Anxiety Leaving The House

Jacquie802

Just wondering if anyone else has severe anxiety about being away from home...? I am always worried that I am going to get severely dizzy when I am out and it has really affected me. I have never passed out and I try to remind myself of that, but I still worry. Then of course the anxiety makes my symptoms worse. I guess I am wondering what everyone who experiences this does to cope.

Thank you for your reply! I have seen a therapist for 6 years; I've had POTS for 9 years. I am thinking about going back on Zoloft bc my anxiety has made me ALOT worse. Some dr have said that SSRIs may help with Bp and heart rate problems. I am on Ativan .5mg twice a day so I can leave for a few hours at a time, if its a good day...

Same thing happens to me all the time. Sometimes I just have to grin and bear it. It's a good thing that I am a natural home body, but it does wear on my children (whom I homeschool) and my husband. I was put on Xanax a while back and sometimes I have to double the dose before I go anywhere, whether I'm driving or not. Sometimes I get stressed out days before I know I have to go out and that just makes it worse. I don't have any answers really, like I said, most of the time I just have to grin and bear it. Firstly, I never go anywhere by myself. Since being diagnosed with POTS, I find it too stressful to drive and I still get very anxious about going anywhere. The only thing that slightly helps is when my security blanket aka: husband is with me and even then it takes me a while to fully relax. I try to tell myself, what's the worst that can happen? I might have an episode, but my (teenage) children are always with me and can either call their dad or the EMT's if necessary. I also try to tell myself to relax. I know it seems easier said than done. I used to carry a "Praying the Psalms" book in my car and have the children recite certain prayers to me while I drove; it was truly a blessing. Try to find what works best for you.

A little note on seeing a therapist. I tried this once and it was horrid! However, that is not to say (at all) that this cannot help. You just need to make sure you find one that fits what you are looking for and dealing with. When I went to one, she didn't know what POTS was and was more of an anxiety therapist which I was all for until I had to hear all about HER anxiety during every session. I still think I should try again, just haven't gotten the courage up yet. Don't dispare though, it might take a few to get to one that you really connect to. I think it is worth a try as well.

Hoping you get some answers.

YES!!! I have extreme anxiety when going somewhere or really doing anything upright. It was much worse in the beginning I think because half of what I thought was anxiety, was actually adrenaline and low bp. Ive been on zoloft for a little over 2 months now and it has helped alot of that shaky anxious feeling that I think was a physical response to my nervous system being out of whack. I still have massive anxiety over going out because of the heart issues,low bp and fainting, however the zoloft is giving me a bit of bravery to try to push past it.

When everyone is trying to push me to get out more, I have to remind myself to do what I can, when Im ready and not a minute before, because the stress of worrying about the anxiety and getting out was becoming a mounting problem. I had to take the pressure off myself to help reduce the anxiety. I do push myself to get out and do a little bit but like you it effects my symptoms as well and have to retreat to my couch for awhile.

SInce this started with me, Ive wondered while Ive read some posts on here, how some of you amazing people function and work and live.....I folded like a deck of cards when it hit me and I wish I was brave enough to get out and function with my pulse racing. Im scared to even move sometimes. eek I think I need a therapist too lol (seriously) :blink:

Great topic.

Im a little different, I get nervous when I get any distance away from a hospital, or potential help if I need it.

Anything more than a 15 minute drive to an ER and I get a little nervous.

Same thing when i go walking (slowly) or when its hot outside. We always walk uphill so that i can "walk down" home if i get into trouble.

Sometimes I walk alongside a bicycle uphill so i can coast back if needed. Havnt really had to do that yet.

One time i felt really strong one morning and set off and got a little too far from the car. THat last ten minutes i was beating myself for letting that happen.

Another thing is the condition of the tires on my car on a long trip. I picture being stranded somewhere in the middle of the night, not feeling strong enough to change a tire in the dark, and being stuck there.

These are all the annoying things that none of us thought of before getting sick.

Great topic.

Im a little different, I get nervous when I get any distance away from a hospital, or potential help if I need it.

Anything more than a 15 minute drive to an ER and I get a little nervous.

Same thing when i go walking (slowly) or when its hot outside. We always walk uphill so that i can "walk down" home if i get into trouble.

Sometimes I walk alongside a bicycle uphill so i can coast back if needed. Havnt really had to do that yet.

One time i felt really strong one morning and set off and got a little too far from the car. THat last ten minutes i was beating myself for letting that happen.

Another thing is the condition of the tires on my car on a long trip. I picture being stranded somewhere in the middle of the night, not feeling strong enough to change a tire in the dark, and being stuck there.

These are all the annoying things that none of us thought of before getting sick.

Thank you for all your replies. I feel safest at home, however, I always make sure I am near a hospital or close to fire dept should anything happen. I am going back on Zoloft, because I can't deal with POTS and anxiety. Maybe if I treat my anxiety the POTS will calm down..?

Again, I really appreciate your replies. I know you guys understand what I'm going through :o)

I don't think I get "anxious" but I do get a bit apprehensive when I go out. If there's a lot of people around me or load music it does a number on my ANS. Fluorescent lights make me ill too, So I dread going some places because I know I will eventually feel unwell. I don't go out or drive alone because I know the outside stimuli will make my condition worse.

Its the whole lifestyle change that people around us dont get. We have to think these things ahead of time.

Until it happens to them, they just cannot get it. But we have to be confident that we know our bodies and in the end

dont care what "ignorant" (uninformed) people think.