First Week On Zoloft Update

Jacquie802

Hi guys, just wanted to update you on my first full week on Zoloft 12.5mg. The headaches and tachy have subsided. My dr wants me to move up to 25mg because the 12.5 is a really low dose. Still waiting to feel some benefits from it in regards to anxiety and POTS..I'll keep you all updated!

I was on Zoloft a few years back then went off of it because my anxiety was alot better. Very anxious now and some dr believe that SSRI help with POTS. I was actually feeling quite good on Zoloft before both anxiety wise and POTS wise.

Altruism-I'll let you know how I do stepping up to 25 mg. I am going to try that next weekend. How are you doing??

Haven't started it yet.

I have a question - my anxiety is already through the roof from POTS I guess. Do all people necessarily experience initially an increase in anxiety after starting an SSRI like Zoloft? I CANNOT tolerate any more anxiety, I'm on Klonopin and even it is not helping me nearly as much as it could/should. This makes me scared to start the SSRI, but on the other hand I understand it's my best shot.

Thanks!

There seem to be a few different groups regarding reactions to SSRI class drugs. Personally, I am hyper-sensitive to meds. Most bother me, and I immediately know the ones that are either less severe or that don't have severe side effects.

I've not had good response to SSRIs both in the past and more recently. I'm normally a very enthusiastic and passionate person, but small doses ended up making me indifferent to almost everything - basically causing some depression. I feel so much better re-adjusting, having recently titrated off. I've also started taking supplements to help bypass a homozygous MTFHR mutation.

It should also be noted that my genetic data says I am many times less likely to respond to SSRI class drugs, and that if anything I would be prone to low dopamine. Given the interconnection, higher serotonin could actually further reduce dopamine levels - a very bad thing.

So, your mileage may vary - if you have genetic information it generally won't lead you in the wrong direction when it comes to medication response and effectiveness. I think this is a very important piece to everyone's individual puzzle, since there really isn't a science-based explanation for the underlying cause(s) for dysautonomia. Given the throwing darts/slapping bandages approach with meds, finding the best ones is generally achieved by having as much personal knowledge as possible. I certainly wish I had this a year ago - I might be in a lot better shape than I am now, trying to regroup from the wrong meds and still find the right ones.

Hi,

I've posted on this lots of times before, but I'll add my 2 cents for anyone who's looking at this thread.

I've had success with SSRIs and SNRIs and my POTs symptoms. Not 100%, but functional as opposed to non-functional. For all of them so far, I have found that I have to take a really small dose.

However, going on and coming off is another story. It is really awful. I have switched due to side effects, and I have done it carefully. I always wean slowly, and I try every trick on the internet for a smooth wean. It is still horrible. Yesterday was my 3rd day completely off of Effexor. (Ihad been down to 1/4 of a pill of 37.5 mg). I had tachycardia all day long, my whole body was aching, I kept drifting in and out of sleep, and I was soooo cold in my bones. It was like my POTS at its very worst. Today, I am much better, but it was really not pretty. I am willing to do it because I know that the other 2 I tried really helped me, so I am hoping that this new one will help too.

I hope my experience helps -

Good luck,

Abby

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences. I am on ativan .5mg three times a day. Altruism, perhaps you could try something like that? Maybe it'll have a better effect on you? Keep me updated on how you're doing :0)

My story is really similar to abbyw. I'm currently on 100 mg Zoloft and I am functional, I believe, because of it. I went on it first a few years ago for supposed "panic attacks" then went off about a year after that. I was awful during that time and started it back up on my own at 25 mg. Soon after I was diagnosed and my cardio stepped me up to 100 mg. I went down to 75 mg for a few months last year, but I started feeling sick again so I stepped back up. My doc also recently prescribed Wellbutrin and I've added that at 35 mg for now. They told me it would stabilize my weight, which I'm really hoping for. I don't like being on meds anyway though so I'm hoping I can step the Zoloft down to 75 mg now that I'm on Wellbutrin too.

I definitely had a huge increase in anxiety and nausea when I started Zoloft. The first time I went on it, I was pretty much huddled on the couch for two weeks with nausea, adrenaline surges, and zero appetite. It was horrible, but after that initial period it really has helped me to be able to do daily activities.

HI jknh9,

I am very interested in the fact that you started Wellbutrin. I was interested in trying wellbutrin, but without the ssri. Do you know of anyone who was successful on that? Have you found that wellbutrin has helped? My doc's concern was that it would make me even more jittery, as it ks known to be activating.

Thanks,

Abby

Abby-

I haven't talked to anyone who has done the combo I'm doing, although my doc said it has been done before. I have read on this forum that several people did well on Wellbutrin alone. At first I added 75 mg to the Zoloft, but like you are worried about, I was very jittery and tachy with insomnia and obsessive thoughts (like a broken record playing in my head that I couldn't stop). I am really sensitive to meds, though (caffeine too), so bear that in mind. I quit after 5 days at that dose and then a few weeks later the doc told me to cut the pills in half and try that, so that's what I've been doing for a couple of weeks. I had a slight stimulant feeling at first, but not nearly like before. I was a bit confused about why they wanted me to do it-- I think it's mostly to do with my weight. I haven't gained weight on Zoloft but it's like I can't lose weight on it even doing tough workouts 5 days a week. My weight is still well within the normal zone, but it's frustrating for me. I was also complaining about bloating issues and night sweats, but I don't think the Wellbutrin is intended to really help with those unfortunately.

The reason I just switched from Effexor was the night sweats. 5 times a night, shivering and wet. I was also bloated.

Switched from Lexapro due to 25 additional pounds in 10 months. I was underweight and now people were asking me when I was due.

Now I am trying Prozac. Started with 5mg, after a week or two, went up to 10. Still trying to get used to that. Jittery and dizzy a lot, and really cold. But how do I know what is the new med, what is withdrawal from the old one and what is POTS?????/

I am also really sensitive to meds and caffeine. I think that's why this whole thing is so hard.

• 4 weeks later...

Proud to announce I survived the HORRIBLE surges and I'm now on 50mg Zoloft. Took me 3 weeks to get here, but I think I feel a difference already. My brain fog is gone, for example.

I did not have any side effects apart from the increased (!!) anxiety. Is this normal? Does it mean its not working? No nausea, nothing.

abbyw - I have been on Lexapro since August and have gained 20 lbs. I haven't weighed this much since my third trimester of pregnancy. I have had people here at work who don't know I have Dysautonomia ask if I am pregnant. I am seeing the cardiologist next week, and hope to make a change. I was up to 15mg of Lexapro, and am back down to 5mg, but it is not helping with my weight. Have you been successful with losing the extra weight?

I am less sleepy since I reduced the Lexapro dosage. Have you had any issues with being sleepy with Prozac?

abbyw - I have been on Lexapro since August and have gained 20 lbs. I haven't weighed this much since my third trimester of pregnancy. I have had people here at work who don't know I have Dysautonomia ask if I am pregnant. I am seeing the cardiologist next week, and hope to make a change. I was up to 15mg of Lexapro, and am back down to 5mg, but it is not helping with my weight. Have you been successful with losing the extra weight?

I am less sleepy since I reduced the Lexapro dosage. Have you had any issues with being sleepy with Prozac?

The dirty truth comes out! Sometimes I don't think most of the doctors know what the medications they are using are capable of. I weigh more now than I EVER have. I've been off all the various meds for more than a few weeks now and have noticed a little difference, so hopefully the weight is leaving. I'm just afraid that it is going to take a while to lose it all. I had more than one doctor look at me like I was nuts when I said I thought the Lexapro made me fat. The scale doesn't lie, though. 20-30 pounds over my worst ever weight for someone that has usually been quite thin is just disturbing. It also made me tired and sleep a TON, we're talking 10-12 hours a day many days. Honestly, at this point I'll take the other symptoms over all the side-effects.

At least I know now that I'm not the only one who has had these "undocumented" issues with SSRIs.

Hi,

I am now on 20mg of Prozac. I think that most of the weaning up process is done. It has been around 5 weeks, I think. It is hard to know about the weight, since I am pregnant now, but I did lose 2 lbs,and then gained one back, but I am 12 weeks now, so I am considering that weight loss, if that makes any sense to anyone else. :rolleyes:

I am having some night sweats, but significantly less than on the effexor. In general, I would say that this is the best one I have tried so far. I am exhausted, but as I said, being in my first trimester makes it hard to figure out what is what. I still have a hard time after walking for more than a few minutes, I get very tired and overheated. And I am also having a hard time regulating my body temperature. I am often very cold, except for right after walking, then I overheat.

But I don't feel that inner jitteriness most of the time, and I am functioning OK.

I know, not such a clear report, but that's the best I can tell you for right now.

Hoping you all find relief -

Abby