Which Kind Of Salt Is Best?

I've been trying to increase my salt intake like my neuro suggested, but I'm a little confused by all of the different kinds of salt available today -- table salt, pink himalayan salt, gray celtic sea salt, etc. When you folks put salt in your drinks or on your food, which kind do you use? Do you know the mineral content of the different kinds? And what about iodized salt? Is that important?

I've used Himalayan crystal salt for several years and love it. If you're going to use sea salt, get the gray Celtic. I've used that in the past however I switched to Himalayan after reading a sea salt analysis. Something about toxins/heavy metals ending up in the salt. Himalayan is just as good if not better so I tend to err on the side of caution.

From what I remember, table salt is "Iodized" because a section of the US called the "Goiter belt" does not have enough naturally occurring iodine in the ground. It was linked to iodine deficiency - which lead to these really nasty "goiters" (which I think is thyroid inflammation - looks like the monster from "Alien" is about to pop out!). Unless you live in an area with iodine deficient soil and only eat locally grown produce, you should be fine. Otherwise, I think you would need to take an iodine supplement, use iodized salt, or use sea salt which I believe has iodine in it (the gray Celtic would).

I can't vouch/confirm any of the following claims but am showing nonetheless, from a random blog:

Since I save everything I research, I was able to show him a ton of reliable information on the subject. Now that I'm blogging, I just wanted to present some of that information here. My personal philosophy on presenting a case on something is to just present those facts that the person can at least go out and confirm for themselves. Here are some of the main bullet points that I presented to him.

- Sea salt may dehydrate the body whereas Himalayan Salt helps hydrate the body

- Sea salt is difficult to digest and assimilate for our bodies because it is not at the mineral electrolyte size which is immediately usable in our blood and cells (I know that's a mouthful)

- No digestion is necessary for Himalayan Salt, therefore it is ready for immediate use by the body when dissolved in water, unlike sea salt.

- Himalayan Salt contains all the 84 minerals in the body in perfect balance

- Himalayan Salt is unrefined, and almost in it natural state as it was when created hundreds of million of years ago, about 89% of Sea Salts are now refined

- Sea salt can be taken from oceans whose waters have become progressively more toxic waters over the last few decades

- Manufacturers are now playing games with the "sea salt" label. Any salt can be labeled sea salt and still be a refined salt with a weak mineral profile.

- Unlike Sea Salt, Himalayan salt is almost always hand mined and never comes in contact with chemicals that may be harmful to the body.

- My own personal note is that Himalayan Salt has a taste that is almost like a "sweet-salty" spice, it's awesome

As recommended by my cardiologist, I take sodium chloride capsules. I can’t tolerate taking the capsules whole so I break them open and dissolve them in my water and sprinkle them on my food. I find that it’s easier to track my intake with the capsules, rather than table salt.

I would tell you to use Iodized salt because of potassium issues that might develop. My son was just using plain sea salt. This can also be bought iodized.I saw some improvement after we made this change. However, I also know that my son has low renin and low adlerstrome, which can be an indication of low potassium levels. MAYO also recommended sea salt and thermotabs to use with my son. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input everyone!

I bought some himalayan salt and I really liked the flavor. However, being a part of a large family has its disadvantages . . . my hubby and kids also liked it, so now I have to share it with seven others! I think I will still use some iodized salt (in cooking, etc.). I also checked the multi vitamin which I've been taking and it says it provides 100% DV for iodine, so I guess I shouldn't worry about that.