Respiratory Failure

Jacquie802

Just wondering if POTS can cause up to stop breathing. Last night I had a horrible time breathing. I took .5mg of ativan which seemed to help. Feels like I am not getting enough oxygen at times..

Jacquie802:

My daughter, who has POTS, has this feeling of shortness of breath several times per day. We have pulmonary tests run and all the tests say that her lungs and oxygen level are fine.

We have not found anything that helps (since she is so sensitive to meds she can't even take Ativan) so she just has to wait until the feeling passes.

I also get short-of-breath and feel like my chest is constricted - just not getting enough air. The way it was explained to me was this is due to poor circulation to the chest wall muscles. When the chest muscles don't get the proper circulation, they tighten up and that causes the constriction feeling - also causes the sensation of being short of breath - if it occurs at night while trying to sleep, then it can be relieved somewhat by elevating the head and chest about 30-degrees - I sleep on a wedge-pillow and 2 other pillows every night. During the day, it helps promote proper circulation by wearing the compressive garments - especially the abdominal ones. This keeps blood from pooling in the mesenteric arteries and veins of the abdomen and forces blood to circulate upward to the chest and above.........

It's an aweful feeling and scary. Where can I find the abdominal compression garments?