Elavil Or Lamectil?

k&ajsmom

Doc wants me on one or the other....opinions? I am scared of the side effects of the elavil, heard bad things however Lamectil, after some research seems a little leary as well. Can anyone explain how these work for pots? I cant seem to find an article or relation to pots treatment. I am very undereducated on these meds TIA =).

Are you referring to Lamictal, the anti-seizure drug?

I've been on Lamictal for... let's see now, 6.5 years. I take the maximum dose (400mg) of the generic (lamotrigine). However, I take it to manage my bipolar disorder rather than for any POTS-related reason; as far as I can tell it hasn't done anything, but keep in mind that I've taken it at that dose for my entire POTSy period from symptom start until now. I don't really have any side effects on it (other than weird dreams, which I already had!), but I don't know anything about it and POTS.

thank u so much peregrine, I wish I would have seen the med in your signature to ask sooner...I find it comforting you do not have any side effects, I am a bit of a pharmacophobic and rightly gun shy recently with the meds. Anyways, I was wondering how your bp and hr runs if you dont mind me asking. I know you cant say in relation to lamictal but just in general. I was just reading it helps stabalize bp in some people with dysautonomia and bi-polar disorder, but nothing on heart rate yet, I hope Im not prying.... ^_^ Tia either way and take care =)

No worries! Before medications (atenolol, pyridostigmine, methylphenidate, clonidine) my BP swung between normal-ish (110/70) and high-ish (140/90). During my TTT it went between 62/50 and 170/100. My HR before meds was resting ~70, standing ~120-150, and exercising ~150-200. Before I started having my POTS symptoms (so the first 5 years of my Lamictal use) BP was 110/70-120/80 and HR normal (resting ~60, standing ~80, and exercising ~120).

Back when I started Lamictal I wasn't very sensitive to meds - hardly ever had side effects, etc (not true now!). If you do end up taking it, start very slowly so as to minimize the risks of Stevens-Johnson Syndrome/rash.

Thx P,

There just seems to be no rhyme or reason with this stuff sometimes. Im still pondering my choices and may for a while. This steven-johnsons syndrome is a worry fro me, probaly the only one holding me back from L. I guess I need to google it some more to put my mind at rest. Thx again =)