Problems With Elevators

maggie

I used to avoid elevators because I'd feel so lightheaded. I can't do that anymore though because Stairs seem to bother me now.

I have problems with elevators too. It has only been in the last 6 months. I avoid them when I can now but its hard because stairs give me really bad tachy. I seem to need to choose between feeling dizzy and unstable or tachy...i tend to choose tachy. It goes away faster. I agree with diamondcut that it has to do with the gravity. The longer (level) I have to be on the elevator the worse it seems to be.

Thank you for all your responses. It took me some time to figure out why I was getting so dizzy when I have never had this before. Here I moved from a big home on 10 acres to downsize to a small condo so I wouldn't have so much to maintain. Now I find I can't leave my small condo too many times in a day or else I have to deal with the dizzy part. I thought I was making such a wise choice and now I face this problem. Oh well hopefully my body will adjust to elevators, I don't think I could walk up 13 flight of stairs although I have looked at the stairwell and thought it over!!!!

Maggie

I discussed this with my dance instructor and he stated the reason for me getting dizzy he thought was from the force of the elevator going up, which in turns drains the blood from your head faster then normal, thus the dizzy spell. It wouldn't make any difference sitting down, but I was wondering if I layed down in the elevator, that way keeping my body level would that help, but then again do I really want to lay down in the elevator where everyone is walking? I really don't think so, unless maybe I took a mat with me to put under me. Then I thought of what if I met someone getting on the elevator and I'm laying down, how does one explain that? Anyone have any suggestions?

Maggie

Huh, I never really thought about why that might happen, the gravity thing makes a little sense. What about on the way down though? I've always felt dizzy going both ways.

I know that I wouldn't be able to crouch or sit because standing up would be even worse than the effect of the elevator, but I have found that just sort of slouching/leaning to support myself on the walls helps a little bit. It's my instinct pretty much anytime I start to feel dizzy or faint, but it seems to help keep it from getting too bad, and it's a fairly good place to regain composure so I can actually walk off the elevator.

I'm like Katybug in that elevators, escalators, and sometimes even the stairs will mess with the motion part of my brain. My vision also gets out of whack and I feel like I'm not really "there."

You can try looking straight up at the ceiling while in an elevator and see if it helps. Some elevators are worse than others for sure!! I helped my brother move in and out of his dorm this summer and that elevator was AWFUL. 3 times going up and down and I felt like I had been on a boat all day long!