Hyponatremia

Jenn202

I was wondering how many of you have been diagnosed with Hyponatremia.... I know many of you have low sodium, like myself, But As my sodium drops I end up retaining water in my tissue..... Its a dangerous problem from what I have read, although my Dr's do not seem so overly concerned about it....

When my sodium drops I also get very weak, palps, dizzy, muscle fatigu and muscle cramps... Any of this sound familiar at all?

I am like this today after getting over a virus I had last week.....

Anyone with a similar experience I would really appreciate input and if you had further testing. From what I have read it is very complex and there are many forms of hyponatremia.

Thanks again for your support!! :(:)

I was never diagnosed with this--just POTS--but I have had low blood sodium AND mild swelling. This has cleared up for me, at least for the time being, after treatment for POTS and recovery time. I do still get mild swelling in my lower legs from time to time. I developed POTS with pregnancy, and became very ill post partum. At the times that my sodium was low I felt the absolute worst--very very ill and weak, with the symptoms you have listed. I think this is pretty common for POTS patients to have trouble keeping electrolytes up (I don't know about the concurrent swelling though).

The doctors who evaluated me seemed pretty unconcerned, except for my ability to function, I should say. In other words, there was never any concern I had something that was going to be life-threatening.

Hopefully your condition will improve over time with treatment. But you may find that stresses like viruses, etc could set you back.

Katherine

My Dr. told me that this is the hallmark of pots. We don't have enough red blood cells and salt to bind with water, that is why we have swelling below our heart. She said this is when I need to take extra sodium and bets blockers to help.

Hope this helps. Miriam :(

This is something that definitely needs to be managed and explained by your doctor. Really low sodium can be dangerous and caused by another reason.

Many of us dont suffer low sodium but instead need to increase it beyond the normal persons intake.

Please be safe and follow up with your doc. Take him a list of questions and concerns :)

Thank you for all your input!

My Dr's are pretty unconcerned about it being dangerous... I guess its a POTS related thing.... I have nothing else wrong..have been through all the testing for everything else in the entire world...

I just take TONS of slat when It acts up and lower my fluid intake a bit....

Miriam - I never thought about it that way..... But it makes so much sense!

Katherine - I am so happy you have been able to getall these thig sunder control...right now I am not on meds...waiting for my Grubb and Mayo testing....

I am hoping I will find a good combo that works....

Ernie - Its hard to say if your symptoms are from low sodium.... But it seems high likely it could be since It looks like we all tend to lean towards electrolite imbalance.

hi Bria - I think you might have misread my post..I have low sodium and have to increase my salt intake to a crazy level.... if I dont do this than hyponatremia can occure......

Its like I am always trying to balance fluid every day... So frustrating!

Thank you guys as always... I appreciate your weekly support b/c I know you are all dealing with your own problems...it means so much :)