Flu Shot ???????

Achilles2323

I was just thinking about this. I went to my cardiologist today and thought to ask her. I have been afraid to get it because of possible POTs reactions to the shot.

Iwas suprised because I figured she would say yes, get it. BUT.. she said 1. If you haven't aleady gotten it, not too. 2. Many POTs patients have reactions to shot and I shouldn't worry about it.

I said even though the media is saying this is the "worst year" and everyone should, she said nope, don't get it.

So...

Probably other doctors have different opinions. I live in Michigan and it is all over the t.v. here too!

I got the shot, was a little woozy for a day or two and then was alright. I've been getting the shot since I've had POTS and sometimes I have a tiny reaction but nothing like the year I did get the flu. I had my flu shot in oct & I'm still terrified of getting the flu, the news gives me the heeby jeeby's.

I have always been told to get the shot. I got POTS from a viral infection, so I'm all set getting the flu.

My major city has issued a state of flu emergency. I had an appointment there tomorrow. I saw my cardio/POTS doctor today and I asked him should I go #1? He said, "No, he office would cancel the appointment for me. He agreed with me that where I hadn't had a flu shot, I shouldn't go. It wasn't a life or death situation and I could make another appointment even if it took 3 months. #2 I did ask his opinion about getting a flu shot now. He thought I should, due to how badly this flu is effecting people and potsies get it so much worse than everyone else. Last I checked 18 people have died in my state from the flu.

If I do get it I like the preservative free one. Around here Walgreen usually has it. He also said I most likely would get symptoms for the shot for a few days. : ( It's like we have the flu all the time anyway.

I have been in the hospital 2 times for the flu. Once it wasn't even the strain that was in the vaccine that year.

At this point I'm more concerned about my children. I don't want to bring anything them when they visit me.I started iron infusions @ my local hospital today. Everyone was saying it was so empty. I think people were scared to come out.

I'm going to flip a coin...In PAST I just took a lot of ECHINACEA. Now, I'm afraid to mix with meds.

I'm going to wear masks everywhere and make a fashion statement. Wanna join me? Oh yeah, and latex free gloves too!!!

Good Luck all ~

I get the flu shot every year. I can't describe how awful the flu and pots were together... I ended up in the hospital both times. So anything I can do to prevent that from happening I'll do. It doesn't always work (when I had it the worst I'd actually had the flu shot, they just guessed wrong on the strains that year) but I figure it's still a better bet to get the shot. :)

Was just thinking after SpinnyC's post how extra Potsie I always get when I get the flu for the longest time.

My son got the flu shot 10 days ago and has the flu now. His POT symptoms are worse. He is also taking Tamiflu and so far I really don't think it has affected the POTS. The first day I realized it might be flu, he started chilling, could not stand up to walk, and he complained of more muscle pain. He started taking Tamiflu the next day, so far his symptoms have not gotten any worse yet. Today will be his third day on it, so hopfully nothing will be worse. Last year, he took the flu shot the last of November and never got the flu. So it might take longer for it to build up in a POTS body.

I got the shot in Dec and am glad that I did now that flu is so widespread this season. I never have any reaction to it. I am more scared of getting the flu. Last yr I skipped the shot and had a terrible virus that had me on my back w my heart pounding and fever of 102 for 3 days--and POTS symptoms for another week. For me the shot is better than the risk of the flu. But each person should talk to their dr.

I've had one flu shot and had a very painful site reaction. That was before I found out I had CVID immune deficiency. Flu shots don't work on us because we aren't able to produce a response. Which is why I probably had a site reaction as I my body couldn't fight off the stuff in the shot. Fortunately it was only a local reaction.

Surprisingly, and I hope I don't jinks myself. I don't get flu or colds very often. I'm a bit anal about touching stuff in public though and I'm home mostly so I'm not being exposed.

I've taken the flu shot every year for the past 10 years or so - other than a sore arm for a couple of days, I've never had a problem. The one year I did not take the flu shot, I came down with the flu so bad that I was out of work for about a month and ended up with raging pneumonia. I know that the flu shot does not guarantee I won't get the flu but, it can sure lessen the severity of it if I do come down with it. I will continue to take it every year.

I did take the pneumonia shot this year - did not have a problem. I also took the shingles vaccine right before Christmas and I came down with the rarest of reactions: "flu like syndrome" - I did not actually have the flu, just the syndrome associated with a shingles vaccine reaction. My doctor said it is quite rare and less than 1% of the people who take the shingles vaccine ever have this problem. I did end up in the hospital and was sick as a dog for about 2 weeks - I'll absolutely never take the shingles vaccine again.......

I've had one flu shot and had a very painful site reaction. That was before I found out I had CVID immune deficiency. Flu shots don't work on us because we aren't able to produce a response. Which is why I probably had a site reaction as I my body couldn't fight off the stuff in the shot. Fortunately it was only a local reaction.

Surprisingly, and I hope I don't jinks myself. I don't get flu or colds very often. I'm a bit anal about touching stuff in public though and I'm home mostly so I'm not being exposed.

Interesting, I just was going to post that I got my

Shot, but the site hurts so bad . Almost like a Tetanus Shot.

The site also feels warm. Just when I was going to post I

Found AZgirl's post and thought once again, something else that makes

You go hmmm.... I'll have to look into that. Thanks for posting.

I was diagnosed with POTS about 6 months ago, and I always felt off/sick after a flu shot in the past. This year was no different, except it really exacerbated my symptoms of lightheadedness and vertigo for a couple of weeks. While it stunk and the time, I figured for me, it might be even worse to get the actual flu.

even people who don't have pots have issues with getting the flu shot as i have observed...often they still get a flu, sometimes i believe when they wouldn't otherwise and still the flu shot doesn't cover every version of flu out there. there are too many flu viruses and they are always metamorphosing every year so i don't understand what the point is. i think the shot is derived and successful out of fear. just my opinion tho.

No issues here, and I've gotten the flu shot for years. In terms of pain, it does feel about as painful as a tetanus shot because both are injected into the muscle, rather than the fat. I have found success with taking an NSAID (like ibuprofen) beforehand, and then about five minutes after the shot I start swinging my arm to make the shot diffuse more quickly; for me it prevents a lot of the pain, and I just sleep on the other side for a night. (if it helps, my POTS isn't autoimmune or post-viral)