Hyper-Pots Ttt Results?

joyagh

for those of you with Hyper-POTS, what were your TTT results?

Mine were neg. (and inconclusive due to constant PVC's) as I only had a 25 bpm increase with tilt up, but when I do the stand test (using skeletal muscle pump) my bpm increases 33-39.

I wonder if HyperPOTS doesn't respond the same way to TTT as classic POTS. Maybe the use of skeletal muscles triggers the hyperadrenergic mechanism causing the POTS symptoms, but while relaxed, they don't get triggered?

I don't know that there is a difference between the the poor man's tilt and a TTT. It really depends on how your test was done. Not all ttt's are done equally. I had the longer test and I had it with nitro. The longer test will probably show a hyper response better then a short one.

FYI, I had the opposite results with my standing and ttt's. My standing was only 10 minutes and my ttt was two phased first 20 minutes and I did have an extreme rise in bp/hr. Then 2nd phase which started with sublingual nitro, with in 10 minutes of that I had sudden drop in bp/hr, was still standing with no measurable bp/hr and then syncoped at that point. Putting the table down stopped me from going aysistole.

You can have a normal ttt and then an abnormal one as well. It also would depend on if you were on your meds or not.

From what I have seen on here, there are lots of different TTTs. I was labeled with hyper pots after I went to Mayo Clinic in AZ and did 5 days worth of studies. When I did the TTT, they had me go off of my meds (I take 50mg of Metoprolol twice a day) for 24 hours before hand. They did the QSART and Valsalva testing and then put me up to 70 degrees for 10 minutes. I only made it to about 7 before I felt too awful to continue, but my heart rate went from 90 to 154, and my BP from 126/82 to 155/98.

I'm sure there would be a lot of factors...how long they do it, how hydrated /dehydrated you are, and especially if you were on meds or not.

People who have hyper pots, also have an exaggerated increase in blood pressure, not heart rate alone. Most who do further testing of their catecholamines, ne, e, dopamine will find that their norepinephrine jumps on standing from supine. It is thought that an increase in norepi on standing is a response to blood pooling in the lower half of the body due to them not being able to constrict and push the blood to the brain on standing.

Most people who have this have small fiber autonomic neuropathy causing the nerves in the blood vessels to be damage and unable to constrict on standing causing the blood pooling. Norepi also constricts the blood vessels as we go into fight or flight response, as the body realizes it is not getting enough blood/ox to the brain..

Thanks! I am so relieved to be finding all the info on this site!

In the past anytime my doc has done orthostatics on me in her office my blood pressure either dropped or really didn't cange at all. Recently, however, I had an episode at home. A friend came over,because it scared me badly, and she brought a blood pressure cuff. We did orthostatics on me that day and my blood pressure went up, 141/86ish. I had never had that happen before that I am aware of but I also don't check my bp often. I don't necessarily think I am hyper-POTS but that was just a different result I wasn't use to seeing.

Joyagh was also asking, and I have been wondering, are there a lot of people out there who have had negative TTT results at one time or another?

I don't know what kind of TTT they did. I wasn't on any meds. I was supine for 30 minutes and they did the breathing test and the electric shock tests. I didn't get any meds during the test. My HR went from 60-85 on tilt up, but I have constant PVC's also so it was hard to get an accurate reading. I have much more of an increased HR response when I stand on my own and use my own muscles and the skeletal muscle pump is activated. I have really tight calves, too so sometimes I wonder if my veins are too compressed in my muscles and can't pump blood.

Also, I've never fainted in my life. When I tell Dr's that, they kind of pass me off. does every POTS patient faint?