Hyperaemia/shunting Causing Pots?

joyagh

I am so full of questions and have no good doc to ask, so here's another one for ya.

Could hyperaemia cause the thoracic hypovolemia that causes POTS symptoms (with or without low blood volume in general)? As if, with any voluntary movement too much blood goes to skeletal muscle and is shunted away from the heart, then there is thoracic hypovolemia, then the high HR/BP/hyperpnea, lightheadedness, spaciness etc. (for me) sets in?

before my POTS set in (ever since I had a car accident with spinal injuries) when I was dancing ballet a lot my face would get really red and I'd have to bend over and huff and puff to catch my breath in between combinations. now I'm wondering if this got worse during pregnancy and continues today.

Could that be all it is? I guess it's still an ANS disorder. but it'd be an answer. I WANT ANSWERS!!!!

:)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1464569/

Active hyperaemia describes my sx/sy so well. and it may explain flushing in those who get POTS flushing.

"Active Hyperemia

This type of hyperemia is also known as functional hyperemia or exercise hyperemia. It is caused by muscle contraction. Active hyperemia may also result from increase in mental, gastrointestinal or cardiac activity. Collection of the blood in a certain organ results from increase in the blood flow due to increased body metabolism. Active hyperemia is caused by combination of the hypoxia tissue and the production of vasodilator metabolites. Hypoxia tissue is featured by reduced supply of oxygen to the blood vessel tissues which in turn cause increased demand for oxygen. That leads to vasodilation, characterized by widening of the blood vessels that occurs due to process of relaxing the smooth muscle inside the blood vessel walls. Vasodilators are substances that trigger vasodilation and they include ion, nitric oxide, carbon dioxide and adenosine.

Reactive Hyperemia

This type of hyperemia is also called passive hyperemia and it is caused by blockage in the veins. Blood accumulates in a particular organ in a response to the vein blockage that prevents the normal blood flow. Reactive hyperemia usually occurs after an episode of ischemia such as arterial occlusion. This leads to reduced oxygen level in the blood and increased level of metabolic waste. Blood flow can be blocked if this waste builds up in the body organ. Reactive hyperemia can take place after a tight band is applied to the hand or leg and then removed. Reactive hyperemia may also occur after a coronary occlusion. The longer coronary occlusion lasts reactive hyperemia will be more severe and will last longer.

Treatment for Hyperemia

Hyperemia is a curable condition. The treatment depends on the type of hyperemia. The disease must be monitored and treated with medications. Hyperemia will not resolve by itself and it must not be left untreated, because it may be harmful to affected person.

http://ic.steadyhealth.com/causes_of_hyperemia.html

Hummmmmm. I started to write about this last night on the other thread that I replied on of yours.

I started a few days ago using my oxygen with my CPAP. Noramlly, I would only use it at altitude and not down low - where I live now. Since I took a trip to the high country recently, and used my oxygen and felt pretty good there - I decided to use it down here and see what would happen. I feel much better. Even though I do a finger oxi meter and my oxygen levels seem normal --using this oxygen at night - is seeming to make a difference in me the following day. I have more energy, feel like I can breathe deeper, and the veins in my skin look better. I'm also seeming to be less dehydrated. Maybe a lack of oxygen - is the reason for some of these issues. We know that is part of the problem - but, have attributed that to blood flow issues. I wonder if just using oxygen for a few hours would help everyone? I started a thread on oxygen last week - but, not many replied to it. But, I'm thinking it is making a difference for me.

Just another thought, in regard to me. Since I'm working on killing a co-infection and protozoa in my blood - oxygen helps to do that too.

Issie

seems like oxygen would help the subsequent lack of oxygen to the ischemic tissues that result from hyperaemic tissues that shunt blood away from other areas. Seems like hyperaemia and the ischemia that occurs as a result is a metabolic issue. This would make sense for me, I think.

this is an interesting definition; it includes hypovolemic and cardiogenic shock as symptoms for hyperaemia, as well as tachycardia, brady & palps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperaemia

I guess the dyspnea and hyperpnea are part of the symptoms of shock. this pretty much sums up my issues.

now I gotta find the cause of hyperaemia and what the metabolic mechanism is.

In my case, the doctor thinks that this protozoa and co-infection are a big factor. The protozoa adhere to the vein walls and are encased with a bio-film that protects it from the immune system detecting it. He thinks that once I get the bio-film broken down - the immune system will detect the protozoa and I can eliminate most of them. However, once you have this protozoa - you can not eradicate it. Therefore, the diet I'm doing will be a life time thing. I can however, eradicate the co-infection (they think). So, that's my plan of action at the moment. I'm also, looking into treating my methylation pathway mutations. These are the two avenues that is my focus at the moment.

Issie