Discouraged

jkoconne

I was happy to finally say I took 4 classes this semester. Well finals came and i expected a flare of symptoms. It happened every finals weeks due to stress but i thought I was preparing this time. And my flare up was minimal.

Well, last night I started getting a sore throat. Woke up in the night with a fever and serious tachy. I kept changing positions, waiting for it to go down and then back to sleep...then repeat every 15-30mins. I have a calc finaly tonight at 7pm, My teacher and the department said no exceptions for missing the final. Did i mention its 25% of my grade...ugh!

So ive been in bed all day trying to keep my hr under 130 and my head to get better from this terrible fog. I usually drink a min of 90oz a day but today ive only got down 18 due to my throat and stomach pain/neausa. Im thinking it could be the flu but i dont know for sure.. So off to the ER after the final to check out my chest pain and get fluids through IV :( Oh boy do i hate the hospital...! But want to keep myself from an even worse set back.

Sorry for the negative attitude but today is extra crummy..

So sorry you are feeling crappy. I know what you mean about flare ups when you least need them. I am trying to get ready for Christmas and yet not overdue it. My daughter has a tournament this weekend that I really want to be at. Now last weekend, I felt pretty darn good, you know how you start to think, " if I could feel like this, it would be okay. I mean, I am still not better, but manageable" and then bam its back. I began feeling bad Sunday night, and I have tried to find that balance of not doing too much and not doing too little. Of course, today I feel worse and am so hoping it turns to better before Saturday.

I hope your body took a surprising turn for the better before your final.

Strange question - but do you have documentation of your POTS as a disabling condition? If it is (and you have that documentation), the professor and the department cannot (legally) refuse to let you reschedule the final (assuming that it doesn't fundamentally change the structure of the class, which seems unlikely for a calc final). I don't know if you do, but might be something to consider.

(also, wow, anybody who says you can't reschedule the final when you are planning to go straight from there to the ER needs a serious reality check)

Jk, goodness ur a brave soul...calc finals on their own give me anxiety....lol i hope ur feeling better and positive energy sent ur way that u aced it! Hang in there, ur an inspiration to not let pots get in the way of ur goals....=)

I hope you're feeling better. Wow! I can't imagine taking an exam while being sick on top of having dysautonomia. As K&ajsmom said, you are brave! Nevertheless, I would have tried to enlighten my teacher by bringing them documentation on POTS and showing them my racing HR. I think more ppl need to be informed on this invisible illness. And maybe they would have been more indulgent if they had known what you have been going through. Maybe no exceptions didn't include illness, especially when you can prove you're sick. Sometimes people's reaction can positively surprise us once they're informed.

Thank you all for your kind words! My final went....okay i hope. I didnt leave anything blank but i dont know if I did well enough to get a passing grade :( If not, I will bring in documentation and aruge with him. My documentation through the disabilty resoucre center has taken forever...and that how I could have MAYBE changed the time/date. So increabily frustrating!

My classmates laughed when they saw my mom drop me off at a college final. Then i said I was sick and couldnt make it on my own. One of the kids goes "your always sick" me: "ya, i have a chronic illness" Him: What? Me: do you know what your autonomic system is? Him: Ya, just learned about it in biology. Me: Well mine doesnt work correctly. Him: Oh wow, your a trooper!

I left campus and went right to the ER. Turns out I have to flu :( Im doing much better now. The fulids and antineausa medication helped sooo very much! But now my body is still recovering.

Thank you again for the support when I was having a down day. Truely means a lot to me :)