How To Stop Drinking Coffee..?!

Leigh8

So I am thinking of cutting out caffeine in order to see whether it will help my constant lightheadedness. I currently drink about 3 cups of coffee a day. When I don't drink it for a day, I get awful headaches so I am a bit worried about cutting it out!

Does anyone else have any experience on cutting out caffeine? Did you stop cold turkey, or gradually decrease your intake?

Thanks!

Caffeine withdrawal will do that to you! It definitely isn't very fun and gradually decreasing your intake may be the only realistic route for some people. My Dad had to switch to green tea, then slowly stopped drinking that.

I quit cold turkey a little over a year ago and did not have any negative side effects. I made it a point to drink a ton of water (around 4/5th's of a gallon (spring water) per day). If you struggle with that, you could try drinking a tall glass each hour after waking up (2 tall glasses the first hour) and that should amount to enough. I've never had a single headache while drinking this much.

Wean off gradually. I only drank one mug, anyway, but I drank iced tea, too, so I started with half caffeinated and half decaf; I just bought some wonderful flavored decaf coffee at Fresh Market, Pumpkin Spice, but it was expensive. Even decaf coffee has some caffeine, according to my ANS doctor, but you are messing with your nervous system by still drinking all that caffeine. It's kind of like going against what your meds are helping to calm you...Try the flavored decaf coffee, herbal tea or Constant Comment decaf...it's good!! :)

Theres caffeine in decaf so that might help wean off.

Id say it takes about a month before the cravings leave.

After that its the jolt of energy you miss in the afternoons.

I occasionally take a couple gulps of my wifes coffee in the am, but i limit it to that.

The added benefit is eliminating stomach problems, acid, dingy teeth, and for some the hot

subtance going into a body that wants to stay cool.

The only way I can go off of coffee is cold turkey. I must have an addictive personality, because it's all or nothing. This last time, I was on a new medication that was giving me terrible headaches, so I figured if I already had headaches, I might as well take that time to give up caffeine! Totally worked. Not saying this will work for you. But you never know.

I bought a coffee substitute from a health store.It's made from Guarana and at first i thought it was awful but now i am used to it.I also had to stop it cold turkey and the first few days i was sleepy and also suffered from headaches and constipation.Taking vitamins and magnesium helped me reduce the withdrawal symptoms.After 10 days i was fine.Now i drink one day skimmed milk with a teaspoon of honey and the other the guarana coffee alternative.