Need Help Finding Article/gulf War Illness

HopeSprings

Interesting. I have a friend that started taking Mestinon and I swear it's affected his memory. He's brilliant - but, I noticed a change when he started this med. Scary, this is one of the things given to some POTS people. I've also read that it can cause some of the problems they are trying to treat ---like with MG. It can cause more weakness - instead of improving it. What are the doctors doing to us? We have to not blindly take things ---question everything and figure out if it makes sense or not. If there isn't scientific proof of a problem --don't create one, by causing more dysfunction in the body with a med.

Issie

Wow Issie and Raleigh,

you're scaring me. I've been on mestinon for a year and I think it's the only med that I believe helps me I can tolerate without major scary side effects.

To be honest I haven't noticed any memory impairment...yet.

Issie, is there any chance that your friend may be experiencing something totally unrelated?

Alex

They scanned their brains using a technique called diffusion tensor imaging, which highlights the bundles of nerves, or white matter, connecting brain regions. They compared these to scans of 20 veterans who were not deployed in the Gulf.

The images indicate that in GWS, these nerve bundles break down and may have trouble forming connections, a phenomenon that has not been associated with any other illness. This suggests that the brain circuitry, rather than any specific brain area, is disrupted in people with the condition. Veterans with the worst symptoms tended to have the most pronounced abnormalities in their white matter.

I want this test.

What are the doctors doing to us? We have to not blindly take things ---question everything and figure out if it makes sense or not. If there isn't scientific proof of a problem --don't create one, by causing more dysfunction in the body with a med.

Issie

YUP! Totally agree.

Issie, is there any chance that your friend may be experiencing something totally unrelated?

Alex

It seemed to be more noticeable, to me, when the med was started. But, there is always another possibility - obviously there was a problem or he wouldn't have started the med in the first place. And, we have to keep in mind ---this is only one study. There are other studies that may say something different.

But, it always pays to do our research and count the cost of what long term effects may be.

Hoping the best for all of us POTsies --trying to get better. Hope we don't hurt ourselves more.

Issie

I know exactly where you're coming from Issie. With the amount of research I've done lately ...I can write a book. I bet any one of us can as I'm sure we are all (desperately) trying to put our bits and pieces together.

This is one thing of the many I really appreciate about Dinet, we "speak" the same language and we try to share whatever info we think might help others. And you excel at that by far.

I'll try to keep track of my functioning neurons ... who knows how many have slipped through the cracks already. :wacko:

Alex

share whatever info we think might help others. And you excel at that by far.

I'll try to keep track of my functioning neurons ... who knows how many have slipped through the cracks already. :wacko:

Alex

Thanks --I try. Even if it could bring me a lot of criticism - if I put it on here --I think it's important. :)

I wouldn't discount this article either though. Because if there is a question mark ---well, then there is a question mark. If you catch my drift.

Issie

Mestinon does not cross the blood brain barrier thus could not I would guess cause central cholinergic (cns) abnormalities and would be ineffective in treating them.

many CFS and pots patients do also describe symptoms of impaired cns choline activity.

there are other poorly understood cns parasympathetic neurotransmitters. And finally Nancy klimas is a world leader - so far ahead of many on the CFS field.

so essentially they are saying that gf can cause pots. thats what a "expert" neuro explanation was with, ww2 victims are showing up with ptsd so many years later. i feel like thats ****, we are not (well not most) going thru that i think. so everyone with trauma are going to have ptsd/gf/pots. whatever

Just my take on it. But these symptoms from anticlonergic crisis often sound somewhat similar to what some CFS patients describe:

Acute Anticholinergic Syndrome

Possible effects of anticholinergics include:

Possible effects in the central nervous system resemble those associated with delirium, and may include:

• Confusion
  • Disorientation
  • Agitation
  • Euphoria or dysphoria
  • Respiratory depression
  • Memory problems[3]
  • Inability to concentrate
  • Wandering thoughts; inability to sustain a train of thought
  • Incoherent speech
  • Irritability
  • Mental confusion (brain fog)
  • Wakeful myoclonic jerking
  • Unusual sensitivity to sudden sounds
  • Illogical thinking
  • Photophobia
  • Visual disturbances
    • Periodic flashes of light
    • Periodic changes in visual field
    • Visual snow
    • Restricted or "tunnel vision"
  • Visual, auditory, or other sensory hallucinations[3]
  • Warping or waving of surfaces and edges
  • Textured surfaces
  • "Dancing" lines; "spiders", insects; form constants
  • Lifelike objects indistinguishable from reality
  • Hallucinated presence of people not actually there
  • Rarely: seizures, coma, and death
  • Orthostatic hypotension (sudden dropping of systolic blood pressure when standing up suddenly) and significantly increased risk of falls in the elderly population