Jaw Pain Anyone??

southbel

I've been having a pretty tough time lately between not sleeping normal hours due to adrenaline rushes and just a pretty good flare of my tachycardia/lightheaded symptoms. One thing that has driven me absolutely nuts of late is the jaw pain I've been having. Feels like a very tight muscle issue. I would say TMJ from the symptoms but I am not a clencher, grinder, etc. This has coincided with the start of the adrenaline rushes.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've noticed that Benadryl seems to help with the pain. Ibuprofen hasn't touched it.

I have dental pain and jaw pain that tends to increase when I am symptomatic. It doesn't sound like the tightness you have although when I open and close my jaw I hear crackling in my ears. My pain is more of a sensitive dull ache. It happens in my jaw, mostly left side, and in my teeth/ gums around where I've had dental work in the last 2 yrs.

Hilariously, the thing that I believe triggered my POTS is also the thing that we know triggered my grinding/clenching at night: Cymbalta, a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. When reading this I went "not much of a link between my POTS and the jaw pain other than timing," but now that I think about it, my massage therapist was finally able to get my jaw to unlock (after 13 months) about three weeks after I started the clonidine. I wonder if that's related? I have had some jaw issues for years (whoo HMS/TMJ), but it got dramatically worse with the Cymbalta - I suspect that the increased amounts of norepinephrine (and hence SNS involvement) are to blame.

I do still have pain, sadly - worse now that it's unlocked, of course... - but at least I can get it to relax and unlock with the right self-massage (the ropey muscles in the back of the neck for me). Regarding pain, I have a constant background dull ache with exacerbations of fairly strong (7/10) pain that has woken me up at night. I've worn two nightguards to protect my teeth, but neither has stopped the grinding.

carrie, thx for the link, gonna have to give that a more thourough read when my brain is awake.

I have severe jaw pain, to the point I cant eat sometimes. I havent been able to chew gum in years, a day after my jaw will lock shut and be painful. The joints in my jaw are severely out of alignment and click when I chew. I finnally went a dentist and had xrays and exam and have severe Tmj.

I never knew I was a clincher or displayed bruxism, however my dentist said with autonaumic issues sometimes we have delayed rem and adrenaline surges that contributes to the bruxism. ( figures my dentist would know more than my doctor haha) I have perfectly healthy teeth, no cavities for 16 years but my teeth just ache and even will feel loose sometimes, I was fitted for a dental split which helps considerably, however I am still paying for the $1200.00 device...yuck. If I could do it again Id pay around 50 for a decent one at the drugstore. I still get a lot of tooth and jaw pain but it def. helps. Also moist heat with some essential oils helps when my jaw swells and locks.

I used to take ibuprofen for it but it didnt always help so I started using flexeril preventativly before bed which helped enormously. Cant take flexeril anymore...oh how I miss it.

Good luck

I had treatment for supposed TMJ issues in college to see if it would help my migraines. (It didn't). Other than that, the only jaw issues I ever had were from subluxing them due to my EDS.

However, when I had my initial really bad flare with POTS, one of the most annoying symptoms was terrible jaw pain. I could hardly stand to lie on my sides because my jaws hurt so badly. Never did figure out why or what caused it, but it resolved eventually.

Have had trouble with my jaw since the beginning, during my TTT, it was my main symptom other than being dizzy. I had trigeminal neuralgia for several weeks a few months back and wouldn't wish that on a wasp!! The MOST pain I've ever experienced. Neurontin prescribed by my doctor helped with that... Have you been checked for sleep apnea? 30% of us have it, and talk with your doctor, because meds should help with rigidity....just saying :)

Went to the cardio today. He is concerned that I am not tolerating the Metoprolol and thus changed my meds again to Verapamil since I've had bad luck on Beta Blockers thus far. Just took the Verapamil so I'll see if it makes a difference. The reason he thinks the Metoprolol might be to blame is because the intense jaw pain started at the same time he upped my dosage since the lower dosage wasn't touching the tachycardia.

I'm very worried about the Verapamil after reading some on here but I figure I'll try it. Shoot, they're getting used to treating my anaphalaxis in the ER from so many of my other med tries. Guess it's there if I need it.