Posture

imre

This might sound strange but...I feel like sitting/ standing up straight, using good posture, helps a bit. It could be because I use my core and flex my legs a bit more while using good posture. Or perhaps it is conducive to good circulation.

I am not sure how much of a difference, if any, there is. Or if I've just tricked myself and feel a placebo effect. Anyway, would love to hear some thoughts.

Yes, it helps - there could numerous reasons. The body works more efficiently when you are in alignment. Also, you can breathe better in this position - slouching closes off you lungs. Of course, as you mentioned, squeezing the core helps with BP.

in my own case In addition of all of this i think I am putting pressure on nerves in my neck and or shoulders which contributes to or causes my POTS.

I've found that posture is a big one for me - even though it's very hard to maintain when I'm tired! In some ways it reminds me of the trick I use some days to feel less "bleh" - just putting on a shirt and fleece pants instead of a bathrobe makes me feel better. But what yogini says above is definitely true - it makes breathing easier and does help your muscles avoid some pooling. Just make sure that it's active posture, not the soldier-at-attention type, since locking your knees and not moving your leg muscles is a great way for even non-POTSies to faint!

I thought about this too. EDSers tend to slouch and we also have cervical issues, so I'm sure a good posture helps a lot. Based on the Driscoll theory, I bought a cervical soft collar and I try to wear it often to help with my posture. My tinnitus and neck pain improve with it, sometimes it helps with brain fog too. So yes, posture matters!

Hah! I never knew I had cervical issues until the last few weeks when I saw a good PT for my shoulder and jaw (he has hypermobility in the family, so he is really good at knowing how to treat patients with it). We've been working on posture and building up the neck muscles to keep the cervical spine from being wibbly - fun times.

• 6 months later...

this is why yoga is awesome....it will do wonders for your posture. I recommend vinyasa and concentrate more on your posture and breathing than keeping up with the moves. Just be careful and listen to your body as before I was dx'd with pots I almost passed out in downward dog....I think the blood to my brain turned everything black.