Making Doctor Appointments

SeattleRain

Has anyone else here struggled with early doctor appointments? I have to see a special cardiologist for a TTT and the only openings he has for a month are early morning around 9am. I'd have to wake up around 7 which to be realistic, is not going to happen. So, I have to wait until mid January to see him at 4pm.

A little off topic - I was talking to a friend who lived in eastern Europe for a couple years and said they still do doctor house calls there - even for regular appointments. Wouldn't that be nice? Just put the TT in your van and drive over, dude!

My internal medicine doctor makes house calls! I live too far away from him(an hour), but it's nice that some of his local patients can be seen at home.

I have trouble with morning appts., also, but not as bad as I anticipated. The biggest problem is my brain does not "wake" up until afternoon, so when I have a morning appt., I don't feel that I am "with it" when communicating all my issues. I do usually have my notes written down, but I still don't have my brain helping me out.

Wow, a house call would be awesome! I wish more doctors in the US would do that, but I think most have the attitude that medicine is "big business" and it wouldn't be worth their time :/ Sad that even with all the advances in technology and new tools at our disposal, doctors seem to actually care less than ever before. At least that's been my perception.

I can't do morning appointments either. I had to be at the hospital at 7:45 for my TTT and I was like a zombie. For my cardio appointments, I never schedule them before 12:30. I just can't think in the morning and I feel sicker. I agree with sue1234, making notes ahead of time and bringing them with you is the best way to outsmart the brain fog!

Seattle: Lol..I can just picture the doc coming up the walkway with a TT strapped to his/her back :lol:

I'm not sure if you are someone whose orthostatic symptoms ease up a little as the day goes on, but it is common for that to happen for some potsies. I know that I've read somewhere that it is a good idea for that reason to have your tilt in the morning - so you can be sure it's giving an accurate picture of what's happening. Just thought you might want to keep that in mind, in case it applies to you. I'm with you on the early mornings though, I don't schedule appts before 11...

House calls? That makes me want to move to the Netherlands!

I used to struggle w the early morn appts too but now I tend to function better in the AM. And now prefer anything I do be first thing. Im still dealing with most/if not all of the same Dysautonomia symptoms but Before I was homebound w severe exertional intolerance. I started Mestinon and an intense exercise protocol (modeled after Dr. Levine's) last March- slowly but surely I've improved my functioning. It's been very much like one step forward and two steps back. Because workingout often wipes me out requiring hours of rest to recover. Although I still have plenty of days whereImin bed at home, most days I'm able to get out and run a few errands. I just have to be careful to not overdue like I did today- now in bed with the "been hit by a Mack truck" feeling.

In general, I try to make my doctor appointments in the afternoon. But occasionally I need to do an appointment in the morning. In that case, I have my husband or my mom take me to the appointment. And I make sure to have the rest of the day open so I can lie in bed and recover from leaving the house in the morning.

For morning appointments (especially ones that aren't just "check in/med review" types, e.g. with new doctors) I try and bring my partner - he can help me get there (walking/guidance/bus) and can keep tabs on what's going on. You might ask for the afternoon appointment but ask to be put on the waiting list in case someone cancels earlier - probably won't help but worth a shot!

Id take whatever appointment they can give you the earliest, and then try to get a cancellation before then.

These people are busy. Your health is more important than convience.

I kind of disagree. We all know that having a chronic illness means that doc appts. become a constant part of your life, so it's important to prioritize and balance them. If I have a Cardio appt. because my doc thinks something urgent might be going on, heck yeah I do whatever it takes to get in asap. A ttt, on the other hand, is important but not necessarily urgent, so I would try to make it fit into my life a little easier. For the first year of my illness I let medical stuff take over my life for two reasons: 1. Because I thought that my condition might be urgent, and 2. because I thought that once I got a diagnosis I would get treated and it would be over. So why not do whatever it takes to get it over with quickly, right? Ha, nope. I'm diagnosed but still sick and probably will be for a very long time, so I believe that balance is essential for making life with a chronic illness bearable.