What Causes Your Musculoskeletal Pain?

looneymom

Since my son has been diagnoised with POTS, he has always complained of pain all over. He does not have EDS or fibromialga. He has been seen by a rheumatologist. His pain level goes up after he exercises. He is also very sensitive to touch ( like to press down on leg, arm, ect..). His scalp is tender to touch and he is not able to tolerate clippers against his scalp. He has had defiencies with iron and D levels. These levels have come up and his headache is finally gone. But I am wondering what would be causing this other pain. Could this be a bone pain? He has not been checked for MCAS. Do mcas patients have this kind of pain? What other illnesses would cause musculoskeletal pain?

Hi. I have just been dx'ed with EDS after being told I have fibromyalgia several times by several different rheumatologists. They frankly didn't know what to look for to properly diagnose EDS. My diagnosing geneticist checked things on me that no other doctor (and there have been 30 some of them including Hopkins rheumys) have checked. She also paid attention to several symptoms that I have told all the other docs about only to receive blank stairs in return. I would not rule out EDS without an expert opinion...even my last rheumy sent me to the geneticist as she suspected it but said she wasn't an expert. All of that being said, you may want to look up two other things:1)allodynia 2) myofascial trigger points (and Dr. Dommerholt). Hope you get to the cause of his pain soon. I have lived with the pain for many years and its no fun but there is help. I know it's expensive but you might be able to find a massage therapist in your area that specializes in myofascial trigger points ( we all have them) and that may give him some relief until you track down a diagnosis. Also a good workbook recommended to me by the geneticist is "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook " by Claire Davies. You could read it as well as him and help him with areas like the scalp that are harder to work on for yourself. Please let him know he is not alone

..my scalp is sore too...like every inch of me is bruised all the time.

I wish I knew! The one most constant symptom I have had since my symptoms started a year and a half ago is a sharp stabbing pain in my left arm. No one knows what it is. I even got an x-ray on it, but it showed nothing. Since then I have also had burning pain in my forearms and thighs as well as twitching muscles, TMJ, and uneven pupil dilation--all neuromuscular stuff I believe. The docs usually just give me a blank stare or stutter about Fibromyalgia or "some kind of peripheral neuropathy." Please let us know if you figure it out.

All sorts of illnesses cause musculosketal pain, including abnormal pain post-exercise eg some neuromuscular diseases that result in sudden changes in elecrolytes post exercise, such as the periodic paralyses (they don't necessarily cause paralysis). Most doctors don't know about these rare disorders, but there is plenty of information if you want to do a google search.

With best wishes

Dianne