Do You Only Need More Salt If Your Sodium Is Low?

boymommy3

So I was looking at some of my lab reports this morning and noticed that my sodium levels were not low at all. Actually, they are borderline high. 144 and I saw something that said 135-145 was normal.

My doc has told me to drink Gatorade and I have noticed a marked difference in how I feel when I do drink it. I have also upped my salt intake. Should I be doing this???

Should only POTS patients with low sodium be the ones who are salt loading???

If my sodium levels are normal then how can I explain the fact that Gatorade makes me feel better???

Also, how important is it for me to keep a check on my sodium levels? How often do others have that checked?

Thanks so much! I am trying to piece all this together but it is like the never-ending puzzle!

Judging by the numbers you have posted, it looks like you're referring to you blood sodium levels.

My understanding is that for POTS, the 24 h urine sodium is the one that should be measured and used for diagnosing purposes.

Alex

alex74alex, you are right, this is a blood sodium level.

Should I ask my doc to do a 24 hr. urine sodium? The only thing right now is that I have been drinking a gatorade and also eating more saltine crackers and chips since the middle of December so I am wondering if that would skew the results since I have upped my intake? Is this something that should be checked often?

My dr has me do 24 h urine collections several times a year. You can definitely ask your dr for that to give you an idea as to where you are right now, despite having a higher salt intake. (I was suggested 10 g salt a day at one point but couldn't stomach that, plus the extra salt combined with the florinef made me hypertensive)

Best of luck.

Alex