitting down at the time. I will check it again upright. I believe it could be related to my high standing BP, especially my diastolic. I did feel and look at my neck when this happens, and found nothing unusual. Guess it is yet another annoying sensation. Thanks again for your replies.