Sunlight - Effects On Cardiovascular Health- Nitric Oxide Vs Vit D Effects

I found this TED talk video by Richard Weller, dermatologist, who has studied the effects of sunlight. It is 13 minutes long and quite interesting. There have been many Dinet discussions about how we are each affected (both positively and negatively) by the sun, so maybe this will give some more insight as to possible reasons why.

http://www.ted.com/t...your_heart.html

*POTLUCK has posted a link to one of the studies Weller talks about in an earlier Dinet thread. I thought it would be worth posting the video as a suppliment to that earlier thread. I, personally, find the talks easier to process than some of the medical studies...especially on the foggy days. :blink: Here is the link to POTLUCK's thread with some discussion about it...

http://forums.dinet....20480-sunlight/

peace

Really interesting! Too bad it also dilates blood vessels which is not helpful POTSwise.

For some of us it is helpful to dilate the blood vessels. Some of us have overly constricted blood vessels and, I, have found that things that increase my NO levels are helpful. I do have HyperPOTS and have more high blood pressure issues ---rather then low ones.

Issie

Toward the end of the video, there was a mention that diet contributes to the stores of NO in the skin. He mentioned green leafy vegetables and beet juice. Does anyone know of other foods that promote NO storage? Wondering if my diet is making things worse.

Sunlight has always been a huge trigger for me. I don't have problems with low blood pressure, but I do have problems with narrow pulse pressure and I'm assuming it's from low blood volume. Even a bright winter day, with lots of reflection off of the snow, can make me sick. Just trying to figure this all out -- there are so many factors to consider -- it gets so confusing.

Thanks for posting the video, it was entertaining as well as informative!

Sunlight is a huge topic for me but not one that most people on this forum relate to. Some people also have the opposite effect of me where they feel worse in the sun. The sunlight shining on my eye relieves my symptoms rapidly especially in the summer and in low lattitudes. ( below 25-30 degrees )

I realize this sounds rather crazy. I was however diagnosed with an illness 20 years ago named Seasonal Energy Syndrome by one of the original author's of the famous paper on another disorder seasonal affective disorder. This Medical Doctor said it is caused by Temporal Lobe Epilepsy/Simple Partial Seizures without physical seizures. He says it is very common. I have had many EEG's confirming this diagnosis. Recenty they have discovered a cell called "Intrinsically Photosensitive Ganglion Cells" ( try Wikipedia for a brief explanation) which regulate the bodies reaction to sunlight, day and night rythms, and even winter/summer rythms. It controls many clocks for all the bodies rythms by synchronizing a sort of master clock called the superchiasmatic nucleus ( found in the Hypothalmus. )

I cannot tell you how the illnesses connect in my case. However, I know that epilepsy causes release of free radicals which damage cells further, thus causing a continueing "Kindling" effect. This effect also has a direct effect on one of the 3 types on nitric oxide. (nNOS)

I have been diagnosed with a Mito disorder ( ETC complex 3 ) as many know, and this can cause the epilepsy, and the POTS, the POTS can cause the Epilepsy, or the Epilepsy can cause POTS.

This article I have posted before but it does show some of these connections. I wish I could duplicate the healing effects of the sun to my eye.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3022475/

Regarding sunlight improving Temporal Lobe Epilepsy/Simple Partial Seizures via multiple means:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21333455

here they found a decrease in actual seizures ( Partial ) that are measurable ( because they are complex rather than simple ) in a large scale study, on sunny days.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19144500

Interesting Potluck,

I'm not one to wear sun glasses and find that I feel better with sun in my eyes too ---despite my having very blue eyes and normally would be super sensitive to sun in ones eyes. But, I do find that I don't like wearing sunglasses and like to see the sun. I tell everyone - I can't live where there is no sun in the day. I do not feel good and it affects my mood. Thankfully, for the last 20 plus years - I've lived where there is daily sun and it makes a huge difference. I don't like to go where it is rainy and cloudy and has a grey cast to the sky. It must be sunny. I also feel better when it is more on the warm side - then on the cold side. I don't like it too warm though - cause that will cause tachy issues and flare a POTS attack. But, I for sure don't like it cold. I think part of that is I need to vasodilate my veins and not constrict them and warm does that.

We are all slowly putting together the pieces of our puzzle --aren't we. It's amazing when things start to come together and we get questions answered. Isn't science and medicine interesting? And even more so, the complexities of our bodies and how wonderfully made we are.

Issie