Incredible Opportunity: Dr Amy Yasko, Talk On Methylation

DoozlyGirl

I am sharing this information from a FB page on methylation and MTHFR. This is an INCREDIBLE opportunity to hear the premier expert on methylation talk about and answer questions in this ongoing teleconference series. Taped versions will be available. Read the long post below with details.

Lyn

The Work of Dr. Amy Yasko Teleseminars

Tuesdays at 5:00pm PST, 6:00pm MST, 7:00pm CST and 8:00pm EST

The dial in number is 805-399-1000

The participant access code is 380752

Welcome everyone! My name is Tricia Stenzel and I will be moderating this series of teleconferences on "The Work of Dr. Amy Yasko". These teleconferences will be happening every Tuesday evening, 5:00pm PST, 6:00pm MST, 7:00pm CST and 8:00pm EST starting January 22, 2013.

As some of you know I use to be an Officer/Patient Advocate with a Lyme Disease Organization. I have had numerous people come to me about why they are not getting well from their various health issues. I wanted to help these people, and I also wanted to recruit the best Doctors in my opinion to help us understand what is going on with our bodies and explain things to us so that we can better heal. I am honored that Dr. Amy Yasko has asked Dr. Nancy Mullan and Mrs. Erin Griffin to help us with this. I would like to thank Dr. Yasko for her brilliant work and for asking us to present these teleconferences.

The topic for January 22, 2013 is

Your Single Most Important Biochemical Process: Methylation

Your body has a "traffic light" for its biochemical pathways. Dr. Nancy Mullan, with Mrs. Erin Griffin, discuss how it can work well, what can go wrong and what that means for you.

You can listen to the call and see the slides that Dr. Mullan will be explaining by logging in with your computer and clicking on http://www.startmeeting.com/

We are stunned by the amount of resource being poured out on therapeutics that are not getting you well, in fact that are making some of you significantly worse, not to mention that the mainstream is completely ignorant about your issues and has left you for dead. We are eager to make this conference be the most helpful it can possibly be.

This one's for YOU!

We want your input. We would like you to tell us what you want to know. We want to know if you need something repeated. You can send your questions to mailto:patriciastenzel%40gmail.com Your questions can be about anything. They do not have to be about the particular week's conference subject. The teleconference will last approximately one hour. There will be approximately one half hour of lecture and then I will have the opportunity to ask Dr. Mullan and Mrs. Griffin your questions. We will be adjusting what we are doing as we go along to make this teleconference the most satisfying experience for you. I urge all of you to listen to this important information.

The conference call in number is (805) 399-1000.

This is a US toll based phone number and depending on your long distance provider you may be charged for this call. You may have unlimited long distance. If you do not, long distance charges will apply.

All teleconferences will be recorded.

Call 805-399-1099 to hear a replay of the teleconference

This and other pertinent information will be posted on Dr. Mullan's Facebook page, my Facebook page and Dr. Yasko's Facebook page.

I will also be posting the following week's topic for discussion.

Mrs. Erin Griffin is the married mother of two sons recovering from Autism Spectrum Disorder. She has been the moderator of Dr. Yasko's CH3 Nutrigenomics Parent Discussion Forum since 2005. She is the go-to person for getting it right when doing Dr. Yasko's program. She is a tireless advocate for patients and is the leader and most prominent of the Cyber Moms, a group of knowledgeable, beautiful, generous, loving women who spend hours each day helping other mothers recover their children.

Author, Lecturer, Clinician, Nancy Mullan, MD, recovers patients using the methods of Dr. Amy Yasko. Educated at the University of Pennsylvania, Tufts University School of Medicine and the University of Chicago Hospitals, Dr. Mullan is best known for her genetics based clinical therapeutics. She has written a number of ground breaking papers with Dr. Yasko that can be found under Resources on her web site, www.NancyMullanMD.com . Their most recent paper, Aluminium Toxicity in Mitochondrial Disorders in Autism Spectrum Disorder is posted on their respective Facebook pages.

I am honored to be the moderator of this series of teleconferences and urge all of you to please submit questions or topics that you would like discussed to either myself at mailto:patriciastenzel%40gmail.com or Dr. Nancy Mullan at mailto:nancymullanmd%40aol.com because we want your input on what you would like to hear Dr. Mullan discuss. We are looking forward to a big turnout! You will not regret the time you spend with us!

Sincerely,

Tricia Stenzel

Interesting! I recently found out that I am homozygous 2 copies of the mthfr gene. I haven't posted about it yet because I'm still trying to understand it's impact on me and pursuing the proper treatment protchol for it, which is to supplement with methylfolate, the active form of folate.

From what I do know mthfr switches the enzyme that converts folic acid to the active form of folate which the body uses. It is associated with recurrent miscarriage, bipolar/psy illness, spina bifida and cardiovascular disease.

I'm trying to determine if it also is a factor in immune deficiency and autoimmune diseases that I also have.

I understand Dr. Yasko is researching it's relationship to autism. When this methylation pathway is not working it makes it harder for the body to eleminate toxins that are processed through the same pathway. Which I think is the association with autism and vaccines. I don't know that they have proven this yet.

I am actually meeting with a natropathic doctor who works in/with my rheumatologist on tuesday. i already meet with a genetic doctor about it. She also noted I'm also mildly/moderately hypermobile with the small joints. She prescribed me folic acid which is the type my body can't process, and I didn't take it. So I'm not confidant about her care.

If any one has any experience with this I love to hear from you.

arizona girl,

I have been researching my results on this genetic panel recently - and I am heterozygous on a number of SNPs, but I definitely have an issue with Folic Acid and am supposed to be supplementing with 5-MTHF. I'm currently looking at the best supplements and will be ordering some soon.

There are detox issues, issues with heavy metals, and other processes with BH4. Also issues with too much protein, as the body cannot handle it, and low Dopamine levels.

I presume that you may also have the MTHFR A1298C mutation? I'm eagerly looking to chat with others about this...as I am homozygous on that particular gene and have been thoroughly researching it lately.

Arizona Girl,

There are many with POTS/dysautonomia who also have EDS, a connective tissue disorder which one form leads to hypermobility.

Depending upon your other methylation defects, even methylfolate may not be the best choice. From what I have read, those with COMT defects tend to do better with hydroxyfolate. Good call on NOT taking folic acid. WRONG choice with MTHFR.

If you haven't yet tested more SNPs, then I highly suggest testing with 23andMe or Dr Yasko's panel before you begin supplementation. I have been on several forums where many have jumped into taking supplements and several ended up quite ill, in the ICU and nearly dying. Their message is it is CRITICAL to know your other SNPs before supplementing. SHMT and ACAT must be cleared first, then CBS from what I am reading.

I think of it as coming up with the reboot protocol for the movie Apollo 13. Remember when Gary Sinise has to keep going back into the testing lunar module to come up with the protocol and use as little energy as possible? Same thing here. Must bring up certain tasks before others otherwise, trouble.

And yes, multiple physicians and PhDs in the know about methylation have stated that methylation issues are inovolved with neurologic, immune and autoimmune disorders.

The multiple camps using this concept t of broken biochemical detoxificaiton pathways to sort out various SNPs include autism, CHF/FMS, cancer, parkinsons, Down's, miscarriages, heart disease, Lyme's, various autoimmune disorders, Mast cell, EDS, and the list goes on.

Best wishes sorting out your SNPs,

Lyn

Zap,

I see you are looking into COMT and MAO. May I ask what is your VDR status? Have you looked at your P450 pathways in Phase I? I just read that SAMe is not recommended in my case. But I can't recall where I read it. I am homozygous for COMT, VDR and MAO and homozygous for SHMT, CBS, and MTRR. I thought it was due to my COMT/VDR/MAO status. Hmmmmmmm...

Lyn

UPDATE: Found it in my notes: SAMe is not recommended for COMT++. Have you seen this before? Maybe you are heterozygous?

I'm finding that the diet I'm doing as a vegan and low fat ---also correlates with my mutations in my methylation pathways. Interesting the connections. Since there is a lower amount of protein - due to being all vegan and no meat products at all. Even when I eat plant protein --I'm using Yucca to process the protein.

There was an article I read today about the mutations and a connection to arginine and iron with the methylation pathways. There is also a connection with this and the protozoa and co-infection that I have. They love these two things and it makes the biofilm that they survive in stronger. There is a lot of study on biofilm and organisms in them in connection to things like MS and other neurological illness. Makes me wonder what connections there are to possibly our POTS and maybe even EDS and MCAS. I read that it is thought that this protozoa will cause holes in the connective tissue ---could this be a connection to our EDS III --that can not be tested with genetics. In Lyme disease - they have proven that babies can be born with it ---I wonder if this protozoa can be passed on in that way too. Could it be the culprit in what we are experienceing with our EDS and that can be contributing to MCAS and autoimmune disorders? I sure wish I had the answers to these questions. But, it for sure makes me wonder.

I was one of those that tried to do the methylfolate and it was awful. It made me feel really sick. I had not addressed my CBS mutation - with sulfur and that was the wrong approach. You definitely have to address this first. I'm not sure about the other things yet ---as I'm just starting to get back into discovery and understanding this. (Still feel like I'm in kindergarten on this one.) I am however, able to take the methyl form of B-12. This was surprising to me - because the other type made me sick. I have higher levels of B-12 in a serum draw ---but, the idea behind that is ---It's not being uptaken by the cells and broken down and used properly. Even with high serum levels - if you don't break it down properly --you don't use it. So, adding the proper type --hopefully, will be uptaken by the cells and the free circulating amount will be utilized.

Since I also have BH4 dysfunction and that does have to do with dopamine, serotonin etc. I'm using the methyl-molybdenum to correct this mutation. Just started this week. So far, what I'm noticing is more energy and less fatigue.

Zap ---what did you discover with your research?

Issie

I only got my results fairly recently, long after I was researching stuff, but it is interesting to find that it is starting to tie together.

COMT -/- and VDR Taq +/+

Also MAO A + and MTHFR A1298C +/+

So, from what I've read (possibly plus other SNPs) I'm low on Dopamine. I've been asking for Wellbutrin for a long time, this pretty much proves that it could be quite helpful given the low Dopamine. This also correlates with the fact that I should be getting methyl groups - so even though my B12 level was fine, maybe it was the methyl groups it (methyl-B12) donated that were helping so much. Turmeric also donates methyl groups! This is making lots of sense, but I'm wondering why it only became a problem more recently.

The A1298C causes BH4 deficiency - and it means that methylfolate is required to supplement (5-MTHF = 5-methyltetrahydrofolate). It appears that this also causes issues with proteins (and resulting ammonia detox which seems to be impaired), which I've always felt bothered me. The resultant situation isn't all together too different from having PKU. The body has issues with phenylalanine, it runs low in BH4. There have been trials where PKU patients have been given BH4 to see if it helps them overcome some of the issues and have better quality of life.

I'm not sure that the rest of these mean as much, as they are heterozygous, but I feel like 6 of them is a lot! Also, I'm not sure if there is an epigenetic mechanism that could theoretically switch OFF the good allele - which would complicate things a ton. At any rate, I have seen data that states that hetero alleles generally result in some reduction in function, maybe enough to slightly elevate homocysteine in the case of the CBS genes.

MTRR R415T, MTRR A664A, BHMT-08, CBS C699T, CBS A360A, SHMT1 C1420T.

I haven't looked much into the P450 stuff yet, though I know it is super critical too. Is there a place to do that analysis by itself yet, or a list of SNPs to check? I have a lot of data from Promethease that talks about individual drug response. Ironically, I am 7x less likely to respond to most psych drugs - most of what I'm taking is worthless for me, but I kinda knew that already. It is nice to have hard data to go back and ask for different things, though!

At any rate, since I don't have any homozygous CBS mutations, I think I am cleared to take the methyl folate, though I wonder if getting BH4 (Not sure yet if it is still Rx Only) would be better. That is the bigger deficiency, and it can be taken orally BUT I don't believe it crosses the Blood-Brain Barrier, so it may not work for everything.

JUST GOT AN EMAIL STATING THIS INFORMATION IS CORRECTED FROM THE FIRST ONE I POSTED. Haven't yet figured out what changed with this email.

Lyn

__________________________________________________________________________________________

The Work of Dr. Amy Yasko Teleseminars

Tuesdays at 5:00pm PST, 6:00pm MST, 7:00pm CST and 8:00pm EST

The dial in number is 805-399-1000

Welcome everyone! My name is Tricia Stenzel and I will be moderating this series of teleconferences on "The Work of Dr. Amy Yasko". These teleconferences will be happening every Tuesday evening, 5:00pm PST, 6:00pm MST, 7:00pm CST and 8:00pm EST starting January 22, 2013.

As some of you know I used to be an Officer/Patient Advocate with a Lyme Disease Organization. I have had numerous people come to me about why they are not getting well from their various health issues. I wanted to help these people, and I also wanted to recruit the best Doctors in my opinion to help us understand what is going on with our bodies and explain things to us so that we can better heal. I am honored that Dr. Amy Yasko has asked Dr. Nancy Mullan and Mrs. Erin Griffin to help us with this. I would like to thank Dr. Yasko for her brilliant work and for asking us to present these teleconferences.

The topic for January 22, 2013 is

Your Single Most Important Biochemical Process: Methylation

Your body has a "traffic light" for its biochemical pathways. Dr. Nancy Mullan, with Mrs. Erin Griffin, discuss how it can work well, what can go wrong and what that means for you.

You can listen to the call and see the slides that Dr. Mullan will be explaining by logging on to

https://www.freeconferencing.com/meetings/437-519-566

Enter your email address and name to log in.

This one's for YOU!

We want your input. We would like you to tell us what you want to know. We want to know if you need something repeated. You can send your questions to patriciastenzel@gmail.com Your questions can be about anything. They do not have to be about the particular week's conference subject. The teleconference will last approximately one hour. There will be approximately one half hour of lecture and then I will have the opportunity to ask Dr. Mullan and Mrs. Griffin your questions. We will be adjusting what we are doing as we go along to make this teleconference the most satisfying experience for you. I urge all of you to listen to this important information.

The conference call in number is (805) 399-1000.

This is a US toll based phone number and depending on your long distance provider you may be charged for this call. You may have unlimited long distance. If you do not, long distance charges will apply.

All teleconferences will be recorded.

Call 805-399-1099 to hear a replay of the teleconference

This and other pertinent information will be posted on Dr. Mullan's Facebook page, my Facebook page and Dr. Yasko's Facebook page.

I will also be posting the following week's topic for discussion.

Mrs. Erin Griffin is the married mother of two sons recovering from Autism Spectrum Disorder. She has been the moderator of Dr. Yasko's CH3 Nutrigenomics Parent Discussion Forum since 2005. She is the go-to person for getting it right when doing Dr. Yasko's program. She is a tireless advocate for patients and is the leader and most prominent of the Cyber Moms, a group of knowledgeable, beautiful, generous, loving women who spend hours each day helping other mothers recover their children.

Author, Lecturer, Clinician, Nancy Mullan, MD, recovers patients using the methods of Dr. Amy Yasko. Educated at the University of Pennsylvania, Tufts University School of Medicine and the University of Chicago Hospitals, Dr. Mullan is best known for her genetics based clinical therapeutics. She has written a number of ground breaking papers with Dr. Yasko that can be found under Resources on her web site, www.NancyMullanMD.com . Their most recent paper, Aluminium Toxicity in Mitochondrial Disorders in Autism Spectrum Disorder is posted on their respective Facebook pages.

I am honored to be the moderator of this series of teleconferences and urge all of you to please submit questions or topics that you would like discussed to either myself at patriciastenzel@gmail.com or Dr. Nancy Mullan at nancymullanmd@aol.com because we want your input on what you would like to hear Dr. Mullan discuss. We are looking forward to a big turnout! You will not regret the time you spend with us!

Sincerely,

Tricia Stenzel

");