Tachy From Waking Up

imapumpkin

Has anyone else experienced tachycardia simply from waking up? Very frequently if I am awakened by anything other than my own body deciding it's done being unconscious my heart goes nuts and I won't even have moved or had my first conscious thought of the day. Getting woken up always feels like I've been startled. If my phone buzzes or the house phone rings or someone wakes me up I feel like someone has just jumped out at me and screamed BOO!!!!! and scared me into a pounding heart. Often I'll have a heart rate of 90-100 just laying in bed after a long sleep.

Does this happen to anyone else? It freaks me out.

I often wake up startled with my heart pounding. It races for few minutes than slows down. And I don't have nightmares.

I had my worst episodes while waking up (and driving) with heart rate at 160-170, caught on Holter's monitor. Those lasted for hours and it was before my diagnosis and Florinef.

I'm still tachy in the morning. I try to get out of bed very slowly. My standing heart rate in the morning varies from 100 to 130. Sometimes it gets down to below 100 within an hour. On other days it stays elevated until after I take Florinef, around 11 a.m.

I have this happen pretty frequently. I dont know if waking up gives me tachy or the tachy is what wakes me up. when I wake up with tachy (95-120bpm), whether it be in the morning after my alarm or randomly in the night, Im also very neasous. I usually need to take my zofran and wait for my HR to go back down to at least the 90's to get back to sleep. Raising the head of my bed has helped reduced how often I wake up in the middle of the night with tachy but it hasnt helped the morning situation.

I always seem to wake up with tachy. Not sure if that is what wakes me up or not..morning are very symptomatic times for me.

Yup! Especially if what woke me up was some alarm-type sound - cell phone vibrating (which could be a phone call!) or doorbell or door knocking or similar sounds all cause me to bolt upright and cause the heart rate to go up. I think it's some combination of sudden awakeness plus adrenaline saying "good morning!" It also doesn't help that my atenolol is wearing off right around my wakeup time, since I take it in the mornings.

Yes, unfortunately, we don't need an alarm...lol. We have one built in. I think it's our meds wearing off, and a combination of things. Our bodies seem to react to small stimulations in a heightened state especially when awakened, and our adrenaline kicks in. I've started to take my beta blocker in the morning and at night, half and half, and that has seemed to help, but I take klonopin at night, and I also have sleep apnea. I used to wake up in the middle of the night with tachycardia, and couldn't go back to sleep!! Many years of insomnia can get the best of you! I'm much better since I've been diagnosed and I'm on meds!!