New Doctor - New Ideas - Could This Be The Answer, Or At Least A Part Of Our Puzzle?

issie

Anglea, We thought you would be positive. Hope that the treatment helps you - I'm having improvements!

Appreciate the link and the fact that another doctor is treating for this and what her protocol is. It is very similar to what I'm doing. I noticed that she does lymphatic drainage things. That's one thing I think I need. As I have issues with that and a lot of headaches - I think this may be related to clearing of the veins and from what I'm reading on other sites - the blood can get a little thicker when you start having die off. Your body has to process the die off and it has to be eliminated. I think the enzymes that I'm recently put on will thin my blood some and also help to eliminate things better. Going through a herx at the moment because the enzymes also break down the bio-film so that the protozoa can be easier detected by the immune system.

It's a good sign that your immune system seems to be up and going and there are signs that it is eliminating things. Since I have a faulty immune system to boot - I think it will take me a little longer to get the desired results. I haven't started treating the co-infection yet either. One thing at a time. . . . .

Issie

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep, he hypthosizes that the protozoa causes issues with blood flow to the brain and then back down to the heart, which causes many of our issues with heart rate, blood pressure and dizziness, air hunger etc. he also definitely thinks a major part is the ccsvi...the vein issues of the kneck out of wack so then i felt comfortable enough mentioning the dva in my left temporal lobe...same area where my eeg noted brain slowing first dx'd as siezure activity, and I noticed, although he didn't comment this way or that, he wrote that down as if he was pondering something instead of disregarding like other docs I have seen in the past.

hopefully this didn't post 2x, when I tried to first post it said "saving post"

You have to find a doctor that deals with Lyme disease and their co-infections and get that checked first. It can be done through Quest Labs. This particular protozoa is tested by Dr. Fry and doctors can send in the blood to his lab for checking that.

Anglea, I liked the link you put up. Anyone else see the close similarities to us with our POTS?????? When I started figuring out some of the close tie-ins ---I had to pursue it as a possibility.

Issie

Hi everybody,

Haven't been on the site much lately, as I am entrenched in learning about my 23andMe SNPs by relearning biochemistry to better understand how diminished enzymatic pathways/methylation are contributing to my ongoing issues. Over the past 6 months, I have become even more convinced that underlying infections are why I am not able to heal, no matter what I have tried to get better.

I have significant mast cell activation (immune mast cell disorder), which hijacks my autonomic nervous system during anaphylaxis and less severe during mast cell degranulation. Typical mast cell meds have limited my reactions, but not stopped them completely. My 23andMe data shows significant blockages/diminished capacity of several essential specific enzymatic pathways, and correlated to many of my specific triggers, such as sulfa/sulfites/sulfur based foods, products and meds. Zantac contains sulfur, so I was adding to my issues with that one.

My latest "finds" have me looking at heavy metal toxicity. As a former healthcare worker, sick child and even sicker adult, I have been exposed to over 60 innoculations in my lifetime, have a mouthful of amalgams, and have a history of a mystery infection in my childhood, which is long suspected to be CMV/EBV, as I was bedridden for over a month in 2nd grade. I also have ongoing candida yeast issues after minimally successful multiple approaches to treatment, issues point to underlying co-infections and heavy metals, as metals often harbor these bugs, then sets off the immune system into high gear. Methylation issues are often linked to co-infections and heavy metal toxicity as the body can't rid of these things on their own.

I read this long informational post the other night, then today got this link through a FB Lyme site. I nearly fell off my chair, as I saw Dr Fry's name and the name of the presenter that Angela posted two days ago. Here is an extened version of the talk Angela posted, presented on January 26, 2013.

http://www.betterhealthguy.com/joomla/blog/282-dr-corson-speaks-at-physicians-round-table

Check out slide 23 - about the complexities of chronic ill patients. Notice how it states to support methylation.

Slide 36 mentions POTS. It also talks about elevated sulfate/ammonia. These are methylation issues tied most often to CBS and SUOX SNPs.

Slide 57 gives a pretty thorough approach to dealing with a chronically ill patient, which is similar to what I am reading in the methylation world.

This topic is facinating and I appreciate the conversation.

Issie, great to hear this is helping you so much.

Lyn

Yes, it is so surprising to me how my diet and what I'm doing for these infections correlate with what I'm learning that I need to do with my Methylation mutations. I have a CBS issue - and others. So, staying away from anything with a high sulfur content and eliminating that - using Yucca and molybdenum - to further address these issues. And staying away from wheat and gluten because of the high arginine content ---seems to be making a difference. It just seems that my puzzle pieces are falling into place. I hope that I'll continue to improve.

When you are in a herx - you have this awful feeling - that it will last. I've gone through one and the new supplement has thrown me into another one. So, I know it will get better. I try to not come on when I'm in a down/herx because you don't feel so good when it's happening and you might seem more negative then you should. But, I look at it as a good thing and a sign that things will get better past this detox phase.

I had another person write me today about finding out that they have Lyme's and a co-infection. They were having an awful HyperPOTS time and now after 4 months of treatment are feeling better. I hope she will post about her experience. It is amazing to me that there are so many similarities and issues that can be affecting our POTS with this as a possible connection. It might not be the "whole" answer - but, it's got to make some sort of a difference. Already, my labs are looking better. So, it's all up from here!

Issie

here u go rama, and to all who might connect something via this info, also note on dinet a cause of pots is the protazoa chagas, which is published I believe, so yeah, obviously parasites and protozoa/biofilm are proven autoimmune and can cause pots,

LYME DISEASE SYMPTOM CHECKLIST

James Schaller, M.D., M.A.R.

The following checklist is not meant to be complete or authoritative. Information about Lyme disease is constantly emerging and changing. Therefore any checklist is intended for use as a starting point. In traditional medicine, a physician performs a complete history and physical. Labs and studies assist in clarifying the differential diagnosis. In Lyme disease, much debate exists about laboratory kits, the alteration of kits to have fewer possible bands, and which labs are optimally sensitive and specific. This checklist is not intended to address that issue or treatment.

Over 200 vectors carry the Ixodes tick, which is the most commonly known insect spreading Lyme disease. With so many vectors, the underlying assumption behind this checklist is that Lyme is not rare in North America, Europe, South America, Russia, Africa or Asia.

We know Lyme disease is highly under-reported.

Immediately upon the onset of a tick bite, it transmits a pain killer, anti-histamine and an anti-coagulant. Based on animal studies, it is also possible the bulls-eye rash is less common then assumed, in part because injections of spirochete related material in laboratory animals only show a rash with the second injection.

This checklist is offered with the sincere wish that others will improve on it

Some of the checklist materials might be new to you, which underscores the need for another scale to add to the ones currently in existence. This list is based on a massive review of thousands of papers over a decade of full-time reading, 2012 science revelations, and/or massive chart reviews. Since modern Lyme disease seems to focus on tick borne disease and other laboratory testing, I will start with lab testing considerations. If a lab test has a value or a percentage, the numbers I am picking are meant to avoid missing positive patients. I am concerned about physicians and other healthcare workers not treating an infected patient, who over time can experience disability or death at a frequency that is impossible to determine.

LABORATORY TESTING—INDIRECT AND DIRECT

1. Vitamin D level is in the lowest 20%. If you supplement, it should be in top 50%.
2. CD57 or CD58 is in the lowest 20th percentile
3. Free testosterone is in 10th percentile or below
4. In 5% of patients the testosterone or free testosterone is over the normal range.
5. DHEA is in lower 20%. Or rarely is it fully over the top level.
6. Free dihydrotestosterone is in the lowest 20th percentile or well over the normal range.
7. Epstein Barr Virus is abnormal in any measure. [This virus is believed to be positive over normal positive levels in the presence of infections or high inflammation.]
8. On the Western Blot, IgG or IgM any species specific band at any blood level, e.g., 18, 21, 23, 30, 31, 34, 37, 39, 83, 93.
9. A free T3 level under 2.8 [the normal bottom range in 1990 was 2.6; the influx of large numbers of elderly patients reset the healthy “normal” range].
10. Positive for viruses such as CMV, HHP-6, Coxsackie B Types 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Parvo B-19 or Powassan virus
11. Positive for Mycoplasma, e.g. mycoplasma pneumoniae.
12. The patient is positive for infections other than routine Lyme, [that is Borrelia burgdorferi sensu stricto, Borrelia afzelii and Borrelia garinii]. Some of the other infections also carried by infectious ticks, fleas or other vectors include Babesia (duncani, microti or other), Anaplasma (HGA), Ehrlichia (various species/strains), Rocky Mountain or other Spotted Fevers, Brucellosis, Leptospirosis, Q-fever, STARI (Master’s Disease), Malaria, and Bartonella [e.g., B. henselae, B. quintana, B. elizabethae and B. melophagi]. Once tests are commercially available for testing all forms of protozoa affecting humans, including FL1953, all Bartonella species, and Borrelia miyamotoi and other Lyme species, reporting should increase.
13. IL-B is in lowest 10th percentile
14. IL-6 is in lowest 10th percentile
15. TNF-alpha is under 2, or in lowest 20th percentile
16. A WBC count was, or is, under 4.5
17. Eosinophil level in the CBC manual exam is either at 0-1 or 6-7
18. Total manual Eosinophil level is 140 or less
19. XRAY or other study shows cartilage defects in excess of injury or age median
20. If a full auto-immunity panel is run with at least eight different tests, two are positive; for example, you have a positive anti-gliadin and a positive thyroid peroxidase.
21. Positive or near positive (borderline) ELISA, PCR, or a positive tissue biopsy; or a tick from your body is positive for Lyme or other tick infection
22. Lab tests show high inflammation, e.g., a high C4a, elevated cholesterol and C-peptide. These are never specific just for Lyme
23. Lab tests show a MSH level under 30 [the reference range of 0-40 is due to the increase of very sick patients tested, and 40-85 is a better reference range which was used before the flood of the sick reset the range of normal]. MSH is an anti-inflammatory hormone.
24. VIP is under 20. This is an anti-inflammation chemical.

BODY EXAMINATION RESULTS

25. Weight loss or gain in excess of 20 pounds in 12 weeks
26. A round or oval rash with a dark center was or is present in a loose “bulls-eye pattern.” Other size and shape rashes that have no other cause after exposure to ticks and vectors.
27. Healing is slow after scratches or surgery. For example, after a cat scratch, flea bite or tick bite the mark is still visible later.
28. Skin on arms, hands or feet has a texture like rice paper.
29. Clear reaction and effect seen with antibiotic treatment. Specifically, a marked improvement or worsening of a serious medical problem or function is observed with a spirochete killing treatment, e.g., doxycycline, tetracycline, minocycline, any penicillin such as amoxicillin, azithromycin, clarithromycin or cefuroxime.
30. Presence of skin tags, red papules of any size, excess blood vessels compared to peers, and stretch marks with color or in significant excess of peers.
31. Moles and raised or hard plaques in excess of the few on normal skin.
32. Areas of skin with ulcerations such as those seen in syphilis, but at any location on the body.
33. Areas of clear hypo-pigmentation and hyper-pigmentation
34. Positive ACA (Acrodermatitis chronica atrophicans) which is a sign of long term untreated Lyme disease. Some report ACA begins as a reddish-blue patch of discolored skin, often of the hands or feet. It may include the back in some patients. The lesion slowly atrophies over months to years, with many developing skin that is thin, dry, hairless, wrinkled and abnormally colored. The color of the extremities such as hands and feet can be red, dark red, brown, dark blue or purple.
SAMPLE NEUROLOGY EXAM
35. Patient’s short-term memory is poor. For example, if asked to recall these numbers—23, 5, 76, 43 and 68—the patient cannot recall them.
36. Patient cannot reverse four numbers, so if given—18, 96, 23 and 79—the patient cannot do it.
37. If asked to subtract 17 from 120, (college graduate), it cannot be done in a timely manner. If a high school graduate, subtract 7 from 100 and continue to subtract by 7 four times in 20 seconds.
38. Light headedness upon standing quickly in excess of peers, and with no clear cause
39. Dizziness unrelated to position
40. Dizziness made worse by Lyme killing antibiotics
41. Trouble doing a nine step heel to toe straight line walk test with fingers slightly in pockets [The patient should not sway or need their hands pulled out to prevent a fall]. In patients with past experience in skating, skiing, dance or ballet this should be very easy and is rarely a challenge to such people. If it is not easy, it is suspicious medically, but not only for Lyme disease.
42. Trouble performing a one leg lift, in which one leg is lifted 12-18 inches off the ground in front of you, as you count, e.g., “one Mississippi, two Mississippi, etc.”
43. Positive nystagmus [your eye jerks when you look right or left]

PATIENT’S REPORTED PHYSICAL HISTORY

44. Illnesses that come and go and decrease functioning with no certain cause
45. Serious illnesses that undermine function with no clear cause, and which affect more than one body organ
46. An abnormal lab result, physical exam finding or illness that is given many diagnoses or has no clear cause.
47. Mild to severe neurological disorders or psychiatric disorders
48. A very profound neurological disease which does not clearly fit the labs, studies and course of the illness
49. A moderate or severe medical, psychiatric or neurological illness. [Many severe disorders can be associated with spirochetes such as those causing syphilis, and some propose that Lyme is also related to a well-known serious brain disease].
50. Severe medical, psychiatric or neurology illness with uncommon features, such as Parkinson’s disease, appearing at a young age
51. Facial paralysis (Bell’s palsy)
52. Personality has changed negatively and significantly for no clear reason.
53. Psychosis at any age, but especially after 40 years of age when usually it would have already manifested itself
54. Severe anxiety
55. Mania or profound rage
56. Depression
57. Depression or anxiety that did not exist when you were less than 25 years of age
58. Irritability
59. Any one of the following: paranoia, dementia, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, panic attacks, major depression, anorexia nervosa or obsessive-compulsive disorder.
60. Adult onset ADHD/ADD [Primary psychiatric biological ADD or ADHD is present at 7 years of age. Adult onset is a sign of a medical condition.]
61. Increased verbal or physical fighting with others
62. Functioning at work or in parenting is at least 20% reduced
63. Patience and relational skills are decreased by 20% or more
64. A mild to profound decrease of insight, i.e., an infected patient does not see their decreased function, failed treatment or personality change
65. A new eccentric rigidity to hearing new medical or other important information
66. Difficulty thinking or concentrating
67. Poor memory and reduced ability to concentrate
68. Increasingly difficult to recall names of people or things
69. Difficulty speaking or reading
70. Difficulty finding the words to express what you want to say
71. Inability to learn new information as well as in the past [receptive learning]
72. Repeating stories or forgetting information told to close relations, such as a spouse, roommate, sibling, best friend or parent
73. Confusion without a clear reason
74. An addiction that results in relapse in spite of sincere, reasonable and serious efforts to stop
75. Fatigue in excess of normal, or fatigue that is getting worse
76. Trouble sleeping including mild to severe insomnia and disrupted sleep
77. Sleep in excess of 9 hours a day or night, or sleeping in excess of 9 hours every day if allowed
78. Trouble falling asleep
79. Trouble staying asleep [Taking a 5 minute bathroom break does not count]
80. Gastritis or stomach sensitivity not caused by H. Pylori
81. Intestinal troubles that are unable to be fully managed and/or which have no clear diagnosis
82. Nausea without a clear reason
83. Sensitivity to lights, sounds, touch, smell or unusual tastes
84. Sensitivity to cleaning chemicals, fragrances and perfumes
85. Ear problems such as pain or increased ear “pressure.”
86. Any trouble with the senses (vision, sound, touch, taste or smell). The use of corrective lenses or contacts does not count, unless the prescription is changed more than expected.
87. Buzzing or ringing in ears
88. Double vision, floaters, dry eyes, or other vision trouble
89. Conjunctivitis (pinkeye) or occasional damage to deep tissue in the eyes
90. Blood clots fast when you get a cut, or you have a diagnosed problem with clotting. This may also be seen in blood draws where blood draw needle clots when blood is being removed. If on a blood thinner, blood thinness level goes up and down too much.
91. Cardiac impairment
92. Chest pain with all labs and studies in normal range
93. Occasional rapid heartbeats (palpitations)
94. Heart block/heart murmur
95. Heart valve prolapse
96. Shortness of breath with no clear cause on pulmonary function tests, examination, lab testing, X-rays, MRI’s, etc.
97. Air hunger or feelings of shortness of breath
98. Someone in your neighborhood within 400 yards in any direction of your dwelling has been diagnosed with a tick borne infection. [This includes vacation locations].
99. You have someone living with you with any type of tick-borne infection—this assumes they were not merely tested for one infection. [it is not proven that the small Lyme-carrying ticks only carry Lyme, and it is possible some carry other infections without carrying Lyme at all].
100. You have removed any ticks from your body in your lifetime.
101. You have removed ticks from your clothing in your lifetime.
102. After a tick or bug bite, you had a fever for at least 48 hours.
103. After a tick or bug bite, you were ill.
104. Grew up or played in areas with many small wild mammals.
105. When you are in a room that has visible mold or smells like mold and you start to feel ill, you do not return to your baseline health in 24 hours.
106. Any discomfort within two minutes of being in a musty or moldy location
107. Gaining or losing weight in a manner clearly inconsistent with diet and exercise
108. New or more food allergies than ten years ago
109. Feel worse after eating breads, pasta or sweets
110. No longer tolerate or enjoy alcohol
111. Anti-histamines are bothersome, more so than in the past.
112. Reaction to medications is excessive (you are very “sensitive” to medications)
113. Your response to antibiotics is significantly positive and you feel more functional, or you have the opposite reaction and feel worse, feeling ill, fatigued or agitated.
114. Numbness, tingling, burning, or shock sensations in an area of skin
115. One or more troublesome skin sensations that move over months or years and do not always stay in one location
116. Rash or rashes without a simple and obvious cause
117. Rashes that persist despite treatment
118. Eccentric itching with no clear cause
119. Hair loss with no clear cause
120. Muscle pain or cramps
121. Muscle spasms
122. Muscle wasting without a clear cause
123. Trouble with your jaw muscle(s) or joint insomnia (TMJ)
124. Joint defects in one joint with no clear cause if 20 or younger
Joint defects in two joints or more if 35 or younger
Joint defects in three or more locations if younger than 55 with no clear trauma
125. Swelling or pain (inflammation) in the joints. [Most patients never have joint disease].
126. Joint pain that shifts location
127. Neck stiffness
128. Chronic arthritis with or without episodes of swelling, redness, and fluid buildup
129. Chronic pain in excess of what seems reasonable
130. Nerve pain without a clear cause
131. Headaches that do not respond fully to treatment, or which are getting worse
132. New allergies or increased allergies over those of your peers
133. Any autoimmunity–Lyme and other tick infections, over many years, increase inflammation and decrease anti-inflammation chemicals. We believe this leads to increased food sensitivities, increased autoimmunity and a heightened sensitivity to various chemicals and medications.
134. Day time sweats
135. Night time sweats
136. Chills
137. Flu-like symptoms
138. Bladder dysfunction of any kind
139. Treatment resistant interstitial cystitis
140. Abnormal menstrual cycle
141. Decreased or increased libido
142. Increased motion sickness
143. Fainting
144. A spinning sensation or vertigo

Oh right - this is what you were talking about.

Do you guys really want me to respond to that? I understand some people are drawn to more 'speculative' stuff. You know Im highly sceptical of it all and I get the feeling people tend to get emotionally invested in this debate and Id rather not get people angry.

Do you read that stuff there about Lyme and not wonder? Do you think a medical researcher would use terms like 'anti-inflammatory chemicals'? What does that actually mean? How can you say that various cytokines are 'in the 20th percentile'? Cytokines by their very nature fluctuate and are never fixed. How can cytokines be low yet signs of 'inflammation' are apparent? Its very easily to attribute any subjective symptom to that description.

My general feeling is if we assume there are about 24 research based potential etiologies of POTS and maybe another 50 speculative ones made up by GPs or patients the best way to measure their validity is to just look at the basics. Does what im reading stand up to basic understandings of physiology?

the dr. who figured out the serious ulcers are most often caused by e poli and treated his patients with antibiotics for the parasite had to swallow the bugs himself to prove his theory took him over 15 years of critizism of his "speculations" and now that is common knowledge and how those ulcers are treated. not mad at ya, just saying.

I think there may be some relevance to this or I wouldn't be pursuing it myself. So, not sure if it will be the complete answer ---but, think it may be a part of the picture.

It's obvious that this isn't a professionally written article, but a list of what symptoms those patients found - and they were found to be positive with Lyme's. Whether or not it really was related to Lyme or it was something else going on - these patients and this doctor felt like it was connected.

I think that science is advancing and I do think that time will tell. If, we are for sure infected with some sort of protozoa or bacteria or co-infection and we get it either killed or under control ---it has to improve us in some ways. It is a long drawn out process and it will take time. As us with POTS have to go even slower than someone who isn't trying to work with dysfunctional autonomic systems. But, I'm already having some success and my CBC blood test are showing improvements. We will see what time will bring. Even my husband who was very skeptical to start with is encouraging me to stick with this diet and to not go off it. He, in fact, is saying he plans to do it more himself. He is not a sick person at all ---but, sees the changes in me and thinks it is a positive thing. We even had our Anniversary today and went out to eat and he helped me to order and stay on my diet ---yet have a lovely meal. Then we went shopping to two stores and to a movie. That was a busy day and lots of fun. So, I am better.

Keep an open mind you skeptics and wait and see how it goes. If it would totally reverse some things for us (and it is my kidney function) that would be wonderful. We will see what time brings. Keep smiling!!! :) We're all looking for answers.

Issie

someone suggested 2 me regarding why pots and perisites are related, and why giirls are more affected than men...twell, as i underatand pots is more common im fm anway.is there is a difference in our biochemistry i hope all u galls out there are not insulted but it does make some sense...you gotta appreciate that we can be ******..is it hormones that make us more susceptable to POTS?.

Because of their body size, hormones, and biochemistry, women are not as action-oriented as men. They are weaker physically, so they don’t make as good robbers and rapists. They are less often presidents of nations, so they can’t start the wars. Most women stay at home or work in schools or offices.,

Action is a constructive response to a need or threat. Anger is simply an adrenal “preparatory action” in response to need or threat. Men, who are bigger and stronger, and who command more power in most societies, tend to respond with action. Women get angry, also, but do not act as much as men do. Men discharge their fears and their upsets through action. Women tend to discharge their fear through anger and perhaps turn it inward and become depressed.

This can cause some women to become irritable, “******”, depressed, upset, or underhanded in their methods of hitting back against those whom they think have hurt them. This can be very subtle and hard to detect. Most of their anger is directed at their mates and their families, because this is where women live most of the time. A lot of their anger is also directed inward, where it causes suppression of emotions, depression and often diseases and emotional upset.

Woah. Angela... your post is just so incredibly at odds with the way I think that I feel compelled to respond. I am actually horrified. Not insulted, but quite distressed that you think this way.

I am disturbed that after all the work that has gone in over the years, it is still possible for someone to genuinely think that dysautonomias might be caused by anger. It is a simplistic generalisation to suggest, as you did that:
"A lot of their (women's) anger is also directed inward, where it causes suppression of emotions, depression and often diseases and emotional upset".

In many of our cases we don't know what the physiological cause of our dysautonomia is. I am pretty dang sure I didn't catch it from being born a female!

Just my opinion.

I'm trying to understand what you are saying Angela. It almost feels like there is something we are missing as to why you posted what you did. (There was a bit of a debate and questioning about whether or not Lyme could play a part in dysautonomia. And somehow it turned to anger of women, men causing it - etc.) I'm not sure what that has to do with parasites and protozoa. I'm not seeing the connection between women, anger, hormones and this. I'm really CONFUSED . . . . . . Can you maybe explain the relevance here?

Issie

women are 4x more likely to have/get pots then men yet we have a higher "tolerance" for stress is proven. wasn't meaning to offend or suggest women are "angrier" then men in general. someone was questioning me if pots could be parasite related than why would pots affect women 4x more then men. the only thing I could think of at that moment is that we have sweeter blood. I guess I will do some more looking into that question. but, i'm not sold that pots is always parasite related but in many cases. but, question remains, why women?

also, giraffe, it is known that harboring anger does cause health issues. ie. type A personalities are more predispositioned to heart attack/stroke. I am not saying that you are angry, nor anyone on this forum and that's the cause of pots.... but your personality and how you handle stress, at what level of stress you can cope and later have issues is certainly proven truth.

also, giraffe, it is known that harboring anger does cause health issues. ie. type A personalities are more predispositioned to heart attack/stroke. I am not saying that you are angry, nor anyone on this forum and that's the cause of pots.... but your personality and how you handle stress, at what level of stress you can cope and later have issues is certainly proven truth.

No, I know what you are trying to say, I believe that wellbeing is related to your whole self. I just have a trigger happy feminist switch and took exception to the generalisations about men and women. Ignore me! :-)

why are women more likely to have autoimmune conditions? is it estrogen/hormone related or what? I have never seen any explanation on that. they say pots can hit due to stress, but if women are more stress tolerant than ***?

Perhaps take a look at this. I don't know that it is well-understood. But it may have to do with how immune systems differ.

http://www.aarda.org/women_and_autoimmunity.php

It's interesting that they are connecting autoimmune things and POTS so much lately.

Since we're on a thread about protozoa and organisms in the blood ---it is interesting that there is the connection with too thick blood. As the bio-films that we have in our blood that protect these organisms can cause issues with the flow of our blood. The doc says that this bio-film adheres to the blood vessel walls and causes issues with flow. It would make sense that it could also cause problems with the thickness of the blood too. (Interesting that about APS and that it is antibiodies against fat found in the cell walls. This protozoa that I'm treating ---the main thing about the diet is to go low fat. Because it has been found that fat feeds this protozoa. The above article that was posted. Says that APS goes along with a lot of the autoimmune illnesses and cause overly thick blood. Hummm, interesting --isn't it?)

If you think about a simple yeast infection and what that does to you. It makes a person really miserable. It can affect the GI, skin, moods and emotions, energy . . . .and the list goes on. What would something in our blood be doing to us? It is also known that when you start to have a die off of these organisms they can release toxins and heavy metals that our bodies have to process.

We have gravity that helps with blood flow below the heart. It's the return of blood to the heart and above heart level that seems to be a big issue. If our blood is too thick or the flow is hindered or we maybe have too much bio-film and protozoa/bacteria and our immune system isn't taking care of them and keeping it all in check ----it would make sense that this could cause some issues with us.

I don't know if this is the "whole" problem. But, I know with me it is "part" of the problem. And, getting this in check should make a huge difference.

One way to understand bio-films is sort of like the tarter that we get on our teeth. That is a bio-film. It has bacteria in it that will destroy our enamel if we don't get it off. It attaches and forms a hard protective coating to house the bacteria inside of it. This is what houses the protozoa in our blood. Our immune systems can't detect it and destroy it and it continues to multiply and cause issues within our bodies. It is known that certain types of organisms can cause problems with the immune system, issues with organs, blood flow, hormones, etc.

One of the best articles I've read on bio-films is this one. (It is rather long but, if you can get through it you will see how it can affect the immune system and cause all sorts of problems with our bodies.)

http://bacteriality.com/2008/05/26/biofilm/

Issie

I am not sure if it is primarily a matter of female hormones influencing outcomes, I realise that much available research shows this high female ratio re autoimmune conditions but I still think it is far more linked to familial pre disposition. My family for example, I have 3 children 2 boys one girl all affected by autonomic nervous system dysfunction, as am I, my late dad, his dad many cousins male and female alike.

To be honest what I can say I have noticed from my family going back some generations was that as the men were the primary bread winners, they never bothered with Dr.'s until it was too late. So my guessing is that regardless of modern culture, men properly do not bother to present to their Dr.'s even when they are very ill, thus the statistics will tend to be female heavy.