Help Me To Understand This

Achilles2323

I hope someone can help you understand this and in turn help me as well. My vitals seem fine one day, yet I feel poor. The next day my BP is lower than usual and HR higher and I still feel poor. The next day my BP is on the higher side with increased HR and I still feel poor. In conclusion, it doesn't really seem to matter what my vitals are, I still feel poorly. I just don't get it. I am on a BB that seems to help somewhat, but my vitals are still all over the place day to day and I just can't seem to get a handle on it.

BTW, MomtoGiuliana, how does a dr. check for low blood volume? I've never had this checked and no dr. has even ever suggested that I get tested for it.

Another question...can someone explain pulse pressure and its significance, if there is any?

Thanks!

Hoping you feel better soon Achilles :)

As a physiological being, we are more than the compilation of a series of numbers. Our physiological status is always in flux and though the "numbers" seem normal, the reality is we still have floppy blood vessels, dehydration, and poorly compliant cardiovascular systems - particularly with dysautonomia. I am a big advocate of treating the patient and the symptoms, not so much just the "numbers"......

I know for me that hr and bp can be normal yet I can have POTS symptoms and vice versa. I think in my case, a beta blocker can control my HR/BP however I still have low blood volume above my heart which makes me dizzy.

I think she's saying blood doesn't reach the brain as it should and this may cause the dizzy feeling. Correct me if I'm wrong. That's why I asked if lying down helps - more blood to the head. Lying down helps me too.

Achilles,

what do you mean when you say that your HR and BP are under control? Can you be a bit more specific?

I can tell you that when my BP is 120 or slightly higher I feel horrible, yet a systolic BP of 120 is considered the 'standard' for normal BP - turns out that for me it's too high. My normal systolic BP is under 100, and I had nurses constantly ask me if I felt dizzy when in the hospital and my readings would be in the 90's while standing.

Do you happen to know what your BP/HR were before POTS and before meds? Could it be that the meds you're on might be keeping those number under control, yet those are lower than the numbers your body is used to? It may take a while for your body to adjust to the new 'normal'?! (I might be wrong though...)

Also MomtoGiuliana is the name of one of dinet's moderators that has answered your question - see above. Her post is the first after your question.

Alex

I know for me that hr and bp can be normal yet I can have POTS symptoms and vice versa. I think in my case, a beta blocker can control my HR/BP however I still have low blood volume above my heart which makes me dizzy.

I think she's saying blood doesn't reach the brain as it should and this may cause the dizzy feeling. Correct me if I'm wrong. That's why I asked if lying down helps - more blood to the head. Lying down helps me too.

Yes, exactly what I meant Naomi. For me it is often relieved by lying down.