Can Pcos Cause Pots?

puppylove

I was diagnosed with PCOS yesterday. Could it be the cause of POTS or is it just like another name they slap on for the symptoms your having? If it can't cause it then I want to keep searching for why I have these syndromes... Thanks in advance! :)

I thought I had that in my early twenties due to my symptoms, weight gain, dark hair growth and an absence of my cycle for over 1 year. I have no idea if it causes POTS or is just another hormonal cascade that dysautonomia can disrupt. I do think it could be linked or in my cause, once I cleared up the PCOS my POTS symptoms were much better. PCOS can be easily managed through what you eat or don't eat more importantly. Cutting all sugar and all but a few grains (quinoa and brown rice) is almost necessary.

Hi puppy, I've had pcos for years and did not get diagnosed until much later in life, it is part of the reason I have no children. Had I known sooner perhaps that would have been different. It is fortunate that you have found this out so young, as the available treatments can manage it very well and keep the more severe infertility issues from progressing.

May I ask how they diagnosed you, what tests you've already had done and what your symptoms were? PCOS is caused by excessive insulin and/or other abnormal sexual hormones. IMHO, yes it can contribute to dysautonomia and or disrupt other balancing hormones. Insulin is a stimulating and fat storing hormone, and when it is high do as much damage in different ways, as high glucose does in diabetes. It also predisposes you to diabetes and cardiovascular disease.

I'm happy to help you through my experience in any way that you need. Take care.

Hi, I had blood tests done to find out. My symptoms of this syndrome are high insulin, swelling, no periods, and obesity even though I barely eat anything since POTS gives me nausea. Thanks, if I have a question I will pm you :).

I've been taking some form of glucophage for it for years now, it lowers the insulin levels, cholesterol even and will start ovulation again. I lost 25 pounds without trying when I first went on it. I now take glumetza it is easier on the gi track then plain glucophage.

The weight gain without eating anything "classic", that was how I knew something was wrong, I didn't eat much either.

You have a good doctor who thought to check the insulin, many still don't know to do that. Hope they get you on treatment soon, it will make a huge difference. I also avoided taking birth control pills, which used to be the way they treated it, it can help pain symptoms, but does nothing for the underlying disease state.

Good luck with all this. I'm happy you found out!