Ssri Do They Really Help?

Achilles2323

Antidepressants, especially selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) such as fluoxetine (Prozac), sertraline (Zoloft), citalopram (Celexa), escitalopram (Lexapro), and paroxetine (Paxil), can be extremely effective in re-regulating the autonomic nervous system and raising blood pressure. Some studies indicate that serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) such as venlafaxine (Effexor) and duloxetine (Cymbalta) are even more effective. Tricyclic antidepressants, tetracyclic antidepressants, and monoamine oxidase inhibitors are also occasionally, but rarely, prescribed. A combination of two antidepressants, usually an SSRI or SNRI with bupropion (Wellbutrin) or mirtazapine (Remeron), is also shown to be very effective.

is this true ?

I was totally against getting on a SNRI. I had never been depressed, I admit after POTS hit me in the face I was down, but I wouldn't consider it depressed. My neurologist encouraged me to try them because they can help with the ANS. My symptoms were driving me insane...so I gave them a try.

I have seen a big improvement in my symptoms. I don't know if it was the SSRI, or just time. Either way I don't regret getting on them. It might be a different story when I try to get off of them. I understand it can be hard.

When I first started having symptoms 5+ yrs ago I was put on lexapro (for anxiety attacks as POTS was not even a known quantity then for me) and it made me feel a little better for about 4 months then I noticed I actually started having acute attacks about 1/1 an hour after taking it. We switched to Paxil and the same thing happened with acute attacks shortly after dosing. We decided that it was a bad class of drugs for me. But there are people that have said it has helped them. I think any drug treatment's success or side effects seems to be even more individualized among our population because many of us have comorbid conditions that make us reacted strangely to meds....hypersensitivity, hyposensitivity, paradoxical reactions.

Of all the meds I've tried for POTS, celexa (at the lowest possible dose) was probably my worst experience ever (after benzodiazepines) - within 24 h I started having labile blood pressure, horrible tachycardia, insomnia, agitation, restlesness, total lack of appetite, headaches, anxiety ...you name it I had it. 2 days after I stopped the drug I regained my 'sanity' and all the symptoms I listed vanished.

There are people here on dinet who have seen huge improvement in their symptoms after starting SSRI's and see them as life-saving, but I can only speak for myself.

I guess there is no way of knowing how you're going to react to a certain med unless you try it.

Best of luck finding something that works for you.

Alex

yes and no. I think it really depends on the person. I took zoloft (sertraline) for about 2 months and had a pretty bad neurological reaction (just call me twitchy haha) and had to go cold turkey off 100 mgs. However, before the reaction, it was helping me. Not greatly but it was a tool I felt was useful however I dont think Im willing to go through withdrawels and neurological reactions again. I would recommend giving one a try but have your doc start you at a low dose and move slowly with it to make sure your system has a chance to adjust to it. Good luck and remember everyone is different so if it doesnt work for one of us doesn't mean it wont work for u..=)

I am one of those it worked wonders for. I was on Lexapro (SSRI) for a year and It made me functional again. I switched off due to 25lbs and fatigue, and started taking Effexor (SNRI). Also helped tremendously. But the side effects are tough. (Less fatigue, but MAJOR night sweats!) Now trying a third. For me, they are the difference between functional and not functional. BUT....weaning up is several weeks of tachycardia, dizziness, nausea, the works. If I can push through, it ends up being worth it. I had to use Xanax to get me through those first few weeks.

I know there are others who have found this to be their answer. Good luck.

before lexapro i felt like i was going to pass out 24/7. my bp was pretty low. with lexapro my bp is normal. it did cause weight gain, but i am super sick without lexapro. i hate the weight gain, but would rather be heavier and feel better then be thin and feel like i am dying. i cant take snri, the norepinephrine makes my tachycardia worse.