Violent Leg Jerks And Irregular Heart Rhythm

lukgar1

Hey everyone,

Has anyone experienced these symptoms together? I was laying in bed and barely moved then all of a sudden felt difficulty breathing, my heart raced to 140 bpm from around 70(my normal laying in bed awake) and then out of the blue I started to get violent shaking in my right leg which then started in my jaw and arms. I was conscious throughout the entire thing although did have difficulty speaking but I attribute that to being scared and my jaw shaking. This all happened fairly quickly and took some time to subside. I decided to go to the ER since this was not a normal symptom for me and of course they were of no help and had no clue what POTS even was. They admitted me to the hospital for observation but after a basic workup found my potassium and magnesium was very slightly low, just below the cut off if normal and attributed my "tremors" to that. However even after raising my potassium levels I still had the shaking in my leg. They did not know what else to do and sent me home. I feel really alone going through this and my father argues with my constantly that I'm not trying hard enough. I'm doing my best right now. I've explained to both my parents that I'm dealing with enough bodily stress and arguing with me about it only further exhausts me. Thanks any thoughts? Suggestions? I also live in Chicago by the way.

Sorry you are having all these troubles - also sorry the hospital could not help you. I don't usually have sudden rapid heart rates but, I do drop my heart rate thousands of times a day - so, I have a pacemaker - sometimes, before the pacemaker kicks in, I can feel pretty bad - even lying down in bed at night - I can feel like I'm going to pass out in my sleep - sounds weird huh? - I also have lots of leg jerking, arm jerking, even some type of involuntary muscle jerking beginning in my abdomen - especially at night - it wakes me up but, it usually only happens as one big jerk then it is over - don't know if it has anything to do with dysautonomia - I do know that if I have been lifting something kind of heavy and holding on for more than a few minutes, after I set it down, my left hand will tremor uncontrollably for up to 30 minutes - I'm sure that is related to the dysautonomia.

I'm real sorry your parents don't understand the kind of stress you are under - I found that if I honestly shared my feelings with my family when I'm feeling bad, they seemed to "get it" a little better. It is very hard for a healthy person to understand how someone feels when they are chronically ill and fatigued - you just have to be patient and keep explaining - maybe one day they will finally understand you are doing the best you can given the circumstances.....

Sorry that this is happening :mellow: . Not feeling understood just adds to the frustration and exhaustion. Someone posted about the 'Spoon Theory' a while ago - I shared this with some other people and it seemed to help them understand a little more... not sure if this might help. Trust me - we know that you are absolutely doing your best :)

Yes, I do get tremors sometimes and am not sure why. I get them fairly consistently (jaw, legs) after a severe episode. Also, sometimes my teeth will chatter if I make a quick postural change.